How book-loving wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell joined an all-ladies book club

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
As a small antidote to all the Ferguson hate, I love this story about Malcolm Mitchell joining a book club with a bunch of middle ladies.

I saw a blurb on TV about it last night. Very sweet.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qmS26C08w].[/ame]

To many American college football fans, University of Georgia Bulldogs' wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell was a player with a lot of promise on the field. However, a series of knee injuries in the past year had forced Mitchell to spend more time rehabbing his injuries than playing in Athens, Georgia's Sanford Stadium.

While the journey to regain his athletic form has been frustrating for the 22-year-old, Mitchell also gained time to pursue one of his other passions: reading.

"Growing up as a kid, I didn't read at all," Mitchell said in a video produced by the University of Georgia. "I was always outside playing sports. And I developed a love of reading just over time."

In fact, a chance encounter with another book lover at a local Barnes and Nobles led Mitchell to join another kind of team - a book club entirely made up of middle-aged women.

(snip)

Mitchell, however, didn't expect to receive an invitation.

"I thought they were going to say 'no.' She had told me there were no males in there so [I thought] 'I don't have a chance.'"

But the ladies welcomed him over. And despite their substantial age and gender differences, Mitchell bonded with the club members over their shared love of reading. He now has made important friendships and sees them outside of the book club, as they always invite him over to hang out with their kids, eat with them, and just talk. And the book club continues to expose him to works of literature he never would have thought to pick up himself, such as The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.

"It's like I've been adopted into their family," he said.

How book-loving wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell joined an all-ladies book club | CBC Books | CBC Radio

YW. I get tired of all the bad news. It's refreshing to see something positive.

Forum List

Back