How Come Conservatives Aren't Really Conservative Today?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
My friend asterism just posted a video that made me think on today's brand of conservatism, aka Conservatism.

Every Conservative claims to be for "limited government" for "small government" when asked, and will quickly tell you that government should stay out of the lives of people. Yet the more Conservative a candidate or individual claim to be or are perceived to be, the more authoritarian their policies and supported policies are.

Here's the video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WJIUHybk7E]Rachel Maddow GOP conservatism authoritarian or libertarian - YouTube[/ame]

Mandatory drug tests, this is an EXTREMELY authoritarian policy that today's Conservative is very much for. That's the opposite of "stay out of our lives." Let's not forget all the social policies that invade people's bedrooms that just about every "Conservative" you can think of in public policy supports.

Why is this?

Switch Liberal with conservative and you have the same problem. No one wants to call themselves a big intrusive authoritarian that's a liberal, but in fact as Obama has shown, you all are. Hence the single party problem in America.

I really hope MadCow was not talking about ending public sector Unions forcing you to pay dues.... I ended the video there because it's just to stupid. Of course if it were the case that MadCow was making Republicans trying to end the Governments power grab on your freedom and rights by demanding you pay Union dues to have a Government job, well that would be all sorts of hypocritical and ironic given her boring speech.

My friend asterism just posted a video that made me think on today's brand of conservatism, aka Conservatism.

Every Conservative claims to be for "limited government" for "small government" when asked, and will quickly tell you that government should stay out of the lives of people. Yet the more Conservative a candidate or individual claim to be or are perceived to be, the more authoritarian their policies and supported policies are.

Here's the video...

Rachel Maddow GOP conservatism authoritarian or libertarian - YouTube

Mandatory drug tests, this is an EXTREMELY authoritarian policy that today's Conservative is very much for. That's the opposite of "stay out of our lives." Let's not forget all the social policies that invade people's bedrooms that just about every "Conservative" you can think of in public policy supports.

Why is this?

How come liberals aren't really liberal? Until you understand that you cannot ask one of those without asking the other, there is no sense even attempting to explain the issues here.

Here's the video...

Rachel Maddow GOP conservatism authoritarian or libertarian - YouTube

Why is this?

It's a good question.

Mandatory drug tests are recommended by those on the right only for those receiving government assistance.

Now a national healthcare system, that's a step beyond "mandatory drug tests" now isn't it? Why are so may liberals that profess to be liberals due to "personal freedom" so willing to give up that which is most private to them?

This is why I'm a registered Libertarian now.

Likely because they haven’t been ‘conservatives’ for well over 40 years.

Correct, elected Republicans have been far left to full progressive with their votes on policy. Thanks for clearing that up.

Or wait, now I bet you wana take that back.... Republicans only do evil things like start wars in Egypt, Libya and Syria... Only Republicans give corporations 0% tax rates, only Reps bail out the rich then call it a stimulus and claim they saved the country from a depression in doing so... Odd how all of that progressive policy sounds very much like neo-con policy, maybe that's because there is no such thing as far right and far left when it comes to growing the powers of Government. You either have small Government or large Government, there is no Republicans are Hitler and Dems are Stalin... You're the fucking same.

100% correct, today's GOP are a radical right wing fascist extremist group.

So, their Progressives then?

Hey don't get me wrong, I 100% agree the GOP are all for giant ass Government, massive deficits and eroding the constitutional limitations that should keep them in check. Luckily for these radical extreme fascists they have Progressives right there with them voting for the same policies and expanding them as Obama has done over and over and over and over... In fact I wonder if you can grant us all the list of repeals of these evil, vile fascist policies Republicans have done, by the wonderful democrats.

When you fail at doing that, and you will... I can provide a looooooooong list of expasions just under Obama's presidency of these horrible destructive policies if you like. Would you like that?

So, their Progressives then?

Hey don't get me wrong, I 100% agree the GOP are all for giant ass Government, massive deficits and eroding the constitutional limitations that should keep them in check. Luckily for these radical extreme fascists they have Progressives right there with them voting for the same policies and expanding them as Obama has done over and over and over and over... In fact I wonder if you can grant us all the list of repeals of these evil, vile fascist policies Republicans have done, by the wonderful democrats.

When you fail at doing that, and you will... I can provide a looooooooong list of expasions just under Obama's presidency of these horrible destructive policies if you like. Would you like that?

I don't disagree on many points, and having a center/right republican president like we have now doesn't help.

Having a radical right GOP, combined with a center/right democratic party isn't doing anything to better the nation. Until we return to a solid progressive government, freedom and liberty will continue to erode.

That's because most "Conservatives" are closet Progressives.

Unless someone declares them self a Libertarian, they are not to be trusted when they talk about small government.

Even then you should give them a small litmus test.

1) Would you like to restore Constitutional money (gold and silver)

2) Would you like to abolish the Federal Reserve?

3) Do you support the right to keep and bear military grade firearms?

4) Do you think we should be an imperialist empire that rules other nation through terror?

5) Do you think we should be a police state, that uses the NDAA, NSA, and IRS to rule our own citizens through terror?

If no to any of these questions, they are a phony. It would take a MINIMUM of all of the above 5 to end this progressive/fascist hybrid nightmare.

Last edited:
That's because most "Conservatives" are closet Progressives.

Unless someone declares them self a Libertarian, they are not to be trusted when they talk about small government.

Even then you should give them a small litmus test.

1) Would you like to restore Constitutional money (gold and silver)

2) Would you like to abolish the Federal Reserve?

3) Do you support the right to keep and bear military grade firearms?

They are not progressives, they are hard right wing fascists like I previously stated.

Look up who co-sponsored Ron Paul's audit the fed bill and who has been very outspoken about going after it and to restore freedom, I'm sure you will be presently surprised :up:

Well, let’s not get carried away…

Conservatives were lost when they entered into their Faustian bargain with social conservatives, Christian fundamentalists, and more recently with the radical fiscal right, namely the TPM.

Prior to that, of course, before the advent of the bane of social conservatism, conservatives were advocates of individual liberty and limited government.

Sadly that’s not the case today.

Indeed, it is conservative to seek to limit government with regard to personal decisions concerning reproduction and abortion, where conservatives once correctly believed that government had no business dictating to private citizens how to conduct their personal, private lives.

It is conservative to support the equal protection rights of same-sex couples to access marriage, allowing them equal protection of the law as intended by the Framers of the 14th Amendment. Again, equal protection doctrine designed to limit the power and authority of government, where government has no place interfering with the lives of private citizens.

It is conservative to be opposed to drug testing for public assistance applicants, to oppose religion in public schools, and to be opposed to punitive measures against undocumented immigrants, all predicated on the doctrine of limited government.

Of course partisan conservatives and republicans entered into this unholy alliance with the radical social right in an effort to realize greater political success, particularly with regard to taking control of Congress away from democrats and to take control of state governments.

But as American society becomes more sophisticated, diverse, and inclusive, the conservative policy of hate, division, and reactionaryism will further isolate the right, and relegate them to the political fringe.

I love this big concern for the republican party from the left.

The shows on MSNBC every night all up and down their lineup spends the bulk of their show
telling the audience what is wrong with the republican party and how to fix it.
ex: to make it more like the democrat party.

By the way....has anyone every seen Rachel in a pretty dress?
Or is she strictly a pant suit wearing kind of guy?

Forum List

Back