How do you cook your steaks?

i just have a hard time with yankee food

"yankee" food is more international as it is a fusion of immigrants food from around the world , thankfully with the migration of yankees to the south stores like publix and harris teeter carry a bigger variety, as you can now actually find real breads , instead of just white type tasteless bread and different cuts of meat, like lamb

you really need to get out more....where in the hell do you think southern food came from? and the great gift of yankees is publix and harry peter? lol really?

guno you got some damn deep issues with the south...why stay? we wont miss ya when you go.....

The south was culturally and inbred until a few decades ago

"yankee" food is more international as it is a fusion of immigrants food from around the world , thankfully with the migration of yankees to the south stores like publix and harris teeter carry a bigger variety, as you can now actually find real breads , instead of just white type tasteless bread and different cuts of meat, like lamb

you really need to get out more....where in the hell do you think southern food came from? and the great gift of yankees is publix and harry peter? lol really?

guno you got some damn deep issues with the south...why stay? we wont miss ya when you go.....

retarded-boy.gif

So is England. So what, who cares, we are all related.

Try the freezing KG. It is amazing how juicy it is.
I totally understand what you were saying though. I guess it is just preference..
I don't typically bring it up to room temp...in my house, raw meat on the counter is dog food. Sometimes meat in the fridge is, too...snoop helps himself.

We don't normally have dogs in the house but one of my guard dogs, Pernilla, is recovering from a fractured shoulder and I have to push the kitchen table up against the fridge every night before we go to bed because it took her all but ten minutes to figure out how to open it and help herself to whatever she liked the look of.

Silence, Jew. Your betters are talking.

I love living immediately south of the Mason-Dixon line because we get a blend of southern and northern cuisine. The south has no idea how to do Scrapple (or any Pennsylvania Dutch food) right, so we rely on Penn and Delaware for the good stuff. The north doesn't know how to make sweet tea (nothing more infuriating than a waitress who says there's sugar on the table), or grits. And then there's the universally loved bacon, the last, but most important, of the food groups.

In a nod to the OP, I like to season them up at room temperature, sear them over a very hot wood fire, then let them finish in the smoke.

depends on the type of steak
whats your favorite cut?
Beef tender...I buy the whole thing in a vacuum-sealed plastic wrapper, let it sit in the fridge 'til it starts turning dark, open on a Saturday and slice it into 1.75" steaks, reseal and freeze all but two in the food-saver vacuum packs, cook two rare, eat one and feed the other to my Doberman. Repeat every Saturday until gone.

Sometimes I smoke the whole thing.

depends on the type of steak
whats your favorite cut?
Beef tender...I buy the whole thing in a vacuum-sealed plastic wrapper, let it sit in the fridge 'til it starts turning dark, open on a Saturday and slice it into 1.75" steaks, reseal and freeze all but two in the food-saver vacuum packs, cook two rare, eat one and feed the other to my Doberman. Repeat every Saturday until gone.

Sometimes I smoke the whole thing.
sounds good

ahh spoken like a foodie wanna be....honey....filet are basically tasteless...you do know that....they are tender hell yes and forgive a lot but as far as taste....not there.....

fat is what makes the steak.....steaks are just like women....you want a little fat on them....
Filet isn't very flavorful. That's why they are often wrapped in bacon. Bacon will make anything taste good.

ahh spoken like a foodie wanna be....honey....filet are basically tasteless...you do know that....they are tender hell yes and forgive a lot but as far as taste....not there.....

fat is what makes the steak.....steaks are just like women....you want a little fat on them....
Filet isn't very flavorful. That's why they are often wrapped in bacon. Bacon will make anything taste good.
It's the rub and the marinade that makes almost any cut taste any where from better to great.

I do them in 2 ways.
With both ways, I put the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cooking. If you use a liquid marinade, wipe it off before putting it in the freezer. "room temp" is old school.
1 - Grill. I use lump charcoal as it is a lot hotter than charcoal. I move all the charcoal to one side. A couple minutes on both sides over the coal, and a few minutes on the side. I like to sear it, then heat the middle.
I have found that rubbing them with olive oil or butter during the searing process is about the best thing you can do. I used butter sat night with some creole in it. AMAZING
I usually just use salt, pepper a touch of oil and maybe some creole. That's it. I might re-salt after freezing.
2. Pan sear and broil
Same rub. I sear them on high with a touch of oil for a couple minutes on both sides. Then broil the hek out of them until desired temp is reached.
IMO, searing is the most important. That's why I freeze them.

Well done.

Plain on bread with cheese - tomatoes and lettuce.

Or, on a plate with salad and bottle of beer

Shadow 355

I know it isn't a steak, but it is beef lol
Last night I grilled some catfish and a beef roast.
I seared the shit out of it, then moved it away from the flames.
I was rubbing a butter, apple juice and my homemade BBQ sauce concoction on it every time I flipped it over. All I rubbed on it in the beginning was salt and pepper.
That thing was fuckin awesome. It was cooked medium and plenty juicy. Wife said it was a tad sweet, so next time I will either add a shot of wosterchire sauce or more BBQ sauce and less apple.

I do them in 2 ways.
With both ways, I put the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cooking. If you use a liquid marinade, wipe it off before putting it in the freezer. "room temp" is old school.
1 - Grill. I use lump charcoal as it is a lot hotter than charcoal. I move all the charcoal to one side. A couple minutes on both sides over the coal, and a few minutes on the side. I like to sear it, then heat the middle.
I have found that rubbing them with olive oil or butter during the searing process is about the best thing you can do. I used butter sat night with some creole in it. AMAZING
I usually just use salt, pepper a touch of oil and maybe some creole. That's it. I might re-salt after freezing.
2. Pan sear and broil
Same rub. I sear them on high with a touch of oil for a couple minutes on both sides. Then broil the hek out of them until desired temp is reached.

If you like butter on your steak you have to try this....
upload_2015-12-28_10-11-15.png

I do them in 2 ways.
2. Pan sear and broil

I do it one way. I pick up the phone and make reservations. I grab my keys and get in my car and drive to the steak house. Rare. I want to kill it as it tries to leave the plate rare.

I cannot cook a good steak to save my life. I can't. I may break down and buy a grill this summer. And then, I will be up here flipping out trying to get tips.

I do them in 2 ways.
2. Pan sear and broil

I do it one way. I pick up the phone and make reservations. I grab my keys and get in my car and drive to the steak house. Rare. I want to kill it as it tries to leave the plate rare.

I cannot cook a good steak to save my life. I can't. I may break down and buy a grill this summer. And then, I will be up here flipping out trying to get tips.
Lol.
Since you like it so rare, I would only cook it long enough to sear it a bit. Shouldn't be much room for mistakes lol.
Maybe it's in how you prep it?

I do them in 2 ways.
2. Pan sear and broil

Lol.
Since you like it so rare, I would only cook it long enough to sear it a bit. Shouldn't be much room for mistakes lol.
Maybe it's in how you prep it?

Pfft.. I haven't tried to cook steak in quite awhile.

I like T bone or porterhouse steak the best, and I like it seasoned with a little garlic salt and pepper and cooked on the grill. That's all it needs! :) It is very flavorful and you get the filet and the sirloin in one steak.

Forum List

Back