How does one identify charlantry?

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
(From the free dictionary online)

char·la·tan (shärl-tn)
n.
A person who makes elaborate, fraudulent, and often voluble claims to skill or knowledge; a quack or fraud.

I am beginning to have an issue with this concept.

Let say I meet a person claiming to be a spiritualists. How can I tell? Many believers argue that you can't use logic to determine the metaphysical. Also, since I do not know what is a true metaphysical statement versus a false metaphysical, how do I know wether or not to trust this person?

In short how does one tell if one is dealing with a charlatan or not?

P.S. I doubt "How I feel about the person" is of any help since I have felt relatively good vibes with alot of dishonest people. So I guess intuition and logic are out, or is there something else I should look for?

char·la·tan (shärl-tn)
n.
A person who makes elaborate, fraudulent, and often voluble claims to skill or knowledge; a quack or fraud.

Let say I meet a person claiming to be a spiritualists. How can I tell? Many believers argue that you can't use logic to determine the metaphysical. Also, since I do not know what is a true metaphysical statement versus a false metaphysical, how do I know wether or not to trust this person?

P.S. I doubt "How I feel about the person" is of any help since I have felt relatively good vibes with alot of dishonest people. So I guess intuition and logic are out, or is there something else I should look for?

I would say that if that spirituality is somehow connected with a phrase like, "and for the low, low price of..." you have a pretty good chance you're dealing with a charlatan.

What criteria do you use to gauge a person as a charlatan? By what proof do you weigh a person's claims as fraudulent?
Some view Christ's ability to heal as a fraudulent skill/claim, and yet the Pharisees never doubted his ability to heal because they watched Him do it. They just dared Him to do it during the Sabbath. What ruler do you use to measure someone else's claims?

char·la·tan (shärl-tn)
n.

That’s pretty easy.
Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics

creationmuseum.org*

The Institute for Creation Research

creation.com

And to include a host of snake oil salesmen and women here:
Encyclopedia of American Loons: #542: Cory Burnell

char·la·tan (shärl-tn)
n.

Charlatans want money. All of them charge for their services.
If they mention money? That is a charlatan.

What criteria do you use to gauge a person as a charlatan? By what proof do you weigh a person's claims as fraudulent?
Some view Christ's ability to heal as a fraudulent skill/claim, and yet the Pharisees never doubted his ability to heal because they watched Him do it. They just dared Him to do it during the Sabbath. What ruler do you use to measure someone else's claims?

Uhhhmmmm--that is the question that I am asking!

Do you have an opinion on how? Because I am stumped!

P.S.--the reason for a person to become a charlatan may not have to deal with money.

For instance, it could be egotism, insanity, or even the fact that they are actually doing something good/worthwhile!

Last edited:
Well, since this is the "religion" Forum, you could consider what the Word of God says........Jesus said we would know a "tree by it's fruits." Meaning we will know men (what they are) by their works. The Apostle Paul said (paraphrased) anyone who preaches other than Christ born, crucified and resurrected is a false teacher........that goes to your question concerning "spiritual" things.

Those who promote themselves are usually self-serving, and, in my opinion, false teachers.......

Well, since this is the "religion" Forum, you could consider what the Word of God says........Jesus said we would know a "tree by it's fruits." Meaning we will know men (what they are) by their works. The Apostle Paul said (paraphrased) anyone who preaches other than Christ born, crucified and resurrected is a false teacher........that goes to your question concerning "spiritual" things.

Those who promote themselves are usually self-serving, and, in my opinion, false teachers.......

OK--Hold onto your hat here for this is just a question and not an accusation.

How do we know that Jesus and his disciples are not charlatans?

I am asking this only because it is the essential question of the thread.

Because you deeply believe in the validity of their teachings does not mean they are who they claim to be.

To also add to the problem here, Men may perform public works that are good, but privately are committing great evils. Note, we normally only see their public works. It is by good fortune if we see the evil works they wish to keep hidden. So I don't think the works we see give us the complete picture of the man behind them.

char·la·tan (shärl-tn)
n.

If a person merely believes to havesome sort of "spiritual connection to divine providence" I would just take their claim as subjective as merely render it as a personal opinion.

Now if someone claims to retainprophecy from the divine then they must demonstrate proof and that proof must remain consistent regardless of the conditions to which they must demonstrate this "gift."

I think to determine whether someone is a fraud depends on how they come across.

I normally think logic and commonsense is the discerning factor, and anyone making claims that can be shown to be false in reality should not be trusted.

But some spiritualists argue that the spiritual defies logic, commonsense and even the laws of this physical world.

If that is true, then any speculative statement attached to "this is the word of god" can therefore be true(metaphysically saying).

That might make sense to the metaphysicists/spiritualists that posit such claims, but it also gurantees anyone can imitate a spiritualists and form a cult from bogus claims. Very problematic for us commoners!

char·la·tan (shärl-tn)
n.

That’s pretty easy.
Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics

creationmuseum.org*

The Institute for Creation Research

creation.com

And to include a host of snake oil salesmen and women here:
Encyclopedia of American Loons: #542: Cory Burnell

http://www.jhuger.com/kissing-hanks-ass

Last edited:
I normally think logic and commonsense is the discerning factor, and anyone making claims that can be shown to be false in reality should not be trusted.

But some spiritualists argue that the spiritual defies logic, commonsense and even the laws of this physical world.

If that is true, then any speculative statement attached to "this is the word of god" can therefore be true(metaphysically saying).

That might make sense to the metaphysicists/spiritualists that posit such claims, but it also gurantees anyone can imitate a spiritualists and form a cult from bogus claims. Very problematic for us commoners!

I agree. But I try not to be insensitive when people claim to have a spiritual connection because Idon't want to discount their own experience. Now when folks start claiming that God gives them special powers and they cannot prove it then I pretty much call it BS

OK--Hold onto your hat here for this is just a question and not an accusation.

How do we know that Jesus and his disciples are not charlatans?

I am asking this only because it is the essential question of the thread.

Because you deeply believe in the validity of their teachings does not mean they are who they claim to be.

To also add to the problem here, Men may perform public works that are good, but privately are committing great evils. Note, we normally only see their public works. It is by good fortune if we see the evil works they wish to keep hidden. So I don't think the works we see give us the complete picture of the man behind them.

Let me be sure I understand you.......you are saying that the whole point of the thread is to show that God, Jesus...........were charlatans and not real? Now, you certainly have the "God given right" to NOT believe in God or His Son Jesus Christ, but I would wonder how anyone ever assumes that............?

HOW DOES ONE IDENTIFY CHARLATANRY?

Answer: Watch television in such a way that your brain isn't fried.

A charlatan is exactly what the definition says - someone who intentionally sets out to defraud another. Charlatans come in many colors, socio-economic groups, etc. You can pretty well count on palm readers, seers and such to be charlatans. They can read even the slightest body language. They come out with some generalized statement of what's going on in a person's life and it's that person who is gullible enough to say, "That's right! How did you know that!" who makes the charlatan very successful - and rich. People who are looking for some kind of answers to a situation and approach these palm readers, etc. to predict what the future holds - and that palm reader knows exactly what that person wants to hear. Ka-ching.

Bernie Madow (or whatever) was a charlatan. He had a sure fire investment proposal that couldn't fail and he became a very wealthy person off other people's money while leaving a trail of financial disaster in his wake for those who trusted him and invested in his scheme.

People who call on the phone with promises of immense wealth if the person who answers will only cough up a few thousand in "handling fees" are charlatans.

Some people would say that Barack Obama is a charlatan ... others would say he's the Messiah.

It's the intended victim's gullibility that makes these people successful at what they do.

Three proverbs to consider:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

The anti-christian crowd is desperately scrambling to find ways to throw christians in prison, and clean them off the streets and out of the way.

You have the nutjobs presenting us with daily garbage threads about "Christianity as a mental disorder" and "Taking children to church is child abuse" etc.

This is just more of the same.

The anti-christian crowd is desperately scrambling to find ways to throw christians in prison, and clean them off the streets and out of the way.

You have the nutjobs presenting us with daily garbage threads about "Christianity as a mental disorder" and "Taking children to church is child abuse" etc.

.......so, you are saying this (the OP) is just a "fishing expedition?".........ok,

Prisons? No! Not at all ! We just need more mental health facilities for treatment. It a matter of this county's survival that we have a critical thinking populace so we can compete in Math and Science .

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7jETVUulGwc#[/ame]!

Last edited:
Charlatans do things like make up imaginary disorders so they can sell snakeoil and silence their critics.

char·la·tan (shärl-tn)
n.

If a person merely believes to havesome sort of "spiritual connection to divine providence" I would just take their claim as subjective as merely render it as a personal opinion.

Now if someone claims to retainprophecy from the divine then they must demonstrate proof and that proof must remain consistent regardless of the conditions to which they must demonstrate this "gift."

I think to determine whether someone is a fraud depends on how they come across.

To retain prophecy from the Devine warrants this type of consistent guidline from God: 100% correct or stone them to death.

“If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him” (Deut. 18:22).

“But the prophet who prophesies peace will be recognized as one truly sent by the Lord only if his prediction comes true” (Jer. 28:9).

“When all this comes true - and it surely will - then they will know that a prophet has been among them.” (Ezek. 33:33)

John 4:1 "beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

Peter wrote specifically to warn about false teachers: (2 Peter 1:15-16) "Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance. For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty...."

Forum List

Back