How good are you at dealing with minorities who can't speak real English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
2nq8m1i.gif

I've lived abroad in countries where people don't speak English and where I didn't speak their language well, and I've learned languages and learned how hard it can be. I've also traveled to more than 1/4 of the countries in the world.

I've lived abroad in countries where people don't speak English and where I didn't speak their language well, and I've learned languages and learned how hard it can be. I've also traveled to more than 1/4 of the countries in the world.
I'd thank you for staying on topic, but you didn't.

Most minorities in America have been here longer than I've been alive. Why is it after 20 years I can speak better English than they can after 40 years?

Most minorities in America have been here longer than I've been alive. Why is it after 20 years I can speak better English than they can after 40 years?

The topic, shall I remind you, is about minorities WHO CAN'T SPEAK REAL ENGLISH. Rather than minorities who can speak English.

The topic, shall I remind you, is about minorities WHO CAN'T SPEAK REAL ENGLISH. Rather than minorities who can speak English.
Yeah, it's not about traveling abroad. I don't go places where I can't speak the language.

Meh - just fine. The only time it bothers me is when one gets frustrated and angry at me because I am struggling to understand what they are saying. That is far more rare than those that have the patience because they are well aware that they do not speak clearly.

Yeah, it's not about traveling abroad. I don't go places where I can't speak the language.
Yeah but it's not like a person misses Detroit eh?

Are you fucking kidding me?

You asked the question "How good are you at dealing with minorities who can't speak real English?"

I answered by saying things that would, if one has a brain to use, point to the fact that I am actually quite good at dealing with people who can't speak real English.

But hey, I guess that just passed you right by.

Well my wife is Filipino and English is 2nd language to her even though their language is a mixture of English, Spanish and Filipino. Her pronunciation causes issues at times but I just have to figure out what she's saying. Her vocabulary is fairly large but there are words she just doesn't know. So I'd say I'm pretty good at dealing with these issues.

This seems to be your actual issue and not the topic you posted. Languages are learned by listening and repeating much more than memorizing. That's why you're better at it than they are. You've been listening and repeating it your whole life where they have not been. Many immigrants have a basic grasp of English but maybe not well enough to feel comfortable talking it all the time. In their homes they may speak their native language and only speak English at work and many limit that amount because they don't get all the nuances.

Anyway, don't be upset because they don't speak English as well as you. That doesn't make you better than them.

There is the dialect of a town it happen in the same country ! could be hard to understand

Well my wife is Filipino and English is 2nd language to her even though their language is a mixture of English, Spanish and Filipino. Her pronunciation causes issues at times but I just have to figure out what she's saying. Her vocabulary is fairly large but there are words she just doesn't know. So I'd say I'm pretty good at dealing with these issues.

This seems to be your actual issue and not the topic you posted. Languages are learned by listening and repeating much more than memorizing. That's why you're better at it than they are. You've been listening and repeating it your whole life where they have not been. Many immigrants have a basic grasp of English but maybe not well enough to feel comfortable talking it all the time. In their homes they may speak their native language and only speak English at work and many limit that amount because they don't get all the nuances.

Anyway, don't be upset because they don't speak English as well as you. That doesn't make you better than them.
I had a wife from the islands as well. Open the lights threw me for a while!

I've been able to converse a time or two with someone who doesn't know English nor I their language. We eventually got things sorted out and had a few language/cultural barrier laughs in doing so.

I live in an area of town that has a very high population of Hispanics. Some cannot speak English very well if at all. I'm not really good at dealing with them. I'm not cruel or anything, I just don't try. I speak to them in English, repeat myself if necessary, and then give up after a while.

I had a wife from the islands as well. Open the lights threw me for a while!
LOL.

A friend of mine is married to a Filipino and said this exact same thing.

Mod Note:

When starting a new Thread, please first check and confirm that there are not Current Threads, on the Same Topic, This will Avoid Merges. Please select the forum that best relates to the subject matter of your topic. Opening Posts require more than a Copy and Paste with a Link, You need to include relevant, on topic material of your own. When posting a new topic do not use the CAPS lock.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back