How Is Asking 'Are You An American Citizen' On The Census 'Voter Suppression'?

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
The whole idea of the Census is to gauge who is living in the US, to get specific details on the people residing in the US...so how the hell is asking 'Are you an American citizen' 'Voter SUPPRESSION'?

DNC Chairman Perez Says Putting Citizenship Question on 2020 Census Is for 'Voter Suppression'

"This is just another divide-and-conquer effort,” Perez emphasized.

Ummm...the 'divider' / 'dividing factor' is not the QUESTION but rather the legal status of people living in the United States.

"This is not who we are as a nation,” Perez added. “This is not why people died for the passage of the Voting Rights Act."

I am pretty sure no one died for the passage of the Voting Rights Act to allow Liberals to ignore / violate US Immigration Law, openly defy the US Constitution / Law / US government by aiding and abetting millions of criminals illegally in the US by giving them illegal sanctuary at tax payer expense, and/or to allow criminals in this country to VOTE illegally.

...but again, ho is asking a question on the Census - 'Are you a Legal US Citizen' in any way 'VOTER Suppression'?

If you are an ILLEGAL - not a US citizen, then you don't get a vote anyway...so how can your 'vote' be 'suppressed'?

It isn't, just the far left Democrats need the illegals to be counted so they can hold on to their power.

As one person who was claiming it was wrong to ask quoted the 14th amendment and learned they were wrong the 14th amendment clearly states that NO ONE that has no voting rights counts for representation in a state, we NEED to ask this question.

The whole idea of the Census is to gauge who is living in the US, to get specific details on the people residing in the US...so how the hell is asking 'Are you an American citizen' 'Voter SUPPRESSION'?

DNC Chairman Perez Says Putting Citizenship Question on 2020 Census Is for 'Voter Suppression'

"This is just another divide-and-conquer effort,” Perez emphasized.

Ummm...the 'divider' / 'dividing factor' is not the QUESTION but rather the legal status of people living in the United States.

"This is not who we are as a nation,” Perez added. “This is not why people died for the passage of the Voting Rights Act."

I am pretty sure no one died for the passage of the Voting Rights Act to allow Liberals to ignore / violate US Immigration Law, openly defy the US Constitution / Law / US government by aiding and abetting millions of criminals illegally in the US by giving them illegal sanctuary at tax payer expense, and/or to allow criminals in this country to VOTE illegally.

...but again, ho is asking a question on the Census - 'Are you a Legal US Citizen' in any way 'VOTER Suppression'?

If you are an ILLEGAL - not a US citizen, then you don't get a vote anyway...so how can your 'vote' be 'suppressed'?
I believe it just says What is your citizenship? or something like that. I have hunted through dozens of articles and NONE of them state the actual question. I think I saw it on the news last night, though, and it was something simple like what country are you a citizen of.
There are many people here legally who are not citizens, so it isn't as if they're asking if they are here illegally. The other thing you COULD sensibly ask is "Are you eligible to vote?" That is more in line with what the Census wants to know and a "No" could be for a number of reasons unrelated to being here illegally.

Fair question.
I can see why they think it's "fair," but a lot of people won't answer the census. Period. Sure they believe the Census Bureau won't send their names and addresses to ICE. The Dreamers got promised they would be protected, too, and they came forward and now look where they are.
Sure.
Well, if the Republicans want to strike back at California for their sanctuary cities, this is a GREAT way. If so many California residents are illegal and don't get counted in the census, it's going to hurt their federal funding to no end. And it will be totally legal.
Tricky.

One simple device I use to get to the essential validity of an issue is to reverse the poles and ask how I would respond were illegals in the republican fold and not democrat. Of course, this is not a question the partisan hacks of the leftist hive mind are capable of asking because they are not motivated by principle, but merely tribal political identity.

We SOULD all agree that only citizens should be able to vote or be counted in the census statistics that determine the every important distribution of house seats. That people don't is only an indication that they are dishonest political hacks who are only interested in warring against the other tribe instead of supporting clear and consistent principles.

One simple device I use to get to the essential validity of an issue is to reverse the poles and ask how I would respond were illegals in the republican fold and not democrat. Of course, this is not a question the partisan hacks of the leftist hive mind are capable of asking because they are not motivated by principle, but merely tribal political identity.

We SOULD all agree that only citizens should be able to vote or be counted in the census statistics that determine the every important distribution of house seats. That people don't is only an indication that they are dishonest political hacks who are only interested in warring against the other tribe instead of supporting clear and consistent principles.
Whether or not it's a good plan, the number of people in a state, as enumerated by the census, is also used to set federal allocation of $$$$ for transportation, law enforcement, all kinds of stuff. Now, if you want to know how many people actually use the subway or attend in a school district, you need the full head count.

The question has been on the census for FIFTY YEARS except for 2010.

Also there are plenty of non citizens, perhaps more than illegals, who are here LEGALLY that are not citizens who will answer truthfully. The point is to get the appropriate representation for the citizens.

I can see why they think it's "fair," but a lot of people won't answer the census. Period. Sure they believe the Census Bureau won't send their names and addresses to ICE. The Dreamers got promised they would be protected, too, and they came forward and now look where they are.
Sure.
Well, if the Republicans want to strike back at California for their sanctuary cities, this is a GREAT way. If so many California residents are illegal and don't get counted in the census, it's going to hurt their federal funding to no end. And it will be totally legal.
Tricky.

Let me get this straight. It's not a fair question because some people are stupid. That it?

Forum List

Back