How is money created?

Most americans have absolutely no idea.
I wonder what you guys know?
Here's the truth:
- Loans create new money, this shows up in the form of deposits.
- The federal government creates new money through deficit spending. The central bank also plays an important role.

I expect many posters to take an issue with my assertion that Loans create deposits.
Banks do not lend out deposits or multiply up central bank money.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publ...lletin/2014/qb14q1prereleasemoneycreation.pdf
This article explains how the majority of money in the modern economy is created by commercial banks making loans. • Money creation in practice differs from some popular misconceptions — banks do not act simply as intermediaries, lending out deposits that savers place with them, and nor do they ‘multiply up’ central bank money to create new loans and deposits. • The amount of money created in the economy ultimately depends on the monetary policy of the central bank. In normal times, this is carried out by setting interest rates. The central bank can also affect the amount of money directly through purchasing assets or ‘quantitative easing’.

I expect many posters to take an issue with my assertion that Loans create deposits.

Yes, loans create deposits.

But of course they do.
The Money Multiplier...and Other Myths about Banking - Positive Money
The money multiplier model of banking has several implications:

1. Firstly, this model implies that banks have to wait until someone puts money into a bank before they can start making loans. This implies that banks just react passively to what customers do, and that they wait for people with savings to come along before they start lending.
  2. Secondly, it implies that the central bank has ultimate control over the total amount of money in the economy. They can control the amount of money by changing either the reserve ratio or the amount of ‘base money’ – cash – at the bottom of the pyramid.
    For example, if the Bank of England sets a legal reserve ratio and this reserve ratio is 10%, then the total money supply can grow to 10 times the amount of cash in the economy. If the Bank of England then increases the reserve ratio to 20%, then the money supply can only grow to 5 times the amount of cash in the economy. If the reserve ratio was dropped to 5%, then the money supply would grow to 20 times the amount of cash in the economy.
    Alternatively, the Bank of England could change how much cash there was in the economy in the first place. If it printed another £1000 and put that into the economy, and the reserve ratio is still 10%, then the theory says that the money supply will increase by a total of £10,000, after the banks have gone through the process of repeatedly re-lending that money. This process is described as altering the amount of ‘base money’ in the economy.
  3. Thirdly, it implies the money supply can never get out of control, unless the central bank wants it to.
Unfortunately, the money multiplier model of banking is completely wrong. Professor Charles Goodhart of the London School of Economics and an advisor to the Bank of England for over 30 years described this model (in 1984) as “such an incomplete way of describing the process of the determination of the stock of money that it amounts to mis-instruction.” Why is this?

Firstly, the underlying concept of the money multiplier is that in order to make loans banks first require people to deposit money. However, this is simply not true. In actual fact when banks lend they create deposits:

This paper contends that the emphasis on policy-induced changes in deposits is misplaced. If anything, the process actually works in reverse, with loans driving deposits. In particular, it is argued that the concept of the money multiplier is flawed and uninformative in terms of analyzing the dynamics of bank lending. Under a fiat money standard and liberalized financial system, there is no exogenous constraint on the supply of credit except through regulatory capital requirements. An adequately capitalized banking system can always fulfill the demand for loans if it wishes to.

Piti Distayat and Claudio Bori, Bank for International Settlements (2009)

Nor do banks need reserves in order to make loans. As Alan Holmes, who was senior Vice President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York at the time remarked:

In the real world, banks extend credit, creating deposits in the process , and look for the reserves later.

Alan Holmes, then Senior Vice President, Federal Reserve Bank of New York (1969)

The vice president of the ECB had something similar to say:

It is argued by some that financial institutions would be free to instantly transform their loans from the central bank into credit to the non-financial sector. This fits into the old theoretical view about the credit multiplier according to which the sequence of money creation goes from the primary liquidity created by central banks to total money supply created by banks via their credit decisions. In reality the sequence works more in the opposite direction with banks taking first their credit decisions and then looking for the necessary funding and reserves of central bank money.

Vitor Constancio, vice president of the ECB (2011)

Of course, this is just two men’s opinion, albeit men who should know what they are talking about. Thankfully empirical work has been carried out on this subject by Nobel prize winners Finn Kydland and Ed Prescott of the Federal Reserve bank of Minneapolis, who find that:

There is no evidence that either the monetary base or M1 leads the [credit] cycle, although some economists still believe this monetary myth. Both the monetary base and M1 series are generally procyclical and, if anything, the monetary base lags the [credit] cycle slightly.

Nobel prize winners Finn Kydland and Ed Prescott , Federal Reserve bank of Minneapolis (1990)

What they are saying here confirms Alan Holmes quote above. Central bankers not only reject the money multiplier story due to their understanding of how banks operate, but also because of the empirical evidence.

There are also other reasons why the money multiplier is not a good model of how banks actually operate. For example, there’s no reserve ratio in the UK anymore, and there hasn’t been for a long time. While reserve ratios might be useful for other reasons, it is almost impossible for the central bank to use reserve ratios (or limit reserves held by banks in other ways) to restrict credit creation by banks. There are several reasons for this, not least because “banks extend credit, creating deposits in the process, and look for the reserves later”.

Of course, the central bank could choose not to provide a bank with extra reserves when requested. However, if the bank in question had extended credit and requested reserves in order to make a payment on behalf of a borrower, by not providing the reserves the central bank could create a problem for the bank in question.

For example, in a banking system with a reserve ratio the denial of reserves to a bank (which causes their reserves to fall below the regulated amount) will result in one of three outcomes:

1. The bank may attempt to borrow the reserves from another bank. However this is likely to place upward pressure on the interest rate at which banks lend reserves to each other on the interbank market. If the central bank wishes to maintain this rate then in all likelihood it will have to provide further reserves to the banking system – undermining its efforts to restrain lending through restricting reserves.
  2. The central bank may allow the bank to break the rules, and operate with a reserve ratio of less than the required amount.
  3. The central bank may deny the bank the ability to make payments until its reserve ratio increases up to the required amount. If the bank is also unable to borrow the reserves either from the central bank or other banks this could create a liquidity crisis, as the bank in question will not be able to make the payment. This could then potentially lead to a solvency crisis and/or a financial crisis.
Therefore if the Central bank wants to restrict private bank money creation supply by using reserve ratios or by restricting the amount of reserves availability to private banks, it must be willing to either allow large fluctuations in the interest rate or alternatively intermittent liquidity crises. Due to the potential for liquidity crises to turn into solvency crises, and because a solvency issue at one bank can cause a cascade of bankruptcies throughout the entire banking system, the central bank are unlikely to pursue the second option. Indeed, it goes against one of the central bank’s core functions – its mandate to protect financial stability.

NEXT: Part 8 - How banks become insolvent

Firstly, the underlying concept of the money multiplier is that in order to make loans banks first require people to deposit money. However, this is simply not true. In actual fact when banks lend they create deposits:

The banks don't need the deposits before they loan, but they need the deposits in order to clear the loan check.
The fact that your loan "creates a deposit" means fuck all when the check bounces.
When billy goes to the bank for a loan, the bank creates a deposit for $10000 and billy gets a note to repay with interest. The bank doesn't take from jen's deposit to loan to billy.

Here's the truth:
- The federal government creates new money through deficit spending. The central bank also plays an important role.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publ...lletin/2014/qb14q1prereleasemoneycreation.pdf
This article explains how the majority of money in the modern economy is created by commercial banks making loans. • Money creation in practice differs from some popular misconceptions — banks do not act simply as intermediaries, lending out deposits that savers place with them, and nor do they ‘multiply up’ central bank money to create new loans and deposits. • The amount of money created in the economy ultimately depends on the monetary policy of the central bank. In normal times, this is carried out by setting interest rates. The central bank can also affect the amount of money directly through purchasing assets or ‘quantitative easing’.

Labor can also be used to back capital as the base medium for exchange in a local economy:
Introducing HOUR Money

I am looking to expand this idea of independent labor-backed currency
and proposing to set up jobs and programs that are funded against
DEBTS OWED TO TAXPAYERS for corporate abuses of govt and/or waste of resources
that could be paid back as restitution for the corruption.

Since taxpayers are being held for the money spent by govt,
what if the money goes into corrupt private interests. Or into a program not
approved through proper channels as constitutional and meriting public funding.

What if wrongdoers run off with public tax money in a policy, contract or program gone wrong?

My idea is to assess the total cost owed to the public per incident,
to treat this loss as a "loan" from govt to the wrongdoing entity.
And negotiate a settlement plan including collateral to get it paid back.

Until the wrongdoers pay back the amount owed to taxpayers,
a federal reserve system can be used to issue the credits to taxpayers to
invest in programs that will correct the problem and provide sustainable
work in the longrun. And if the taxpayers lend the money to cover the debt
unit it is repaid by the wrongdoers, why not give taxpayers interest like the
federal reserve pays private investors for money lent in. Or why not allow
citizens the option to buy out land and programs as collateral on the debts.
This could serve as compensation for the abuse of govt at taxpayer expense.

Here's the truth:

But of course they do.
No, they don't. What makes you think banks lend out deposits and multiply up central bank money?
Here's an authority on the question:
One common misconception is that banks act simply as intermediaries, lending out the deposits that savers place with them. In this view deposits are typically ‘created’ by the saving decisions of households, and banks then ‘lend out’ those existing deposits to borrowers, for example to companies looking to finance investment or individuals wanting to purchase houses. In fact, when households choose to save more money in bank accounts, those deposits come simply at the expense of deposits that would have otherwise gone to companies in payment for goods and services. Saving does not by itself increase the deposits or ‘funds available’ for banks to lend. Indeed, viewing banks simply as intermediaries ignores the fact that, in reality in the modern economy, commercial banks are the creators of deposit money. This article explains how, rather than banks lending out deposits that are placed with them, the act of lending creates deposits — the reverse of the sequence typically described in textbooks.(3)

No, they don't.

Yes, they do.

What makes you think banks lend out deposits

Let's walk through it.

Dovahkiin goes to the bank to borrow $10,000 to buy a car. They have no deposits, because they create a deposit with your loan. You write a check against that deposit account and give it to the car dealer. You drive off with your new car. The dealer deposits the check and it bounces. The dealer sues you and takes back the car. You sue the bank.

Toddsterpatriot goes to the bank to borrow $10,000 to buy a car. They have $100,000 in deposits, because they like their checks to actually clear. My loan creates a deposit and I write a check against that deposit account and give it to the car dealer. I drive off with my new car. The dealer deposits the check and it clears.

Which bank is more likely to be in business next week?
That has nothing to do with banks LENDING OUT DEPOSITS. Banks do not lend out deposits, your example doesn't show that at all.

Banks do not lend out deposits

How long does the lending bank remain in business with $0 deposits?
Todd, does a bank take from its deposits to loan?

But of course they do.
No, they don't. What makes you think banks lend out deposits and multiply up central bank money?
One common misconception is that banks act simply as intermediaries, lending out the deposits that savers place with them. In this view deposits are typically ‘created’ by the saving decisions of households, and banks then ‘lend out’ those existing deposits to borrowers, for example to companies looking to finance investment or individuals wanting to purchase houses. In fact, when households choose to save more money in bank accounts, those deposits come simply at the expense of deposits that would have otherwise gone to companies in payment for goods and services. Saving does not by itself increase the deposits or ‘funds available’ for banks to lend. Indeed, viewing banks simply as intermediaries ignores the fact that, in reality in the modern economy, commercial banks are the creators of deposit money. This article explains how, rather than banks lending out deposits that are placed with them, the act of lending creates deposits — the reverse of the sequence typically described in textbooks.(3)

No, they don't.

Yes, they do.

Let's walk through it.

Dovahkiin goes to the bank to borrow $10,000 to buy a car. They have no deposits, because they create a deposit with your loan. You write a check against that deposit account and give it to the car dealer. You drive off with your new car. The dealer deposits the check and it bounces. The dealer sues you and takes back the car. You sue the bank.

Toddsterpatriot goes to the bank to borrow $10,000 to buy a car. They have $100,000 in deposits, because they like their checks to actually clear. My loan creates a deposit and I write a check against that deposit account and give it to the car dealer. I drive off with my new car. The dealer deposits the check and it clears.

That has nothing to do with banks LENDING OUT DEPOSITS. Banks do not lend out deposits, your example doesn't show that at all.

It doesn't, because a bank that isn't lending doesn't have anyone going to it for loans.
This should be common sense.

It doesn't

I agree, it doesn't remain in business.

a bank that isn't lending doesn't have anyone going to it for loans.

Your bank did lend to you. $10,000 for your car purchase. Did you forget already?

Here's the truth:

But of course they do.
The Money Multiplier...and Other Myths about Banking - Positive Money
The money multiplier model of banking has several implications:

1. Firstly, this model implies that banks have to wait until someone puts money into a bank before they can start making loans. This implies that banks just react passively to what customers do, and that they wait for people with savings to come along before they start lending.
  2. Secondly, it implies that the central bank has ultimate control over the total amount of money in the economy. They can control the amount of money by changing either the reserve ratio or the amount of ‘base money’ – cash – at the bottom of the pyramid.
    For example, if the Bank of England sets a legal reserve ratio and this reserve ratio is 10%, then the total money supply can grow to 10 times the amount of cash in the economy. If the Bank of England then increases the reserve ratio to 20%, then the money supply can only grow to 5 times the amount of cash in the economy. If the reserve ratio was dropped to 5%, then the money supply would grow to 20 times the amount of cash in the economy.
    Alternatively, the Bank of England could change how much cash there was in the economy in the first place. If it printed another £1000 and put that into the economy, and the reserve ratio is still 10%, then the theory says that the money supply will increase by a total of £10,000, after the banks have gone through the process of repeatedly re-lending that money. This process is described as altering the amount of ‘base money’ in the economy.
  3. Thirdly, it implies the money supply can never get out of control, unless the central bank wants it to.
Unfortunately, the money multiplier model of banking is completely wrong. Professor Charles Goodhart of the London School of Economics and an advisor to the Bank of England for over 30 years described this model (in 1984) as “such an incomplete way of describing the process of the determination of the stock of money that it amounts to mis-instruction.” Why is this?

This paper contends that the emphasis on policy-induced changes in deposits is misplaced. If anything, the process actually works in reverse, with loans driving deposits. In particular, it is argued that the concept of the money multiplier is flawed and uninformative in terms of analyzing the dynamics of bank lending. Under a fiat money standard and liberalized financial system, there is no exogenous constraint on the supply of credit except through regulatory capital requirements. An adequately capitalized banking system can always fulfill the demand for loans if it wishes to.

Piti Distayat and Claudio Bori, Bank for International Settlements (2009)

Nor do banks need reserves in order to make loans. As Alan Holmes, who was senior Vice President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York at the time remarked:

In the real world, banks extend credit, creating deposits in the process , and look for the reserves later.

Alan Holmes, then Senior Vice President, Federal Reserve Bank of New York (1969)

The vice president of the ECB had something similar to say:

It is argued by some that financial institutions would be free to instantly transform their loans from the central bank into credit to the non-financial sector. This fits into the old theoretical view about the credit multiplier according to which the sequence of money creation goes from the primary liquidity created by central banks to total money supply created by banks via their credit decisions. In reality the sequence works more in the opposite direction with banks taking first their credit decisions and then looking for the necessary funding and reserves of central bank money.

Vitor Constancio, vice president of the ECB (2011)

Of course, this is just two men’s opinion, albeit men who should know what they are talking about. Thankfully empirical work has been carried out on this subject by Nobel prize winners Finn Kydland and Ed Prescott of the Federal Reserve bank of Minneapolis, who find that:

There is no evidence that either the monetary base or M1 leads the [credit] cycle, although some economists still believe this monetary myth. Both the monetary base and M1 series are generally procyclical and, if anything, the monetary base lags the [credit] cycle slightly.

Nobel prize winners Finn Kydland and Ed Prescott , Federal Reserve bank of Minneapolis (1990)

What they are saying here confirms Alan Holmes quote above. Central bankers not only reject the money multiplier story due to their understanding of how banks operate, but also because of the empirical evidence.

There are also other reasons why the money multiplier is not a good model of how banks actually operate. For example, there’s no reserve ratio in the UK anymore, and there hasn’t been for a long time. While reserve ratios might be useful for other reasons, it is almost impossible for the central bank to use reserve ratios (or limit reserves held by banks in other ways) to restrict credit creation by banks. There are several reasons for this, not least because “banks extend credit, creating deposits in the process, and look for the reserves later”.

Of course, the central bank could choose not to provide a bank with extra reserves when requested. However, if the bank in question had extended credit and requested reserves in order to make a payment on behalf of a borrower, by not providing the reserves the central bank could create a problem for the bank in question.

For example, in a banking system with a reserve ratio the denial of reserves to a bank (which causes their reserves to fall below the regulated amount) will result in one of three outcomes:

1. The bank may attempt to borrow the reserves from another bank. However this is likely to place upward pressure on the interest rate at which banks lend reserves to each other on the interbank market. If the central bank wishes to maintain this rate then in all likelihood it will have to provide further reserves to the banking system – undermining its efforts to restrain lending through restricting reserves.
  2. The central bank may allow the bank to break the rules, and operate with a reserve ratio of less than the required amount.
  3. The central bank may deny the bank the ability to make payments until its reserve ratio increases up to the required amount. If the bank is also unable to borrow the reserves either from the central bank or other banks this could create a liquidity crisis, as the bank in question will not be able to make the payment. This could then potentially lead to a solvency crisis and/or a financial crisis.
Therefore if the Central bank wants to restrict private bank money creation supply by using reserve ratios or by restricting the amount of reserves availability to private banks, it must be willing to either allow large fluctuations in the interest rate or alternatively intermittent liquidity crises. Due to the potential for liquidity crises to turn into solvency crises, and because a solvency issue at one bank can cause a cascade of bankruptcies throughout the entire banking system, the central bank are unlikely to pursue the second option. Indeed, it goes against one of the central bank’s core functions – its mandate to protect financial stability.

NEXT: Part 8 - How banks become insolvent

The banks don't need the deposits before they loan, but they need the deposits in order to clear the loan check.
The fact that your loan "creates a deposit" means fuck all when the check bounces.
When billy goes to the bank for a loan, the bank creates a deposit for $10000 and billy gets a note to repay with interest. The bank doesn't take from jen's deposit to loan to billy.

When billy goes to the bank for a loan, the bank creates a deposit for $10000 and billy gets a note to repay with interest.

Yup. Now Billy writes a check to the car dealership. How does the dealership get their money?

The bank doesn't take from jen's deposit to loan to billy.

Was Jen's deposit cash or check? Is it sitting as vault cash or on deposit with the Fed?

But of course they do.

No, they don't.

Yes, they do.

Let's walk through it.

Where else would the money come from to clear the check?

Here's the truth:

That's how things work now, but that doesn't mean that's how they have to work. Before the Federal Reserve was created gold was money. The quantity of money remained fixed except for when new gold deposits were discovered. Under the gold standard the value of the dollar in 1914 was greater than when the Constitution was ratified in 1789. Since that time the value of the dollar has decreased by a factor of 20. A modern dollar is worth only 5% of what an 1914 dollar was worth.

You can be the judge of which system is better.

Here's the truth:

That's how things work now, but that doesn't mean that's how they have to work. Before the Federal Reserve was created gold was money. The quantity of money remained fixed except for when new gold deposits were discovered. Under the gold standard the value of the dollar in 1914 was greater than when the Constitution was ratified in 1789. Since that time the value of the dollar has decreased by a factor of 20. A modern dollar is worth only 5% of what an 1914 dollar was worth.

The quantity of money remained fixed except for when new gold deposits were discovered.

Bank loans under the gold standard also increased the money supply.

Here's the truth:

The quantity of money remained fixed except for when new gold deposits were discovered.

Only to a certain point. The the banks had to stop making new loans or they might have a run on the bank. So paper currency could be some fixed multiple of gold deposits. It couldn't increase indefinitely. However, under today's system, the Federal Reserve can increase the money supply ad infinitum.

Here's the truth:

Government doesn't create money through deficit spending. Rather, the FED buys bonds of the government creating new money as payment. They also buy toxic mortgages... Both of the items are about as valuable. Then the banking sector can loan out that completely sound money and the process multiplies.

Here's the truth:

Government doesn't create money through deficit spending. Rather, the FED buys bonds of the government creating new money as payment. They also buy toxic mortgages... Both of the items are about as valuable. Then the banking sector can loan out that completely sound money and the process multiplies.

the FED buys bonds of the government creating new money as payment. They also buy toxic mortgages...

The Fed doesn't buy toxic mortgages. Only guaranteed ones.

Both of the items are about as valuable.

Yes, guaranteed bonds are valuable. An important part of every portfolio.

Here's the truth:

Only to a certain point. The the banks had to stop making new loans or they might have a run on the bank. So paper currency could be some fixed multiple of gold deposits. It couldn't increase indefinitely. However, under today's system, the Federal Reserve can increase the money supply ad infinitum.

Only to a certain point.

Glad you agree, the quantity of money did not remain fixed.

When a loan is paid back, the principal is destroyed. This is the part the End-The-Fed rubes are either unaware of, or deliberately omit.

Now you know the WHOLE truth.

Here's the truth:

the FED buys bonds of the government creating new money as payment. They also buy toxic mortgages...

I would seriously like to see FED try exit out of their trash of a position. They could never pull it of, because they got trash.

Yeah, those mortgages were so highly valued, that is exactly why the FED bought them. Even though it was basically called bail out. Holy hell these people are dumb.

Here's the truth:

I would seriously like to see FED exit out of their trash of a position. They could never pull it of, because they got trash.

They don't have trash. Guaranteed bonds, trading over par. See here......

Mortgage-Backed Securities, CMOs - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

Here's the truth:

I would seriously like to see FED exit out of their trash of a position. They could never pull it of, because they got trash.

They don't have trash. Guaranteed bonds, trading over par. See here......

Mortgage-Backed Securities, CMOs - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

I hope that helps you sleep at night.

It's trash. The value is only there because fed has influenced the market so much. It's like me paying billions for apartments and "see of course they are valuable, I just paid a billion!"

The mortgages were always trash to begin with, which is exactly why they were bought - to bail out banks. Not to make sound portfolio. That has never been the purpose of FED. It's a clusterfuck of an organization.

Forum List

Back