How Is the Shooting of Rayshard Brooks Not Legal ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
The shooting of Rayshard Brooks appears to have been perfectly legal under the federal "Fleeing Felon Rule", which permits the use of force, including deadly force, against an individual who is suspected of a felony and is in clear flight. This obviously was the case in the shooting of Rayshard Brooks, who had just committed felonies by fighting with cops, and then shooting one of them with a taser gun.

The Fleeing Felon Rule was established in the 1985 US Supreme Court case of Tennessee vs Garner. Here is an actual quote from Justice Byron White, in that case >> "A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force."

Obviously, Brooks, running away, was in full flight, and could have escaped had he not been shot.

In a subsequent SCOTUS ruling in 1989, Graham vs Connor, protection of police was further strengthed.

It was ruled that an officer’s fear in the heat of the moment, not just the actual threat, was relevant. Officers, they said, “are often forced to make split-second judgments.” And the justices concluded that the reasonableness of an officer’s use of force should be judged “from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, rather than with the 20/20 vision of hindsight.”

That could mean an officer who shoots a fleeing suspect, could be off the hook legally, if he or she truly believed the suspect had a gun, say, in a pocket or waistband, but turned out to be wrong.

The shooting of Rayshard Brooks appears to have been perfectly legal under the federal
"Fleeing Felon Rule" which permits the use of force, including deadly force, against an individual who is suspected of a felony and is in clear flight. This obviously was the case in the shooting of Rayshard Brooks, who had just committed felonies by fighting with cops, and then shooting one of them with a taser gun.

The Fleeing Felon Rule was established in the 1985 US Supreme Court case of Tennessee vs Garner. Here is an actual quote from Justice Byron White, in that case >> "A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force."

Obviously, Brooks, running away, was in full flight, and could have escaped had he not been shot.

A subsequent SCOTUS ruling in 1989, Graham vs Connor, protection of police was further strengthed.

It was ruled that an officer’s fear in the heat of the moment, not just the actual threat, was relevant. Officers, they said, “are often forced to make split-second judgments.” And the justices concluded that the reasonableness of an officer’s use of force should be judged “from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, rather than with the 20/20 vision of hindsight.”

That could mean an officer who shoots a fleeing suspect, could be off the hook legally, if he or she truly believed the suspect had a gun, say, in a pocket or waistband, but turned out to be wrong.

Fuck the full flight... I don't care. I don't think the cops did either. They didn't shoot him until he pointed a weapon at them. Whalla.

Good shoot.

He can't be guilty of anything. He's of the protected class. I hope the N's burn it to the ground.

As was the case with Michael Slager in North Charlottesville, SC, the cops here are being railroaded, just to pacify and appease the mindless, racist, anti-police, loudmouth MOB.

The shooting of Rayshard Brooks appears to have been perfectly legal under the federal "Fleeing Felon Rule", which permits the use of force, including deadly force, against an individual who is suspected of a felony and is in clear flight. This obviously was the case in the shooting of Rayshard Brooks, who had just committed felonies by fighting with cops, and then shooting one of them with a taser gun.

In a subsequent SCOTUS ruling in 1989, Graham vs Connor, protection of police was further strengthed.

Have been asking on this board about the "fleeing felon" law. Probably out of the question after both cops talked to the dead guy for 40 minutes without incident and knew he only had the taser taken from them. Looks like he will get his day in court, same as if you or I shot him.

Have been asking on this board about the "fleeing felon" law. Probably out of the question after both cops talked to the dead guy for 40 minutes without incident and knew he only had the taser taken from them. Looks like he will get his day in court, same as if you or I shot him.
They did not know he only had a taser... Or at least, if procedure was followed they didn't.

Is this lawful under Georgia law? ... I don't know, but there's nothing in the Federal ruling that usurps State laws ...

Raymond Brooks was detained on suspicion of DUI ... 1st offense looks like a misdemeanor in Georgia (correct me if I'm wrong) ... was it a slow night or did the department over staff that shift ... such that police weren't needed to catch drunks actually driving ... with all the extra time on their hands and pure boredom setting in, maybe the police thought they could burn away a few hours in paperwork because there's absolutely nothing better to do ... crime in Atlanta is unheard of ...

Brooks was willing to just simply walk home, sleep off his drunk and come back and get his car when he's sober ... at that point in the encounter, the police could have just walked away and hit up the closest doughnut shop ... the man would still be alive, no further crimes would have been committed and the police officers would still be on duty protecting the community from evil ...

So many lives destroyed ... can't we feel sad about that too? ...

Might have been able to get away with that justification if they hadn't caught the cop kicking him why he lay there dying.

Question is, will the Grand Jury indict him?

They did not know he only had a taser... Or at least, if procedure was followed they didn't.

Brooks had already been frisked ... and was away from his car ... so the police did know the taser was all he had ... although "just a taser" is bad enough ...
How do we know that? I saw no evidence of that... Please point me in the right direction.

The DA that spoke yesterday and threw the book at the cop is in a heated close re election bid...so this poor cop is going down because some so called Atlanta black DA can get re elected?.....the corruption from the left never ends....

After talking with him that long, they should have.

NO... No... You don't get frisked until you are under arrest for something. This isn't New York. If it was New York, I would still question it, but they at least have Stop and Frisk as something that's on the law books.

They would have frisked him after getting the handcuffs on him, not before. Pretty sure it's illegal everywhere but New York to do so without consent, or a charge made.

Spot on. I saw this guy last night on Newsmax. I just wish guys like him could be on the MAINSTREAM media outlets, where a large number of people could get to hear him. Most people will never know this guy exists, much less what he has to say, as programmed liberals are forbidden to ever watch conservative media.

Maybe somebody who thinks the arrests of these 2 officers is legal, would show up here, and pose an answer to the question of the title of this thread. Anybody ?

NO... No... You don't get frisked until you are under arrest for something. This isn't New York. If it was New York, I would still question it, but they at least have Stop and Frisk as something that's on the law books.

They would have frisked him after getting the handcuffs on him, not before. Pretty sure it's illegal everywhere but New York to do so without consent, or a charge made.
Yes, you do where I come from and I am in the south. If stopped in your car, they usually tell you to stay in the car. If the ask you to step out, they will generally pat you down at that point, as it is a matter of safety for all concerned. Heck, I got picked up late at night hitchhiking by just little county deputies, coming back to give me a ride after stopping on their way to a call. The asked if I was armed. I only had utility knife on belt, which I gave to them for safe keeping, then they patted me down, told me to hop in and we were off. They even carried me 12 miles into another county to drop me off at my Jeep, gave me back my knife and told me to have a good night. Nice guys.

Forum List

Back