How Long Will the AntiChrist Be Sitting in Your Temple?

General Titus was the man of perdition.

Wow... well THAT'S a relief! We don't need to worry about another world leader who will shepherd us all into a global conflagration. I hadn't heard that human nature changed since Titus' time.

Accurate prophecy was written after the fact. Jesus references Antiochus IV when he says that when his people see the Abomination of Desolation AGAIN , they must flee Jerusalem to avoid the tribulation. They did.. They fled to Pella.
Scripture doesn't say that Jesus referenced Antiochus. Jesus told his disciples, circa 30 AD, that they would see the abomination of desolation that Daniel prophesied (Mt 24:15). That is, according to Jesus, Daniel prophesied an event that was still in the apostles' future.

I'm not aware of an exodus of Christ's followers from Jerusalem in Antiochus' time.

The Abomination of Desolation was during Antiochus IV's rule.. The Book of Daniel was written around 168-164 BC.

Matthew 24:16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the ...
The Christians, bearing Christ's warning in mind, and having, as we may conjecture, seen the predicted sign, took the opportunity of flight from the doomed city, and made their escape to Pella, a town of Decapotis, southeast of Bethshean, and the ruins of which are known now by the name of Fahil.
That's irrelevant. Antiochus was history for Jesus and his disciples. Jesus was warning them of a future event.

Christ's followers didn't flee to Pella in the past, before Christ; they fled to Pella in their future, when Jerusalem burned down.

I'm not doing well with this.

Matthew 24:15 So when you see standing in the holy place ...
So when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it should not be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Luke 21:20 But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, you will know that her desolation is near.

Mountains · 15 Greek Text Analysis · Matthew 24 KJV · 15 Interlinear · Understand · Unclean
Mark 13:14 So when you see the abomination of desolation ...
The "abomination of desolation" is a Hebrew idiom, meaning "the abomination that maketh desolate." St. Luke (Luke 21:20) does not use the expression; it would have sounded strange to his Gentile readers. He says, "When ye see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that her desolation is at hand."
Obviously, Jerusalem and the temple system did not become desolate with Antiochus, as it continued to go on. They became desolate with Rome. Temple culture burned to the ground with Rome.

The age ended in AD 70, with Rome.

I agree that the age ended in 70AD.. but, I think you should read up on Antiochus. He was hell bent to Hellenize the Jews.

The Maccabean Revolt It was in Jerusalem where he first encountered the priestly Maccabees led by Judas Maccabeus who was disgusted by what Antiochus was doing to Israel. He felt enough was enough and he led a revolt against Antiochus, but the Maccabees weren’t very successful at first.
What Hanukkah and the Maccabean Revolt Have to Do with Jesus
www.steppesoffaith.com/apologetics/hanukkah-maccabean-revolt-jesus

Wow... well THAT'S a relief! We don't need to worry about another world leader who will shepherd us all into a global conflagration. I hadn't heard that human nature changed since Titus' time.

Accurate prophecy was written after the fact. Jesus references Antiochus IV when he says that when his people see the Abomination of Desolation AGAIN , they must flee Jerusalem to avoid the tribulation. They did.. They fled to Pella.
Scripture doesn't say that Jesus referenced Antiochus. Jesus told his disciples, circa 30 AD, that they would see the abomination of desolation that Daniel prophesied (Mt 24:15). That is, according to Jesus, Daniel prophesied an event that was still in the apostles' future.

I'm not aware of an exodus of Christ's followers from Jerusalem in Antiochus' time.

The Abomination of Desolation was during Antiochus IV's rule.. The Book of Daniel was written around 168-164 BC.

The Christians, bearing Christ's warning in mind, and having, as we may conjecture, seen the predicted sign, took the opportunity of flight from the doomed city, and made their escape to Pella, a town of Decapotis, southeast of Bethshean, and the ruins of which are known now by the name of Fahil.
That's irrelevant. Antiochus was history for Jesus and his disciples. Jesus was warning them of a future event.

Christ's followers didn't flee to Pella in the past, before Christ; they fled to Pella in their future, when Jerusalem burned down.

So when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it should not be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Luke 21:20 But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, you will know that her desolation is near.

Mountains · 15 Greek Text Analysis · Matthew 24 KJV · 15 Interlinear · Understand · Unclean
The "abomination of desolation" is a Hebrew idiom, meaning "the abomination that maketh desolate." St. Luke (Luke 21:20) does not use the expression; it would have sounded strange to his Gentile readers. He says, "When ye see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that her desolation is at hand."
Obviously, Jerusalem and the temple system did not become desolate with Antiochus, as it continued to go on. They became desolate with Rome. Temple culture burned to the ground with Rome.

I agree that the age ended in 70AD.. but, I think you should read up on Antiochus. He was hell bent to Hellenize the Jews.

The Maccabean Revolt It was in Jerusalem where he first encountered the priestly Maccabees led by Judas Maccabeus who was disgusted by what Antiochus was doing to Israel. He felt enough was enough and he led a revolt against Antiochus, but the Maccabees weren’t very successful at first.
Yea, that's kind of interesting. The holy people certainly enjoyed life under Hasmonean rule.

But that was all before Christ, and, according to Jesus (and history), not the object of Daniel's prophecy.

funny how everyone beats-around-the-bush and does not address the Word of God in the OP -
typical of the dead state of society- especially the dead church and all the zombies in it.

Yea, that's kind of interesting. The holy people certainly enjoyed life under Hasmonean rule.

But that was all before Christ, and, according to Jesus (and history), not the object of Daniel's prophecy.

Jesus is referencing Daniel's prophecy.. When they see the Abomination of Desolation AGAIN they are to flee from Jerusalem to the mountains.

funny how everyone beats-around-the-bush and does not address the Word of God in the OP -
typical of the dead state of society- especially the dead church and all the zombies in it.

Scofield has done a lot of damage and the futurists ignore the word of God.

Good question... . Was Daniel written AFTER the events he ...

They all agreed that every accurate prediction in Daniel was written after it had already been fulfilled (a vaticinium ex eventu) and therefore in the period of the Maccabean revolt (168-165 B.C.). Also some of them were inclined to question the unity of the book on the ground of internal evidence and language differences; certain portions of the book--particularly the narratives in chapters 2-6--were thought to …

Jesus is referencing Daniel's prophecy.. When they see the Abomination of Desolation AGAIN they are to flee from Jerusalem to the mountains.
You'd be hard-pressed to find a spiritual interpretation on this site.
I certainly won't be casting my pearls . .

Amazing how people get this wrong.

II Thessalonians 2:

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth (present tense) himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God (present tense), shewing himself that he is God.

5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

6 And now ye know what withholdeth (present tense) that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth (present tense) will let, until he be taken out of the way.

"AND NOW there are MANY ANTICHRISTS" - I John 2:18
Over 7 billion of them.
Why is the bible so negative? Is god's message supposed to be so negative?

You'd be hard-pressed to find a spiritual interpretation on this site.
I certainly won't be casting my pearls . .

Well, then just look at the facts. The book of Daniel was written after 200 BC.. and it was written by Jews because of the persecutions of Antiochus IV and the Maccabbean Revolt.

The Book is set during the Babylonian exile and it wasn't written by Daniel or D'anel.. it was written by a committee of Jews. circa 168-164 BC.

Danel , father of Aqhat, was a culture hero who appears in an incomplete Ugaritic text of the fourteenth century BCE at Ugarit (modern Ras Shamra), Syria, where the name is rendered DN'IL, "El is judge".

Last edited:

II Thessalonians 2:

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth (present tense) himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God (present tense), shewing himself that he is God.

6 And now ye know what withholdeth (present tense) that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth (present tense) will let, until he be taken out of the way.

Over 7 billion of them.
Because you see it as negative -
To the pure all things are pure, to those corrupt, all things are corrupt.

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.
Lots of people have a hard time reconciling the OT with the NT.

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.
"They struggle with the scriptures unto their own destruction" -
II Peter 3:16

Because they have no spiritual understanding from the Holy Spirit -
They operate from the Unholy Spirit.

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.
God drowning the world because he couldn’t make it right the first time isn’t negative?

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

When the Bible contradicts itself you guys always say that. How do you get the Holy Spirit if you can't read the Bible?

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.
God drowning the world because he couldn’t make it right the first time isn’t negative?

Never happened.. Its a morality tale about redemption... borrowed from Sumer.

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

So why doesn’t god enlighten me and everyone else?

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

Ya, but I’m asking why the bible is so negative.

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

Ya, but I’m asking why the bible is so negative.

I think to instill fear and for the sake of drama..

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

So why doesn’t god enlighten me and everyone else?
How do you know He hasn't?

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

When the Bible contradicts itself you guys always say that. How do you get the Holy Spirit if you can't read the Bible?
The Spirit of God is within everyone. You think it's just a coincidence that man knows right from wrong and when he violates it rather than abandoning right he rationalizes he didn't violate it?

Forum List

Back