How Much Is The "Tithe"?

10%. That's what a tithe is.

Will a man rob God?

We are only accountable to God. When you are in front of the Lord on judgment day, will you be able to say you were honest with Him?

Familiar with "Abou Ben Adhem"?

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still, and said "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

By James Henry Leigh Hunt

The charity I give is to help other folks.
God doesn't need my money.

I refuse to tithe until they can reserve me the best seats in heaven

In that case.....save your money.

....and dress lightly.

If you depend on the government then the government has to become God to grow.
If you need a handout then a government worker that supports forms of welfare exists and a population that supports a party is in place. They want market share so all other endeavors have to cease.

Last edited:
I've always been involved in "tithing," but always thought of same in connection with Christianity. I understand by that Jewish folk were very active in philanthropy, but just read a publication which reminded me that it is based on the Old Testament, is both religious- and politically-based ....and that it required more than ten percent!

You might find it interesting.

1. " Tithing is an Old Testament practice. God accepted the tithes of Abraham and Jacob (Genesis 14:18-24; 28:20-22). Later, he used the tithing system to finance the religious and secular needs of his people, the nation of Israel (Numbers 18:21; Leviticus 27:30).

a. . “Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, and he blessed Abram, saying, ‘Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand.’ Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything” (Genesis 14:18-20). Giving God back a tenth of what is his was a way of recognizing God’s ultimate ownership of everything.

2. Tithing, in patriarchal times, was an act or expression of worship. Tithing is not again discussed in the Pentateuch until the time of Moses — with the establishment of a priesthood in Israel. Mosaic law required the Israelites to pay tithes to the Levites, who did not own land, the usual means of support (Numbers 18:21-24). The Levites, in turn, gave one tenth of what they received to the Aaronic priesthood (verses 25-32).

3. Although the Levites received tithes, it did not belong to them. The tithe belonged to God. It was “holy” (verse 32), sanctified for God’s use and purpose. God was simply defining how his tithe was to be used.

4. God also instituted a program to help the needy, such as orphans and widows. Those who had the means were to set aside a tithe every third year (Deuteronomy verses 28-29)."
Tithing in Israel | Grace Communion International

5. "The Mosaic Law required the children of Israel to pay three different tithes: Israelites were commanded to pay upwards of ~23% in tithes, not a mere 10%.

a. The levitical tithe (Lev 27:30-32; Num 18:21,24), The levitical tithe was the standard tithe. It required all Israelites to give 10% of their increase (crops, fruit, livestock) to the Levites.

b. The annual festival tithe (Dt 14:22-27), The festival tithe was to be “paid” annually when the Jews gathered in Jerusalem for one of the national festivals. The worshipper was instructed to take 10% of his annual increase to Jerusalem and consume it together with his family and the Levites, at the festival. They feast would consist of grains, meat, and drink.

c. And tri-annual poor tithe (Dt 14:28-29). The poor tithe was paid every three years. Like the festival tithe, this tithe was intended to feed others, including Levites. Unlike the festival tithe, however, this meal was intended to feed foreigners, orphans, and widows—not at Jerusalem, but within one’s own city. Rather than tithing on the past three years, the worshipper only had to tithe on his increase for the year in which the poor tithe was required.

6. How much do all these tithes add up to over a three year period?
It depends on how it was calculated. If the festival and poor tithes were based on what remained after paying the levitical and festival tithes, then for the first and second year every Israelite would pay 19% in tithes, and for the third year they would pay 27.1%, for an average of 21.7% per year.
If the festival and poor tithes were based on one’s gross increase, then for the first and second year every Israelite would pay 20% in tithes, and for the third year they would pay 30%, for an average of 23.3% per year.

7. We should give according to need, and according to our ability (Acts 11:29; 2 Corinthians 8:3; 9:7). As Paul said, “Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully” (2 Corinthians 9:6, ESV)."
Tithing Cost Israelites More than 10% Under the Mosaic Covenant | Theo-sophical Ruminations

The Jewish tithing laws are a lie. Tithing was meant for the Israelites to take a tenth of their grain crops and store them for when a drought occurs. That way, they would have food to eat when they couldn't raise crops in the dry dirt. The religious Jews changed this into taking a tenth of people's hard labor to fill their own pockets and build their false gods ( tabarnacles ) with. This gave these false prophets power and control over the other sinners who thought they were speaking the Truth to them.

All Christian leaders who promote tithing are false prophets who are living off the hard labor of the other sinners who go to their dens' of satan ( church buildings ) to pray to their false gods.

Giving ten percent of one's profits in an agrarian, mainly barter, economy is a completely different concept than ten percent of one's gross income in a monetary economy. Certainly, there' nothing wrong with contributing that much, but I don't see anything in the Bible that supports it.

If you look at what the temple used the tithes for (largely charitable), then it would be reasonable to consider a portion of one's taxes (federal, state, and local) as being a substitute for at least a portion of one's "tithe." Moreover, direct charitable giving to humanitarian organizations (or to individuals) should also "count."

There is also a moral obligation to support one's "church," which is to say, to pay something for the facilities and their upkeep, as well as any paid staff. But nothing near 10% of your income - that would be absurd.

With all this in mind, I would think that a hundred bucks a month to the "church" for each family ought to be sufficient. Extra money for specific ministries or outreaches.

Will a man rob God?

We are only accountable to God. When you are in front of the Lord on judgment day, will you be able to say you were honest with Him?

Nowhere in the prophecies does it show that man has to give a tenth of his labor to another sinner ( religious leader ) to build their false gods ( buildings ) and worship false gods ( Jesus and the god of Abraham ).

God did have the Israelites take a tenth of their crops and store them for they dry years so they would have food to eat. The Jewish leaders took this and made tithing a lie to gain wealth and power by enslaving other sinners to work hard to pay them from the fruits of their work. These are man's laws that have nothing to do with the Truth.

I refuse to tithe until they can reserve me the best seats in heaven

In that case.....save your money.

....and dress lightly.

I think the idea of reserving the best seats in a church are also unscriptural. In the book of James it does speak about that too. There are alot of things said and done in todays churches that are not found in scripture.

Will a man rob God?

Familiar with "Abou Ben Adhem"?

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still, and said "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

By James Henry Leigh Hunt

The charity I give is to help other folks.
God doesn't need my money.

I agree! I love that story, Political Chic! That was beautiful. Very beautiful.

God told us saints to sell everything we have and give to the poor. It's not material possessions we give to the poor. We give good news to the poor in spirit about how God planned and created us to live forever. Once our flesh perishes during this age, we're freed from this strong delusion that God created to keep us from knowing who we are in Him. We'll all know who we are in God during the next age after this one is destroyed.

Forum List

Back