How sexy is classical music?

For guno

Shalom.

My grandparents lived at that same time in a Shtetl in Russia, not unlike the town Anatevka in the book and movie. They came over in 1905, I have pictures of my grandfather growing up in the Shtetl. Unfortunately some of the family stayed and were murdered by the nazis when Russian was invaded , we have their names and pictures on the wall so we may never forget

I'm sorry, Guno. Anyone with a conscience would be deeply grieved to know what your loved ones suffered. I'm very sorry.

After Sergei Rachmaninoff heard Horowitz play his 3rd Concerto he never played it again.
Wise decision!

Wilhelm Furtwängler conducts Richard Wagner's "Meistersinger Prelude" at A.E.G. Factory, Berlin, February 26th 1942.

You know Sunni Man, perhaps you should have chosen another performance from the great Wilhelm Furtwängler, this one you chose, gave the opportunity for people to bring politics and division into this thread.

Richard Wagner, the greatest composer of soul music ever, music from his soul to our soul, immense, passionate, dramatic, genius and Music of the Gods.

Wilhelm Furtwängler, I give you two of his performances.

This is in colour, it's just five minutes and fifty-five seconds in duration, it's a performance of W. A. Mozart's "Don Giovanni" Ouvertüre, performed in Salzburg in 1954, the orchestra is the Wiener Philharmoniker:

This second video is Wilhelm Furtwängler conducting Richard Wagner's "Tannhäuser" Ouvertüre - the full title of the opera of course is "Tannhäuser und der Sängerkrieg auf Wartburg" - Tannhäuser and the Singers' Contest at Wartburg - Wagner composed this, an opera in three acts in 1845, it's based on two famous German legends, Tannhäuser the Minnesänger - this was a person who wrote and sang a specific type of song in the German Medieval period, songs called Minnesang, usually romantic songs, hence the name....the Mittelhochdeutsch - Middle High German - word for "love" is "minne" and also another famous German legend of Wartburg Sängerkrieg or just Wartburgkrieg - a famous song contest that was held in 1207.

Here is a drawing of it from Große Heidelberger Liederhandschrift, a book of songs and poetry that was written and illustrated between 1304-1340, it contains roughly 140 miniatures, immensely beautiful things, nobody is absolutely sure who compiled this wonderful book, but many scholars think it was Johannes Hadlaub, himself a famous Minnesänger:

800px-Codex_Manesse_S%C3%A4ngerkrieg_auf_der_Wartburg.jpg

So, here is Richard Wagner's ""Tannhäuser" Ouvertüre, conducted by Wilhelm Furtwängler in 1952, again in Salzburg and again the orchestra is Wiener Philharmoniker:

Some of the compositions of classical composers and the young age in which they wrote these works is simply astounding. This is one of my favorites from Schubert. He died at 31 and wrote this symphony no 2 at 17.

My favorite classical pieces...

Prokofiev's Troika from Lt Kije :)

The finali from Stravinksi's Firebird Suite....a beautiful ballet as well as beautiful music :)

Smetena - The Muldau....musically traces the Danube from it's origins as a trickling brook to the mighty river sweeping past castles and mercantile centers :)

After Sergei Rachmaninoff heard Horowitz play his 3rd Concerto he never played it again.
Wise decision!

You have just listened to the greatest pianist the world has ever known! Horowitz!

In YOUR opinion....what about Arrau, Gould, Rubenstein....what about Alfred Brendel?

Franz Schubert "Four Impromptus, D 935, Op. posth. 142"

Wise decision!

You have just listened to the greatest pianist the world has ever known! Horowitz!

In YOUR opinion....what about Arrau, Gould, Rubenstein....what about Alfred Brendel?

Arrau did a wonderful job on a recording of chopins piano concertos.

Wise decision!

Wise decision!

Arrau did a wonderful job on a recording of chopins piano concertos.

Absolutely, amazing and divine, Chile must have been very proud of him.

Forum List

Back