How to compete against China?

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England

Screenshot_20240728-145257.jpg

Minimum wage in China varies from $1.38 to $3.59, and they churn out junk.

So there's just this circle of cheap crap, newer generations just focused on price, chuck away society, child/forced labour, up roar if tariffs are mentioned.

So how does Western nations break this cycle of Chinese junk deprivation?

View attachment 985634

So there's just this circle of cheap crap, newer generations just focused on price, chuck away society, child/forced labour, up roar if tariffs are mentioned.

While they do make some junk, they also make some of the best things in the world.

How? Look beyond war and the next P&L statement when deciding how to act.

It's not because Chinese workers make less. On top of production costs you have to add shipping costs and those people are not poorly paid.

Yep. We will never compete against China while spending trillions on wars in places like Iraq and Afghanistan

Yep. We will never compete against China while spending trillions on wars in places like Iraq and Afghanistan
You would still have to bring the bulk of manufacturing back home to make it work. And pay people a living wage in a country where home prices and rents are reaching absurd prices..all while wage stagnation rambles onward.

You would still have to bring the bulk of manufacturing back home to make it work. And pay people a living wage in a country where home prices and rents are reaching absurd prices..all while wage stagnation rambles onward.

We do not need to "out produce" China, or any other country and will never be able to. China is starting to price itself out of the market like Japan did and India will take its place.

Focus on high end, strategic items and let other countries make the rest for us.

We do not need to "out produce" China, or any other country and will never be able to. China is starting to price itself out of the market like Japan did and India will take its place.

Focus on high end, strategic items and let other countries make the rest for us.

Where I worked tried to move some production from here to China. They spent a lot of money creating the facilities. The process was labor intensive.

We sent people over there to train them on making this product. They refused to do the work. They understood how much we made to make this product and what they were getting paid and simply refused to do it.

It is still being made here. End users are still buying it.

I absolutely hated sitting through meetings where the emphasis was on "Shareholder value".

If economics is you only consideration then china will continue to produce most of the worlds consumer goods for many years into the future

But we have to break their dominance for security reasons also

Who says we have to. Yes, you can save on cost by going to China, but you won't get the same level of service or quality.

By comparison, 60 years ago, Japan was in the same boat China is in now. "Made in Japan" meant cheap quality. Today, it means superior quality because the Japanese engage in process improvement.

China is actually getting better in terms of quality (mostly because their customers demand it) but if you have to wait six months to get your product, you aren't going to have the same service level.

The reality is, we are in a global economy, and we need to look to improve our own industries to make them more competitive.

Up until 1720, China was the world's biggest economy. It was overtaken by the UK , which was eventually overtaken by the US, but now China is reasserting itself as the biggest.

To which I say, "So what?" Has no real effect on my life if we are number one or number two.

If economics is you only consideration then china will continue to produce most of the worlds consumer goods for many years into the future

But we have to break their dominance for security reasons also

Why?

Frankly, China isn't the bad actor here, we are.

China goes into countries and helps them build roads and ports.

We go into countries and bomb them because they pick forms of government we don't like.

I'd go into detail, but I don't think I can overcome your learning disability.

Forum List

Back