How to Read a Tree.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Do two trees ever appear identical? No, but why? Every small difference is a clue.

Each tree we meet is filled with signs that reveal secrets about the life of that tree and the landscape we stand in. The clues are easy to spot when you know what to look for, but remain invisible to most people.

In How to Read a Tree, you’ll discover the simple principles that explain the shapes and patterns you can see in trees and what they mean. And you’ll learn rare skills that can be applied every time you pass a tree, whether you are in a town or a wilder spot.

As the author of the international bestsellers The Walker’s Guide and How to Read Water, Tristan Gooley knows how to uncover the phenomena worth looking for. He has been instructing people in the art of reading trees for two decades and this book includes signs that will not be found in any other book in the world.

Once you have learned to see these things it is impossible to unsee them. We will never look at a tree the same way again.

The history of that forest is written in the trees. You can see where clearings used to be, the long term effects of storms or of logging. And occasionally a message is left by other people a century or more ago.

• Banned
The history of that forest is written in the trees. You can see where clearings used to be, the long term effects of storms or of logging. And occasionally a message is left by other people a century or more ago.

What sparked this off was a guy on TV talking about how if you got lost in the forest, the trees could guide you home.

Do two trees ever appear identical? No, but why? Every small difference is a clue.

Each tree we meet is filled with signs that reveal secrets about the life of that tree and the landscape we stand in. The clues are easy to spot when you know what to look for, but remain invisible to most people.

In How to Read a Tree, you’ll discover the simple principles that explain the shapes and patterns you can see in trees and what they mean. And you’ll learn rare skills that can be applied every time you pass a tree, whether you are in a town or a wilder spot.

As the author of the international bestsellers The Walker’s Guide and How to Read Water, Tristan Gooley knows how to uncover the phenomena worth looking for. He has been instructing people in the art of reading trees for two decades and this book includes signs that will not be found in any other book in the world.

Once you have learned to see these things it is impossible to unsee them. We will never look at a tree the same way again.

They are all unique. And their bark is like the wrinkles on a person's face.

What sparked this off was a guy on TV talking about how if you got lost in the forest, the trees could guide you home.
But trees which have been badly treated are known to be deceitful and cunning .
Oaks and Silver Birch are notorious for being serial liars .
As for Beeches . Villains dressed up as big bushes .

pussy-tree.jpg

I have this tree on my property that I am trying to read. It seems to be growing quite well and is perfectly healthy, but I'm just not sure what it is telling me.

If you ever are standing under a tree on a sunny day and it feels like it is starting to rain, run like hell. That thing, or at least a very healthy chunk of it, is getting ready to fall.

What my dad and those who worked in the pulp wood industry the FFA and what others told me the Boy Scouts taught a lot about reading trees. I can say you learn a lot from them, History of the area as far as climate history and soil conditions.

Forum List

Back