How to stop violent crime.

What do you think of this idea. It's pretty harsh, and some might even say it's unconstitutional. But it would work.

It's pretty simple. If anyone commits a crime with a deadly weapon, they receive an automatic death penalty. This would require two reliable witnesses, DNA evidence, fingerprint evidence, ballistics, or other irrefutable evidence.. If found guilty, you get two appeals. That's it. Sentence to be carried out immediately after the third appeal. If we had a law like this, the people who commit such crimes would all be dead.

Ah I remember how well that worked in 18th century England- pretty much anyone who committed any violent crime could count on being hanged.

Stopped all violent crime.

Oh wait.......no it didn't.......

Simple solutions for simple folk.

What about when the western USA was settled? There were lots of public hangings then as well and they didn't seem to stop the outlaws very much.

It's probably the best copy of the Tao that I've ever come across, and I've been a Taoist since around 1995. Like I said, it's got a light blue cover with a red border, and it is translated by a dude named Red Pine.
I'm going to get the book through Amazon. It's only $10.54 in paperback. Amazon doesn't have a hard cover copy. Amazon's site allows you to read the preface and the first few pages of the teachings of Lao Tzu. It looks great, as you said.

You think that Florida shooter worried about the death penalty when he killed alll those kids?
There is no way to stop someone who is crazy. My idea is not intended as a deterrent. It is designed to remove people like them from the gene pool.

What do you think of this idea. It's pretty harsh, and some might even say it's unconstitutional. But it would work.

It's pretty simple. If anyone commits a crime with a deadly weapon, they receive an automatic death penalty. This would require two reliable witnesses, DNA evidence, fingerprint evidence, ballistics, or other irrefutable evidence.. If found guilty, you get two appeals. That's it. Sentence to be carried out immediately after the third appeal. If we had a law like this, the people who commit such crimes would all be dead.

Ah I remember how well that worked in 18th century England- pretty much anyone who committed any violent crime could count on being hanged.

Stopped all violent crime.

Oh wait.......no it didn't.......

Simple solutions for simple folk.

What about when the western USA was settled? There were lots of public hangings then as well and they didn't seem to stop the outlaws very much.
Back then, most people could defend themselves because they had guns. And crime wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

You think that Florida shooter worried about the death penalty when he killed alll those kids?
There is no way to stop someone who is crazy. My idea is not intended as a deterrent. It is designed to remove people like them from the gene pool.

This is a gem!

But seriously, since the US already executes most of it’s population of all western nations, shouldn’t the effect you desire already be quite apparent? Being in top five of both execution and homicide indicates the opposite, don’t you think?

As for manipulating the gene pool, you would have to predict who is likely to commit such crimes before they mate. And weed them out. Or execute their offspring.

This is a gem!

But seriously, since the US already executes most of it’s population of all western nations, shouldn’t the effect you desire already be quite apparent? Being in top five of both execution and homicide indicates the opposite, don’t you think?

The problem with our death penalty is that it takes so long to carry out, it doesn't work as a deterrent.

Many of our death row inmates sit in jail for 10, 12, 15, and even 18 years before the execution gets carried out. Now you tell me, are you worried about what's going to happen to you in 18 years from now? Most people are not, and that's why the death penalty is not a deterrent.

If we wanted to have the death penalty work as a deterrent, the first thing we have to do is get rid of all the liberals. Next we have the penalty carried out with all appeals exhausted in three months. The execution should be televised.

If we did it that way, our murder rate would drop in half.

Arm yourself and if you happen to become a victim of this person shoot him or her. It's not like we need to put up with it and go to court. Kill them. It's over.

Yes, it is common sense that if the 750 individuals on California's Death Row were all executed within one month, you would see a BIG drop in murders.

Those thugs who go around killing people would be shaking in their boots.

BUT this is the United States of America.

For better or worse, capital punishment -- for all intents and purposes -- is dead. (Except for a few isolated cases in the South.)

So murders will continue.

More murderers will be given life sentences -- or not.

Crime will continue to become even worse as the country's population profile continues to change rapidly.

The situation is hopeless.

Anyone who chooses to live here simply has to hope that s/he can live in a good neighborhood and try to find a good city in which to live if possible.

(Sadly, good neighborhoods and good cities are fast disappearing.)

Ummm, I hate to point out the obvious, but the 750 people on CA's Death Row aren't killing anyone anymore.

No they aren't, but they are costing the taxpayers about 35K each per year. A bullet is less than one dollar.

This is a gem!

The problem with our death penalty is that it takes so long to carry out, it doesn't work as a deterrent.

Many of our death row inmates sit in jail for 10, 12, 15, and even 18 years before the execution gets carried out. Now you tell me, are you worried about what's going to happen to you in 18 years from now? Most people are not, and that's why the death penalty is not a deterrent.

If we wanted to have the death penalty work as a deterrent, the first thing we have to do is get rid of all the liberals. Next we have the penalty carried out with all appeals exhausted in three months. The execution should be televised.

Yeah, no need to spend years on trivial things like making sure they actually did the crime, huh?

Yes, it is common sense that if the 750 individuals on California's Death Row were all executed within one month, you would see a BIG drop in murders.

For better or worse, capital punishment -- for all intents and purposes -- is dead. (Except for a few isolated cases in the South.)

Crime will continue to become even worse as the country's population profile continues to change rapidly.

Anyone who chooses to live here simply has to hope that s/he can live in a good neighborhood and try to find a good city in which to live if possible.

Ummm, I hate to point out the obvious, but the 750 people on CA's Death Row aren't killing anyone anymore.

No they aren't, but they are costing the taxpayers about 35K each per year. A bullet is less than one dollar.

Oh ok, so its not actually about keeping the public safe? It is about killing someone to save our tax dollars?

And if we killed all 750 people on the CA Death Row, how much would it save each person? $3? $10?

This is a gem!

So, if you transform into a country without any political opposition and swift public executions you estimate that the murder rate would drop 50%?

Oh ok, so its not actually about keeping the public safe? It is about killing someone to save our tax dollars?

And if we killed all 750 people on the CA Death Row, how much would it save each person? $3? $10?

If you want to only consider those executed. But then consider all the future criminals that wouldn't want to be in that position in the first place. The savings could be billions.

This is a gem!

So, if you transform into a country without any political opposition and swift public executions you estimate that the murder rate would drop 50%?

No, it's just that it's liberals that always get in the way of pragmatic solutions in our country. But yes, if we executed people the way I outlined, it would drastically reduce our murder rate.

This is a gem!

Yeah, no need to spend years on trivial things like making sure they actually did the crime, huh?

No, I'm all for absolute imperial evidence before executing somebody.

We can do both at the same time.

This is a gem!

No, it's just that it's liberals that always get in the way of pragmatic solutions in our country. But yes, if we executed people the way I outlined, it would drastically reduce our murder rate.

I’m not convinced, facing certain death can make people able to carry out the most amazing things. That could in reality lead to more killings to protect their own lives in the 100% hostile environment.

What about putting their kin into the equation too? If people knew that it’s more on stake than their own life it would have an even more deterrent effect?

This is a gem!

I’m not convinced, facing certain death can make people able to carry out the most amazing things. That could in reality lead to more killings to protect their own lives in the 100% hostile environment.

What about putting their kin into the equation too? If people knew that it’s more on stake than their own life it would have an even more deterrent effect?

We don't execute innocent people here. It's immoral, unconstitutional, and plain wrong.

This is a gem!

We don't execute innocent people here. It's immoral, unconstitutional, and plain wrong.

Oh, I totally agree, but you are talking about reforming the juridical process to cause effect on a social pattern, just curios about how far you think it’s worth taking it.
And they wouldn’t have to die, perhaps some sort of public humiliation?

You would see cases where a heated discussion ends with manslaughter, possible life in prison today or less if there are
extenuating circumstances to consider. This person, ready to face justice today would then have to flee for his life, death is certain. There would be a new breed of fleeing people with nothing to lose.

(I’m pretty sure innocents have been executed)

Forum List

Back