How Uncle Sam Divvies Up $100 of Your Taxes - The Wall Street Journal

Try a link where ya don't have to subscribe........

Maybe this one?

Where Do Your Tax Dollars Actually Go? -- The Motley Fool

About $2.7 trillion -- more than two-thirds of the total -- went for various kinds of social insurance (Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare, unemployment compensation, veterans benefits and the like). Another $604 billion, or 15.3% of total spending, went for national defense; net interest payments on government debt was about $240 billion, or 6.1%. Education aid and related social services were about $114 billion, or less than 3% of all federal spending.

Every other program -- public broadcasting, NASA, national parks, foreign aid, and everything else -- adds up to the remaining 6% of the federal budget. Here's how each major spending area breaks down:

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

Medicare and SS are separate taxes and should not be included.

Maybe this one?

About $2.7 trillion -- more than two-thirds of the total -- went for various kinds of social insurance (Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare, unemployment compensation, veterans benefits and the like). Another $604 billion, or 15.3% of total spending, went for national defense; net interest payments on government debt was about $240 billion, or 6.1%. Education aid and related social services were about $114 billion, or less than 3% of all federal spending.

Every other program -- public broadcasting, NASA, national parks, foreign aid, and everything else -- adds up to the remaining 6% of the federal budget. Here's how each major spending area breaks down:

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

I read the entire article and I don't have a subscription.

Maybe this one?

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

You get 10 free ones a month. I notice so many are now charging, the post is another and several more.

Maybe this one?

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

It tells me if I want to read the article I have to sign in or subscribe.

Maybe this one?

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

You get 10 free ones a month. I notice so many are now charging, the post is another and several more.

Got it. Thanks.

I will not subscribe to any online news source because the alternatives are limitless.

It's about all taxes paid to the government..... Of course those not sanity challenged would get that. :thup:

It should be separated but we know the Gov dips into SS and Medicare. Also I bet the military is a lot more.
Your "take" on this issue has no bearing on the discussion..... It's about how the government divvies up taxes, all our taxes, SS and Medicare are taxes....... Oops......

Maybe this one?

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

Any country that pays 15% of it's budget on their military and 3% of it's budget educating it's citizens is a country in bad trouble. This is a society that values bombs 5 times more than an educated population with all the ramifications for jobs and competition with the rest of the world.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson -

Maybe this one?

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

Any country that pays 15% of it's budget on their military and 3% of it's budget educating it's citizens is a country in bad trouble. This is a society that values bombs 5 times more than an educated population with all the ramifications for jobs and competition with the rest of the world.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson -
So? Not my concern besides that 3% is nothing more than moneys to states each of which provide the vast majority of funding for their own education systems. Ya want to argue subjective morality do it with one of the many partisan hacks that infest the board. :thup:

Maybe this one?

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

- Thomas Jefferson -
So? Not my concern besides that 3% is nothing more than moneys to states each of which provide the vast majority of funding for their own education systems. Ya want to argue subjective morality do it with one of the many partisan hacks that infest the board. :thup:

You don't own information Chuck. Odd that you had some need to post an angry response. I was using the information to make a point, you aren't involved so bye now and buy bonds.

It's about all taxes paid to the government..... Of course those not sanity challenged would get that. :thup:

It should be separated but we know the Gov dips into SS and Medicare. Also I bet the military is a lot more.
Your "take" on this issue has no bearing on the discussion..... It's about how the government divvies up taxes, all our taxes, SS and Medicare are taxes....... Oops......

They borrow from SS. Sure it does, Fed income tax is separate or should be kept separate. I am sure most would agree with me.

Linking WSJ ought to not happen, unless the link includes the site that lets you work around their subscription thing by proxy.

Maybe this one?

• 24% Social Security
  • 15% Medicare
  • 15% Defense
  • 13% Health
  • 13% Income Security
  • 6% Net Interest
  • 5% Veterans Benefits
  • 6% Other
  • 3% Education

- Thomas Jefferson -

You don't own information Chuck. Odd that you had some need to post an angry response. I was using the information to make a point, you aren't involved so bye now and buy bonds.
Angry response? Really? You're kidding, right?

Forum List

Back