How will eliminating the Estate Tax benefit the Middle class?

Syriusly

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2014
Trump’s Tax Plan Cuts Rates for Individuals and Corporations and Eliminates Many Deductions

“My plan is for working people and my plan is for jobs,” Mr. Trump said. “I don’t benefit. Very, very strongly I think there’s very little benefit for people of wealth.”

The Estate tax in 2017 only applies to estates of $5,490,000 or more. If Donald Trump died tomorrow Melania, as his spouse, would still not have to pay any estate taxes on Donald's supposed $10 billion dollars- because of the spousal exemption. If both of them died tomorrow- then yes- his kids would face estate taxes.

How does eliminating the estate tax benefit 'working people'? How does it generate jobs?

Provisions such as the alternative minimum tax and the estate tax, a tax on inherited wealth which Mr. Trump has derided over the years, would be gone under the Republican proposal.

How does it do anything but benefit the families of the wealthiest Americans?

Save me the arguments that the Estate tax is 'unfair'- Trump and the Republicans are claiming these tax cuts are all about generating jobs and benefiting the middle class- if you want to claim that the reason to eliminate the estate tax is because the tax is 'unfair'- then go ahead and admit that Trump and the Republicans are lying to Americans about what the tax cuts are for- and who they are supposed to benefit.

It doesnt create jobs lol
I wonder how kids with not a lot of money pay for their families estate?

The estate pays the tax.

So lets say your mommy and daddy are worth $10 million dollars- and both die in a tragic automobile accident.

You inherit all $10 million dollars free and clear- because the joint exemption for your parents wealth is $10.98 million

Now if your parents are worth $20 million- their estate will have to pay estate taxes on approximately $9 million- and you will get the $11 million + plus the balance of the $9 million after taxes.

How will eliminating that tax create jobs or help the middle class- both which the Republicans and Trump have said this tax change is intended to do?

The estate pays the tax.

So lets say your mommy and daddy are worth $10 million dollars- and both die in a tragic automobile accident.

You inherit all $10 million dollars free and clear- because the joint exemption for your parents wealth is $10.98 million

Now if your parents are worth $20 million- their estate will have to pay estate taxes on approximately $9 million- and you will get the $11 million + plus the balance of the $9 million after taxes.

How will eliminating that tax create jobs or help the middle class- both which the Republicans and Trump have said this tax change is intended to do?
What do they do if its just assets and not currency?

Same ol' BS .... "if we allow the wealthy to keep their money, it won't benefit the middle class. There will be no jobs created, there will be no companies invested in."

Y'all need to wake up to reality. Until then, a discussion based on a false strawman is an exercise in mental masturbation.

Taxing death isn't fair or reasonable. They have already taxed every cent you had while alive, then treat themselves to it all again when you die.
Generational farmers don't make a lot. Here they do it for the love of the farm. Before they go to work, and after they get home from work. One had to take out a loan to pay the death tax after his father died. Others have to sell off parts of land that has been in their family for several hundred years. It is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Tax free up to 5 million seems like a pretty good tax break to me. I'd be happy to get the 5 million and then have to pay taxes on the rest of it.

Tax free up to 5 million seems like a pretty good tax break to me. I'd be happy to get the 5 million and then have to pay taxes on the rest of it.
The Dems have proposed confiscating everything over 5 million. How would you feel about that??

The estate pays the tax.

Envy is a very unattractive attitude.

The estate pays the tax.

The estate pays the tax.

Great, substantive, and concise contribution to the discussion.

Wait! No, it wasn't.

Never mind.

The Dems have proposed confiscating everything over 5 million. How would you feel about that??

No- the Democrats haven't proposed anything- the tax reform is a GOP proposal.

Currently everything over 5 million(10 million per couple) is taxed- nothing below it.

Why do you believe that the wealthiest of Americans shouldn't be taxed?

The estate pays the tax.

Take out a loan? Same as with property taxes if you own property but are cash poor.

The estate pays the tax.

Take out a loan? Same as with property taxes if you own property but are cash poor.
Pay interest for paying taxes on something your family left you in their will that was already taxed and paid for? Holy shit man.. Thats sad
A lot different than income

Same ol' BS .... "if we allow the wealthy to keep their money, it won't benefit the middle class. There will be no jobs created, there will be no companies invested in."

Y'all need to wake up to reality. Until then, a discussion based on a false strawman is an exercise in mental masturbation.

Wow- talk about a strawman.

Trump and theRepublicans are proposing this tax cut stating specifically it is to benefit the middle class and to create jobs.

Are you agreeing that the Republicans and Trump are lying to Americans as to their stated reason for the tax cut?

The estate pays the tax.

Pay interest for paying taxes on something your family left you in their will that was already taxed and paid for? Holy shit man.. Thats sad

Then sell some of the free stuff you inherit from your family if you don't want to pay interest.
If you think that this particular tax- on the wealthiest Americans- is unfair- fine.

But that isn't what Trump or the Republicans are selling to Americans- they are saying that these tax cuts are to benefit the middle class and to create jobs.

I don't think it is particularly 'fair' to lie to the American people about what the tax cuts are.

The estate pays the tax.

Then sell some of the free stuff you inherit from your family if you don't want to pay interest.
If you think that this particular tax- on the wealthiest Americans- is unfair- fine.

But that isn't what Trump or the Republicans are selling to Americans- they are saying that these tax cuts are to benefit the middle class and to create jobs.

I don't think it is particularly 'fair' to lie to the American people about what the tax cuts are.
you pick one thing out and bash. Thats pretty dishonest.

Forum List

Back