HuffPost 10 Libraries [Photos]

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
As someone addicted to books – reading and writing them – I'm always interested in those who have them and how they're stored. To each his own, but the following is the one I like most.
slide_348763_3717002_free.jpg

The one that follows is nice – except – the huge screen TV seems to defeat the purpose. Read more @ These 10 Home Libraries Are For People Who Really, Really Love Their Books (PHOTOS)

When I left home for the military, my parents' attic was stuffed to the rafters with thousands of books. They made a pretty penny selling them, including some first editions. Broke my heart when I found out they sold all of them. One of my teenage jobs was in a bookstore. I worked for books instead of money.

Jesus, I did not realize how sick I am until I just wrote that!

Every couple of years, for decades, I would truck several hundred books to my local library and donate them. I just didn't have room for them in my house after I finished reading them.

I owe my hometown library a wing. I ran up a lot of late fees growing up, and they always let me off the hook with a one dollar fine every January. I love librarians!

You would not want to see a photo of my home library. It is a disaster area. It is in what I jokingly call The Bunker. It's a weird underground vault-like place under my house that I keep stores of food and other things, and my books have been gradually taking over. I really need to do something about that and restock my shelves with supplies. If the zombie apocalypse comes this week, I won't have enough food to last more than a few weeks, but I will never run out out reading material.

I resisted buying an e-book device for a long time. I just really like the feel of a book in my hands. But when I finally succumbed and bought a Kindle, my immediate reaction to it was, "Where have you been all my life!?!"

Love, love, love my Kindle.

I bought a leather binder thing for it so it feels like a real book.

Bury me with my Kindle. With military honors.

When people ask me what book I am reading, the answer depends on where I am at the moment. I read one book at home, one at work, and one on the road. Even though they are all on the same device, this is a habit that carried over from my pre-Kindle days. It's kind of weird, I know.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back