Human activity & coral reef degradation

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
seriously people, stop treating the ocean like your personal sewer :talktothehand: One day, after your long dead and gone, someone will look at the condition of the oceans and wonder why the fucktards from the 21st century treated the oceans as thier personal cesspool. :mad:

Coral Triangle | Places | WWF

discuss...

Nope.. YOU discuss. I don't practice fishing with DYNAMITE on coral reefs.. So I don't feel guilty about blowing them to bits. AND --- I give only to COMPETENT enviro causes. Not a bunch of lawyers and teddy bear salesmen POSING as environmentalists..

using chemicals to "stun" tropical fish which, incidentally kills coral as well.

When folks live subsidence lives on the margins of existence, they do stupider things. And their priorities are not the same as Americans who fret about the brutality of staying alive close to nature.

And they don't get played by the pros at WWF... They've got no money to buy lobster lunches for the lawyers.

When in Maui, the dive shops always remind tourists that are renting snorkel gear to NOT stand on reefs. So I hear ya Dot. Coral is very fragile.

When in Maui, the dive shops always remind tourists that are renting snorkel gear to NOT stand on reefs. So I hear ya Dot. Coral is very fragile.

They sustain a lot of sea life too. They are basically aquatic creature condominiums

Invasive species, pollution, and increasing ocean acidity are all having a very negative affect on the corals around the world. As Gracie noted, these are sealife condominiums. And, since we are the top predator, when we lose that sealife, we lose food for our own species. Not that it means anything to our board dingbats, if it doesn't affect them in the next ten minutes, it doesn't exist in their world.

Invasive species, pollution, and increasing ocean acidity are all having a very negative affect on the corals around the world. As Gracie noted, these are sealife condominiums. And, since we are the top predator, when we lose that sealife, we lose food for our own species. Not that it means anything to our board dingbats, if it doesn't affect them in the next ten minutes, it doesn't exist in their world.

I'm the one who said they were aquatic life condominiums though.

deniers think: oh well if the ocean is dead, I can live w/o sea bass :) WRONG BOYO!!! :mad: Everything is interconnected in the web of life and when the ocean turned into a pollutant infested graveyard, we're THROUGH, capisce?

Last edited:
*Reefs are very stable, and provide a protective barrier around many islands and coasts. Without the reefs these islands and coasts will erode away into the ocean.

*It is important to protect the reefs we have today, because they can't be replaced. Reefs are formed very slowly by tiny animals called "coral". Each animal is tinier than your pinky nail, and grows very slowly, only about 1 centimeter a year. The reefs we have today were formed over 100s of thousands of years, and it would take just as long to grow back, if they grow back at all Oil drilling and erosion from developing coasts near reefs are big problems.

Why are coral reefs important?

I'm with you on the invasive species (probably the most dangerous) and the pollution, but acidity is a hoax. That you need not trouble your tiny little head over...

Sorry about that, Dot. Read through fast, and didn't look back to check whom I was quoting.

Sure, Walleyes, protect the fossil fuel industry at all costs. CO2 creates warming, as does any GHG in the atmosphere. Basic science, first noted in the 1820's by Fourier. And increasing the amount of CO2 in the ocean decreases the Ph of the water. Again, simple science, known for as long as there was recognition of ions in water.

Combine the destruction of the corals with the massive pollution of the oceans, and the overfishing, and we are seeing a major threat to a major food source for about a third of the people on this planet. And, indeed, both in the degradation of land, fresh waters, and ocean life, we are destroying the very food chain we depend on. Add in a changing climate from the amount of GHGs we are adding to the atmosphere, and the climate change that forces, and our agriculture is going to take a major hit. With 7 billion humans on this planet, that is not a pretty picture.

We should do away with all the coastal cities that are polluting our oceans. Like New York, Los Angles, San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans...etc....I wonder what it is that they all have in common......Oh, that's right. They're liberal.

Their stench is killing off the coral reefs. Thank the liberals everyone...

Sorry about that, Dot. Read through fast, and didn't look back to check whom I was quoting.

Sure, Walleyes, protect the fossil fuel industry at all costs. CO2 creates warming, as does any GHG in the atmosphere. Basic science, first noted in the 1820's by Fourier. And increasing the amount of CO2 in the ocean decreases the Ph of the water. Again, simple science, known for as long as there was recognition of ions in water.

Combine the destruction of the corals with the massive pollution of the oceans, and the overfishing, and we are seeing a major threat to a major food source for about a third of the people on this planet. And, indeed, both in the degradation of land, fresh waters, and ocean life, we are destroying the very food chain we depend on. Add in a changing climate from the amount of GHGs we are adding to the atmosphere, and the climate change that forces, and our agriculture is going to take a major hit. With 7 billion humans on this planet, that is not a pretty picture.

I'm with you on the pollution, but all evidence says that a warmer world is a better one, no matter your absurd belief system. Climate change is absolutely natural and no, I don't "defend" the fossil fuel industry. I just realize that at the present time, that industry holds the key to elevating the 3rd world up to 1st world status which will have a massive beneficial effect on the pollution controls the world needs.

Your happy, happy solar and wind production has moved to the third world where they can pollute their little hearts out. In my world that crap wouldn't happen, but you don't care about them because they're "brown' people, so don't count for much in your world.

^ that

destroy the oceans at our peril. The Pacific Gyre is an in-your-face example to deniers of rampant human consumption

^ that

destroy the oceans at our peril. The Pacific Gyre is an in-your-face example to deniers of rampant human consumption

Seems like a perfect job for the UN dont it?? Might take a break from all that GW/CC charade and do some REAL enviro good. There are plently of cheap labor countries that would love to help clean up the floating parts of the pollution with UN cash.. Might have to scrimp on the Jumbo shrimp in the cafeteria and quit funding conferences on Global Redistribution and Sustainability and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.........

Forum List

Back