I am thinking about buying a gun......

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
Hi all

I was thinking that I do need some protection against violence.

With the number of shootings here in Florida, I doubt the little tae kwon do/grappling techniques will be enough to stop a shooter at thee grocery store/bus stop/or other public places I normally go to.

I need a new gun. I say new because I use to own a SW 40 cal. However, I found its recoil a little strong and it had a habit of jamming on a full clipped(I started shortening the clip by a bullet or two. Strangely, it never jammed when I had a clip of 7 bullets! Maybe there was something wrong with the gun. Anyway, I gained lots of practice on clearing the chamber from that gun)

Now I think I to rearm myself with another fire arm. I am looking for a gun that, say, would be best for a beginner. What I would I call a beginners pistol. One that is simple to clean, disassemble, load, with a weak to moderate recoil when fired, rarely jams and very very simple to master over all.

In other words, the perfect self defense conceal and carry pistol for the average citizen!

Any ideals?

How about those who oppose guns. What should I do for self defense when facing major fire power and trapped on aisle 9? Should I hide, run to the back of the store looking for an exit, or jump out, punch punch kick and pepper spray the assailant?

Really, an easy to use gun is a lot more comforting.

Can't go wrong with a 9mm.

How about those who oppose guns. What should I do for self defense when facing major fire power and trapped on aisle 9?

Talk about your feelings and then give him a hug.

Last edited:
One of my faves is the Bersa Thunder 380. Depends on your caliber tolerance. For me, progression of today's self defense ammunition makes the performance of the 380ACP acceptable risk. It carries discreetly and I've had it on me on coast to coast bike trips. Rain, yes.... sleet and snow. Dam fine weapon

-Geaux

I was researching something similar for a friend, and came up with:
Millennium G2 9mm Polymer Grip Sub Compact
They retail at around $290 or less, so they're affordable.
Lifetime repair warranty.
It's not big, but it's not the smallest there is. However, I've found that if they're too small, they get hard to control.
Plenty of good self-defense ammo types out there, of varying power, so you can find one that suits you quite easily.

If you want a gun that's durable, simple and rarely breaks...a Glock is hard to beat. Police departments use them in huge numbers. They're quality guns...but PDS use them because the reality is a lot of cops don't proactively clean or care for the gun like they should- and a Glock rarely needs it.

A 9mm won't recoil as much as a .40.

Also...look into the newish Smith and Wesson M&P single stack 9mm. Very concealable. Low recoil. Has a safety.

It's not big, but it's not the smallest there is. However, I've found that if they're too small, they get hard to control.
Plenty of good self-defense ammo types out there, of varying power, so you can find one that suits you quite easily.

I wouldn't trust a pistol that cheap. You're creeping towards High Point territory at that price....

Hi all

With the number of shootings here in Florida, I doubt the little tae kwon do/grappling techniques will be enough to stop a shooter at thee grocery store/bus stop/or other public places I normally go to.

I need a new gun. I say new because I use to own a SW 40 cal. However, I found its recoil a little strong and it had a habit of jamming on a full clipped(I started shortening the clip by a bullet or two. Strangely, it never jammed when I had a clip of 7 bullets! Maybe there was something wrong with the gun. Anyway, I gained lots of practice on clearing the chamber from that gun)

Now I think I to rearm myself with another fire arm. I am looking for a gun that, say, would be best for a beginner. What I would I call a beginners pistol. One that is simple to clean, disassemble, load, with a weak to moderate recoil when fired, rarely jams and very very simple to master over all.

In other words, the perfect self defense conceal and carry pistol for the average citizen!

Any ideals?

How about those who oppose guns. What should I do for self defense when facing major fire power and trapped on aisle 9? Should I hide, run to the back of the store looking for an exit, or jump out, punch punch kick and pepper spray the assailant?

You better hurry up and buy one quick!
The gays by the thousands are lining up to buy guns......... by the thousands.
Funny how a mass shooting of gays suddenly turned LIB gays into people who have finally woken up.
When the muslims declare their caliphate in the US all you gays better be extremely well armed because the first group of people who they plan to wipe off the earth is the gays........then the Jews.......then the negroes......then the Christians........then the asians..........then the eskimos.........then the, well you all get the picture.

I was considering putting up to $800 dollars for a really good pistol. I know I can get a decent gun for around $300(I bought the SW 40 for that much) but I realized I demanding a lot for my next pistol.

I wouldn't trust a pistol that cheap. You're creeping towards High Point territory at that price....
I've had a few Tarus (Taurii?) over the years, and never had an issue with any of them. To me, they seemed to be solid, affordable weapons.
The only one I had any issues with was a PT22, and that was because it was too small for me.

A smith and Wesson bodyguard 1inch barrel .38 served me well for years. I owned businesses including a laundromat and collected late at night or early in the morning. Fits nicely in pocket and no hammer to snag on material, and it's double action. Probably enough firepower most people will ever need and nobody will know you're carrying. A course in gun use and safety like NRA has recommended for those with no firearm experience. Even cops have been known to shoot themselves in situations. It happened to a high school friend of mine that became a cop.

When it all comes down to it accuracy is more important than caliber try a number of weapons and pick the one you are most comfortable shooting then practice

I was considering putting up to $800 dollars for a really good pistol. I know I can get a decent gun for around $300(I bought the SW 40 for that much) but I realized I demanding a lot for my next pistol.
If that's your price range, you have a lot of options.
If I had that kind of budget, I'd go for:
P30SK - Heckler & Koch
They run about $700.
By the way, I've never been a big fan of Glocks. I've shot both a 9mm and .45 version, and neither impressed me much. I think that the grip angle is what made them a chore for me to shoot well - same problem I had with the S&W 59xx series.

I'd go with one of the guns that only you can fire, that way should suicide be considered it would be on your terms, otherwise good luck.

An armed society is not only an afraid and uncivilized society it is a stupid one too. And this happens every day it seems.

"Woman adjusting bra holster fatally shoots herself in the eye"

Woman adjusting bra holster fatally shoots herself in the eye

Google

People do stupid things all the time without guns too that are just as deadly so what's your point?

That people do stupid things?

Hi all

Any ideals?

I would recommend a 9 mm Glock. They're relatively cheap and almost indestructible. If you want to spend a little more money you can get a barretta. They used to be the standard military side arm.

I'd go with one of the guns that only you can fire, that way should suicide be considered it would be on your terms, otherwise good luck.

An armed society is not only an afraid and uncivilized society it is a stupid one too. And this happens every day it seems.

Google

People do stupid things all the time without guns too that are just as deadly so what's your point?

The reason gas cans have become almost unusable is all the numskulls who thought it was smart to pour gasoline directly on a camp fire. As a result government regulations have caused manufacturers to add all manner of "safety" devices that make them virtually unusable.

For personal carry and self defense. More often than not - if a gun is needed at all - simply brandishing the gun will be enough to deter most aggressors.

If you get into a situation where you might actually need to fire the weapon? Statistically, the distance between you and the aggressor will be no more than 20 feet.

So, most people who carry a sidearm are carrying much more gun than they typically would need for personal protection.

For these reasons above and more, I recommend something like this.

Google

The reason gas cans have become almost unusable is all the numskulls who thought it was smart to pour gasoline directly on a camp fire. As a result government regulations have caused manufacturers to add all manner of "safety" devices that make them virtually unusable.

In my experience with codes and regulations of all kinds is that well over 98% of them are because people are stupid

IMO we should let stupid people do stupid things thereby making the human race smarter by attrition

Forum List

Back