"I can't trust the aguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist"

As opposed to the probability of it ever happening. Not even in 100 million years. I'm an engineer and as such I believe mathematics and science go hand-in-hand. The probability of a single cell evolving even into two cells is totally improbable mathematically.
Want to speak to probabilities?
An appeal to authority that makes you out to be an even bigger douche than thought possible?

A group at the University of Arizona has published a study of of one group the these amazing organisms, the volvocine green algae. What's amazing about this group of algae is that you can find a range of multicellular sophistication in closely relate algae species. There are species that form simple sets of four identical cells stuck together, other that form balls of 32-64 not quite identical cells with some specialized functions, up to full-blown multicellular organisms with 50,000 highly specialized cells, including reproductive germ cells. The evolution of multicellularity is not an irrecoverable event from an unimaginably distant past; it is something we can observe, manipulate, and test in the lab today.

How Single-Cell Organisms Evolve Into Multicellular Ones
By Michael White | February 20th 2009 03:15 PM
"I'm an engineer.." of two centuries ago?

No, actually I'm still very engaged in the field. I actually design and build state-of-the-art test and proving facilities that work. What do you do?

As opposed to the probability of it ever happening. Not even in 100 million years. I'm an engineer and as such I believe mathematics and science go hand-in-hand. The probability of a single cell evolving even into two cells is totally improbable mathematically.
An appeal to authority that makes you out to be an even bigger douche than thought possible?

A group at the University of Arizona has published a study of of one group the these amazing organisms, the volvocine green algae. What's amazing about this group of algae is that you can find a range of multicellular sophistication in closely relate algae species. There are species that form simple sets of four identical cells stuck together, other that form balls of 32-64 not quite identical cells with some specialized functions, up to full-blown multicellular organisms with 50,000 highly specialized cells, including reproductive germ cells. The evolution of multicellularity is not an irrecoverable event from an unimaginably distant past; it is something we can observe, manipulate, and test in the lab today.

Why not simply observe the growth of a child? They say the algae appeared millions of years ago. Appeared from where?

Understanding Mythology: Jeffrey Mishlove Interviews Joseph Campbell

MISHLOVE: Scientific context.

CAMPBELL: The context that science is out of. For instance, the theme that constantly occurs to me -- in the Roman Catholic religion it is dogma to believe that Jesus rose from the dead and ascended bodily to heaven, and that his mother, Mary, in sleep ascended to heaven. OK?

MISHLOVE: I've seen it in television shows. They show him rising up.

CAMPBELL: And you know that going at the speed of light they would not be out of the galaxy yet. And you know what it means for a physical body to go up into the stratosphere.

MISHLOVE: So it's a great mistake --

CAMPBELL: The image, the mythic image, does not fit the contemporary mind. So the message can't get into the contemporary body. You've got to translate these things into contemporary life and experience. Mythology is a validation of experience, giving it its spiritual or psychological dimension. And if you have a lot of things that you can't correlate with contemporary nature, you can't handle it.

The Roman Catholics don't believe the Bible? Christ was raised a Spirit. He is a Spirit. I find that hard to believe that they don't know that, but then I'm not a Roman Catholic.

Some of you better go study Roger Bacon's role in developing science.

Be an atheist if you want: it's OK. And it's equally OK for people to tell you "I disagree with you."

The problem is some butts on both sides simply can't live and let live.
Sounds like a very interesting man. Seems to have respected and studied all the greats Tyson and Sagan talked about in the Cosmos.

I suspect based on the little I just read on the man, he had a problem with religions too.

He also argued for the education of theologians in science ("natural philosophy") and its addition to the medieval curriculum.

Roger Bacon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Not believing in these things does not prove they don't exist; unicorns, the spaghetti monster, Martians, Zeus, the Kraken...

Excellent: "not believing . . . does not prove they don't exist" is exactly correct.

And believing that things don't exist is not conclusive either.

Yes, evidence is necessary, and neither the empirical data nor the faith of the atheist prove that God does not exist.
That's why being agnostic is the only logical position to have.

Most people don't even know what it means. Do you?
No, please do tell. :popcorn:

I appreciate, and respect, your candor. Admitting ignorance is the best way to learn.

Agnosticism is a perspective on the knowability of the existence of deities. It's completely disconnected from belief. You can be an agnostic who believes in a god (theist agnostic), or a gnostic who believes in a god (theist gnostic). Or either of those who lacks such a belief (atheist agnostic or atheist gnostic). The agnostic vs gnostic distinction only distinguishes your view on whether belief in god is the same as knowledge of the existence of gods.
According to the philosopher William L. Rowe: "In the popular sense of the term, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of God, while a theist believes that God exists, an atheist disbelieves in God".

Right. That's what I'm taking about. The popular conception of many important philosophical terms is often incoherent or contradictory. No point in getting bogged down in nonsense.

No, actually I'm still very engaged in the field. I actually design and build state-of-the-art test and proving facilities that work. What do you do?
follow liars like you around the web

how do you possibly find the time to do what you claim, when you spend so much time here and other places online?

Why not simply observe the growth of a child? They say the algae appeared millions of years ago. Appeared from where?
stick to lying. you're no science geek

how do you possibly find the time to do what you claim, when you spend so much time here and other places online?

Simple. My children are now running my company. I am completing one final project and will totally retire in March 2016.

Simple. My children are now running my company. I am completing one final project and will totally retire in March 2016.
So, you are not really currently busy designing and building state-of-the-art test and proving facilities that work? Okay. That's fair

stick to lying. you're no science geek

Never claimed I was. I use it though. I'm mostly into electrical and electronic instrumentation and process control.

So, you are not really currently busy designing and building state-of-the-art test and proving facilities that work? Okay. That's fair

No. I'm currently completing the construction of the last one of five jet engine test facilities under contract for the Navy.

No. I'm currently completing the construction of the last one of five jet engine test facilities under contract for the Navy.
if true, why you're hanging around here is a puzzle.

I suspect if your claims are true it is people working for you who are doing the work while you hang around here and shirk

It doesn't affect me but it does bother me, if only for your own sake
:cool:

Why?
Because i care about your immortal soul

Horty, you would not give a dang if I got hit by a bus tomorrow. You don't care about me in any way, form or fashion. AND THAT'S OK. I don't expect you to. You don't know me and this is an online forum. Caring about my immortal soul appears to be a very passive, very abstract, very impersonal, noncommittal future orientated (non)action.

My interpretation of what you are saying is that you want to make sure that I have some type of punishment or to be held accountable for whatever I may have done in my past or am currently doing. As if I am one step away from a Charles Manson episode with nothing to keep me in check.

Atheists have relationships that we are responsible to and for. Just like you.
Your ignorance manifest itself in your arrogance. How can you possibly state at how he feels? I suspect you just don't want some one, for your personal reasons, to care for your immortal soul.

Arrogance would have been assuming and expecting that he gave a damn.

Caring for someones immortal soul is called the least that one can do and requires no effort including the caring. Giving a damn in the here and now requires effort. It's unfortunate that you find this truth disagreeable.
:lol: Too bad your arrogance demonstrates your ignorance about what someone else believes. But such is your right.

Because i care about your immortal soul

Horty, you would not give a dang if I got hit by a bus tomorrow. You don't care about me in any way, form or fashion. AND THAT'S OK. I don't expect you to. You don't know me and this is an online forum. Caring about my immortal soul appears to be a very passive, very abstract, very impersonal, noncommittal future orientated (non)action.

My interpretation of what you are saying is that you want to make sure that I have some type of punishment or to be held accountable for whatever I may have done in my past or am currently doing. As if I am one step away from a Charles Manson episode with nothing to keep me in check.

Atheists have relationships that we are responsible to and for. Just like you.
Your ignorance manifest itself in your arrogance. How can you possibly state at how he feels? I suspect you just don't want some one, for your personal reasons, to care for your immortal soul.

Arrogance would have been assuming and expecting that he gave a damn.

Caring for someones immortal soul is called the least that one can do and requires no effort including the caring. Giving a damn in the here and now requires effort. It's unfortunate that you find this truth disagreeable.
:lol: Too bad your arrogance demonstrates your ignorance about what someone else believes. But such is your right.

So, what I hear you saying is this is a little too deep for you. Had I known that you were this shallow then I would not have wasted my time.

Anti-Godism is militant atheism that believes it has a need to heal religionists. :lol:

Forum List

Back