I cut the cord this past week.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
For the first time in my life I am not a cable/satellite subscriber.

Today was the first time I really noticed. No Fox News Sunday or Meet the Depressed on the DVR. Felt weird not waking up on Sunday and watching 2 hours of complete bullshit in my robe.

Did the same...but all you need is a good antenna and you can get those shitty propagandist TV networks for free...which is about what they are worth.

Did the same...but all you need is a good antenna and you can get those shitty propagandist TV networks for free...which is about what they are worth.
I bought a 29 dollar rca antenna. Bout shit myself when it tuned in nearly 30 channels lol.

I bought a 29 dollar rca antenna. Bout shit myself when it tuned in nearly 30 channels lol.
In my area about half of the stations I can get with my home made antenna are Spanish language.

we get nothing ....have roku....netflix and hbo.....have amazon prime and it sucks....hulu is starting to suck......

Anyone try Kodi? I am told it offers everything for free, but downloading it and running it is difficult. You need to be a computer tech.

Anyone try Kodi? I am told it offers everything for free, but downloading it and running it is difficult. You need to be a computer tech.
Yes, I am. I used Kodi on a Android box but built a htpc and run OpenElec on it. MUCH better! But Kodi is available for pretty much any OS as far as I know. It's a media player and not really difficult to install but it's just providing internet connections. what's free and what isn't up to the developers.

I cut the cord a few years ago, all I subscribe to is Amazon Prime for shipping. The video used to be pretty good but sucks so bad now it isn't worth free. I have a Roku as well and there are a lot of decent freebees. Youtube probably the top one.

Ruko and sling tv is where we started

now we get several other free channels

4 tvs 40 bucks a month including hbo and several other movie channels

No Kodi and the addons needed can be installed in just a few minutes. I programmed my own Amazon Firestick to use it, but ended up buying an Andriod Qbox for $35 with it on it. Live tv can be kind of a crap shoot at times, but watching tv shows, movies, and live sporting events for free is a breeze. You just need a good WiFi internet connection. Just go to Amazon and look for a Qbox.

No Kodi and the addons needed can be installed in just a few minutes. I programmed my own Amazon Firestick to use it, but ended up buying an Andriod Qbox for $35 with it on it. Live tv can be kind of a crap shoot at times, but watching tv shows, movies, and live sporting events for free is a breeze. You just need a good WiFi internet connection. Just go to Amazon and look for a Qbox.
...and be aware that the addons are not legal.

And be aware that Kodi doesn't advertise the addons as being part of their program, though it depends what you do with the addons on whether you are doing something illegal. Streaming in the U.S. is NOT illegal. Not enough of the copyrighted material is stored on your box at any given time for it to be considered downloading. The people that are breaking the laws are those that are uploading the copyrighted material to be streamed. I've researched my shit, you should too. ;)

And be aware that Kodi doesn't advertise the addons as being part of their program, though it depends what you do with the addons on whether you are doing something illegal. Streaming in the U.S. is NOT illegal. Not enough of the copyrighted material is stored on your box at any given time for it to be considered downloading. The people that are breaking the laws are those that are uploading the copyrighted material to be streamed. I've researched my shit, you should too. ;)
Oh I have and your smug attitude is par for the course. You're a criminal justice student giving out bad legal advice.

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi | Kodi
Every day a new user shows up on the Kodi forum, totally unaware that the free movies they’re watching have been pirated and surprised to discover that Kodi itself isn’t providing those movies.

Q box Android TV box. Offical supplier of the Q box Android TV box
Kodi Media center in mind. Our fully customised Kodi setup is second to none.

With hundreds of free streaming add-ons available for Kodi, you can cancel your satellite or cable service and enjoy streaming your favourite shows, live TV channels, live sports and movies from all over the world!

Oh I have and your smug attitude is par for the course. You're a criminal justice student giving out bad legal advice.

Every day a new user shows up on the Kodi forum, totally unaware that the free movies they’re watching have been pirated and surprised to discover that Kodi itself isn’t providing those movies.

With hundreds of free streaming add-ons available for Kodi, you can cancel your satellite or cable service and enjoy streaming your favourite shows, live TV channels, live sports and movies from all over the world!

Your links prove nothing...did you even read my post?

From an actual Law site saying EXACTLY what I just posted...

"Is watching streaming movies illegal?

There is currently no definitive answer to this question. Depending on the site and file type, online streaming may create a full-length temporary copy of the movie on your computer. Alternatively, the program may delete the data as you watch.

Some courts have held that even temporary copies may violate the law. However, the Copyright Office contends there is no violation when "a reproduction manifests itself so fleetingly that it cannot be copied, perceived or communicated.""

Is Streaming or Watching Movies Illegal?

When you stream on Kodi it DOES NOT download the whole file, unless you click on the download button. If you simply stream then you are fine.

Seriously, do you not ever get tired of being proven wrong?

There is currently no definitive answer to this question. Depending on the site and file type, online streaming may create a full-length temporary copy of the movie on your computer. Alternatively, the program may delete the data as you watch.

Some courts have held that even temporary copies may violate the law. However, the Copyright Office contends there is no violation when "a reproduction manifests itself so fleetingly that it cannot be copied, perceived or communicated.""

When you stream on Kodi it DOES NOT download the whole file, unless you click on the download button. If you simply stream then you are fine.

You can't read, period. The Kodi team calls them pirate boxes for a reason. You can't understand what that means? Your position is you can purchase a piracy box and legally watch any copyrighted material you want. And you're a criminal justice student? LOL

Are you so cheap you can't afford to pay for someone else's intellectual property?

You are not trying to cut the cord, you are trying to find a way not to strangle yourself with it.

Are you so cheap you can't afford to pay for someone else's intellectual property?

You are not trying to cut the cord, you are trying to find a way not to strangle yourself with it.
I know you are right, but I can't help but think fucking Hollywood is a good thing.

You can't read, period. The Kodi team calls them pirate boxes for a reason. You can't understand what that means? Your position is you can purchase a piracy box and legally watch any copyrighted material you want. And you're a criminal justice student? LOL

You don't understand one fucking bit. They sell the boxes world wide. Laws are different in every country. I just showed you the laws for the U.S. The programmers of Kodi put that they do not endorse or support the addons created for Kodi as a disclaimer so that someone doesn't create one that does something illegal and they can get sued for it. I explained things VERY clearly for you and you still don't understand... no surprise there.

BTW Kodi started as a file compilation program for the XBox but has since been created to work on other types of OS, and if you want more info you can visit Unofficial Kodi Addons for the Kodi Media Center | TV ADDONS . There is a forum there... which I'm a member. Bet you can't guess what my screen name is. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back