I Don't Know WHERE to Post This!

Why is he on the phone most of the day to the op?
Wouldn't he be on the phone to cops, banks, credit card companies, you know people who can fix this shit ?

I'm thinking its a lefty liar looking for attention.
Somehow looking for an angle to blame Bush , the tea party or the 1%!!

Would your lawyer pal be one of the "rich"?

You should be happy then!!
Redistribution of wealth right there!!

Identity theft is a serious crime and very difficult to recover from. I don't see any reason he would lie about this, as there is no political ramifications I can see.

I do think that his friend being an attorney would have greater latitude in recovering than the average guy would, though.

The strange part of what happened is that his investments suddenly don't show they exist. I would think his own records would be able to prove they were there.

It is rather odd, though, unless he usually bought throughout the world at any given time, that his credit card companies and banks did not contact him, before authorizing such suspicious activity on his accounts.

It is rather odd, though, unless he usually bought throughout the world at any given time, that his credit card companies and banks did not contact him, before authorizing such suspicious activity on his accounts.

This is what you must understand: An online account is hacked and wiped out in seconds. He did start receiving phone calls from the fraud depts of his banks and creditors that morning. He logged on to his accounts and saw zeroes and red numbers. His ETFs were zeroed but they didn't even exist anymore. He contacted the FBI and they told him they get a hundred calls a day like his.

I just got an email from a friend of mine who told me this after I wrote her about it:

"""I was in the Fort Lauderdale Airport about to board a plane for the north when someone came through with a scanner and stole all our credit card info, knowing we'd be in the air for several hours! It was a large theft ring, buying athletic shoes in Texas and so on. fortunately, got it straightened out, but I did buy one of those little aluminum "wallets" to keep credit cards and my driver's license (which has a magnetized strip on the back) in. One big target of such theft is military ID's!"""

Banks have serious security problems online, but they don't want you to know it because it saves them billions every year in payroll and employees.

Did he sign up for Obamacare before this happened?

No, he doesn't have to carry insurance, he can afford to pay for his health care by check.

nobody can. don't BS

Excuse me? You seriously think that people with millions carry health insurance? For what? The pleasure of finding out if their policy covers a problem, then fighting with the insurance company to pay for it when they won't?

If it's the only money he's left with, I'd say he was pretty smart to put some money in his basement. Otherwise, he would have nada, if the story is to be believed.I think it's just an email hoax, myself.

Why don't you just go read this below and then STFU. Are hackers going to bother with peon accounts like yours? No. It's just as easy to hack a site with $100K than your $300 online checking. Which would YOU rather bother with?

ID theft on the rise again: 12.6 million victims in 2012, study shows
Bob Sullivan, Columnist, NBC News
Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM ET

ID theft on the rise again: 12.6 million victims in 2012, study shows - NBC News.com

People have no clue if there ID is compromised or not unless they have something that protects them. Most people have no clue as to the time and work needed to deal with this once it happens. The newest thing I heard is taking a bit of information from several people and creating a new person. Scary stuff when you consider your information is freely available.

I've been on the phone most of the day with a very close friend who woke up this morning to find out that the only money he had was a couple of thousand dollars he kept in his basement. Overnight his identity was stolen.

This morning the phone began to ring with calls from his banks and credit card companies telling him of suspicious activities. He logged on to accounts online and saw either red or zero.

This is what he wrote in his email to me:

“””The bad news keeps going from bad to worse. I’m heading to the bank in a few moments to file a dispute. There’s no guarantee. Insurance like FDIC is to protect your account if the bank fails. Fraud is a little trickier. All the bank accounts were drained and the overdraft protection exhausted.

Every other account where I had money or investments is just zeroed out. The money wasn’t used to buy anything. The assets weren’t sold. It’s like it never existed. I’ve already spoken to the FBI and the SEC. They indicated the prognosis isn’t good when this happens. From what I can determine so far, my credit lines have also been maxed out into the 6-figures. So far I don’t see any silver lining. I fear this nightmare is just beginning.””””

This person is not a careless, clueless low-info idiot. On the contrary, he's an Ivy League educated lawyer with a lot of money, so therefore the perfect target.

The best we can assess at this early stage is his SS number and other identifiers were sold on a black website. The buyers quickly pay a fee, probably through PayPal, and then hit his accounts with all kinds of front merchant accounts from overseas. He lost over $100K in cash in just minutes. Charges from Colombia to Vermont, from Belgium to Hawaii are logged on reams of print outs.

I have no idea how to protect myself from this, but I just wanted to post this and alert others. Contact your bank and ask them how they handle such situations and see if they have restitution after establishing fraud. Do something. This is rampant. 12,000,000 identity thefts alone in 2011.

Banks and credit card companies carry fraud insurance for stuff like this. Your friend will get his money back. The louder he complains, the faster they will fix it.

He said the bank told him he holds the record for filing individual disputes for what is hundreds of fraudulent debits. You would think that their system would do a automatic shutdown when a flurry of debits hits an account from places 3000 miles apart. It is unbelievable.

But last year I had a charge to my online account from a cabinet maker in Ohio. I called him and he told me someone from overseas had hacked his Visa/MC merchant account and was billing people all over the country. I contacted my bank and they corrected it, but this guy was screwed for weeks.

This story don't pass the sniff test!!
The essence of bovine manure assaults the olfactory glands with an almost violent intensity.

The bell of honesty can not hear the ring of truth!!

I have no idea how to protect myself from this, but I just wanted to post this and alert others. Contact your bank and ask them how they handle such situations and see if they have restitution after establishing fraud. Do something. This is rampant. 12,000,000 identity thefts alone in 2011.
[/B]

Here's a clue on how to protect yourself from Identify Theft: Don't Sign Up For ObamaCare.

I've been on the phone most of the day with a very close friend who woke up this morning to find out that the only money he had was a couple of thousand dollars he kept in his basement. Overnight his identity was stolen.

This morning the phone began to ring with calls from his banks and credit card companies telling him of suspicious activities. He logged on to accounts online and saw either red or zero.

This is what he wrote in his email to me:

“””The bad news keeps going from bad to worse. I’m heading to the bank in a few moments to file a dispute. There’s no guarantee. Insurance like FDIC is to protect your account if the bank fails. Fraud is a little trickier. All the bank accounts were drained and the overdraft protection exhausted.

Every other account where I had money or investments is just zeroed out. The money wasn’t used to buy anything. The assets weren’t sold. It’s like it never existed. I’ve already spoken to the FBI and the SEC. They indicated the prognosis isn’t good when this happens. From what I can determine so far, my credit lines have also been maxed out into the 6-figures. So far I don’t see any silver lining. I fear this nightmare is just beginning.””””

This person is not a careless, clueless low-info idiot. On the contrary, he's an Ivy League educated lawyer with a lot of money, so therefore the perfect target.

The best we can assess at this early stage is his SS number and other identifiers were sold on a black website. The buyers quickly pay a fee, probably through PayPal, and then hit his accounts with all kinds of front merchant accounts from overseas. He lost over $100K in cash in just minutes. Charges from Colombia to Vermont, from Belgium to Hawaii are logged on reams of print outs.

No idea where to post this, eh? How about you post it in the 'nobody gives a damn' section? Oh wait, there isn't one. Yet.

If you worked for a living or had anything to lose, you would care. Since you don't, why don't you head back out to the playground and let the adults talk.

12,000,000 identity thefts alone in 2011.

Is that US only? cuz, that's a lot.

We pay everything on line buy and sell on line and -

guess its time to change all our passwords again.

[/B]

Here's a clue on how to protect yourself from Identify Theft: Don't Sign Up For ObamaCare.

Saying really stooopid crap really doesn't help as much as you might imagine.

Forum List

Back