Zone1 I forgave at the office...

notmyfault2020

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2022
I had an interesting experience once. I thought I had forgiven people from my past and I was "good with the Lord" on the forgiveness thing. I kind of had a "hey, I forgave at the office" kind of attitude whenever the nagging thought came to me that maybe, just maybe, my forgiveness wasn't too complete, much less perfect ("Be perfect as your Father in Heaven is perfect.. Mt 5:48)

So I had to "re-forgive"

And I think the best way to forgive or re-forgive is to speak the Words Christ Himself spoke while dying on the Cross:

Father, forgive them, they know not what they do

After all, none of us knows what we are doing, do we?

As an atheist, I've done wrong.

But I don't claim to be able to erase my mistakes by appealing to a god for forgiveness.

That would allow me to not stand responsible and that is a flaw of religions.

Which is why the Christian faith teaches us that we all have sinned and fallen short which is why we need forgiveness and why we need to forgive so that we can be forgiven.

The best of us will sometimes have unholy thoughts, most of us at times will do bad acts from the most minor--not picking up the paper towel we dropped in the public restroom--to those much more significant. Because we have free will, we sometimes aren't tuned into free advice from the Holy Spirit and commit sins of omission or not realize the bad consequences of what we do, i.e. the sins of the father shall be visited upon the sons even unto the third and fourth generations. Interpretation: For sins we do now, future generations will suffer the consequences.

Having said that, what is forgiveness? Is it forgetting the pain or wrong another gave us? No. Only fools allow others to hurt or abuse us again and again with impunity.

IMO, forgiveness is accepting another's apology with grace and charity. It is not imposing consequences on the actions of another. When the judge forgave my traffic violation and did not impose a fine, that was forgiveness. It doesn't mean he won't remember and collect that fine the next time.

• Banned

But I don't claim to be able to erase my mistakes by appealing to a god for forgiveness.

too bad you have never experienced Christ's gratuitous love.. the only kind mankind needs

Which is why the Christian faith teaches us that we all have sinned and fallen short which is why we need forgiveness and why we need to forgive so that we can be forgiven.
All the churches are in the business of selling forgiveness. The price doesn't even need to hurt the sinner as long as it benefits the priest's needs.

Exodus 22:29

• Banned
Having said that, what is forgiveness? Is it forgetting the pain or wrong another gave us? No. Only fools allow others to hurt or abuse us again and again with impunity.
Excellent point... I should have made that point myself.. Some people think that if you have forgiven them, you should put up with their abuse and forever...

NOT

Last edited:

That's why I'm agnostic and remain unaffiliated after a "WTF" Baptist upbringing.....My church had more spin-offs than the NCIS franchise as they got pissed at each other for not being "Godly" enough.

One "sect" can claim "forgiveness" if you do it their way while another claims you are going to Hell.

Maybe it's a path of least resistance thing....Say two hail marys and call me in the mornin'. ;)

That's why I'm agnostic and remain unaffiliated after a "WTF" Baptist upbringing.....My church had more spin-offs than the NCIS franchise as they got pissed at each other for not being "Godly" enough.

One "sect" can claim "forgiveness" if you do it their way while another claims you are going to Hell.

Maybe it's a path of least resistance thing....Say two hail marys and call me in the mornin'. ;)
I've experienced unconditional love/ forgiveness.. it is REAL

All the churches are in the business of selling forgiveness. The price doesn't even need to hurt the sinner as long as it benefits the priest's needs.

Exodus 22:29
IMO this has nothing whatsoever to do with any church denomination or congregation. It has everything to do with a personal relationship with a higher power.

I've experienced unconditional love/ forgiveness.. it is REAL
The church that demands the least amount of pain and suffering will always be the most popular. Just write a cheque and you're good to go.
Or with sects, just fulfill the needs of the priest, in my opinion.

IMO this has nothing whatsoever to do with any church denomination or congregation. It has everything to do with a personal relationship with a higher power.
The higher power needs to be addressed through the priest. It's the exception to direct praying.

In truth, if all anyone had to go on was the behavior of some denominations or congregations, Christianity would be so unacceptable, all intelligent people would be running for the exits. The Church (of whatever denomination or unaffiliated congregation) is made up of sinners and therefore will be imperfect as each of us is imperfect. Some seemingly much more than others.

But, while I don't want to put words in the mouth of the OP, I think the point was that he (she?) struggles as we all do with our negative thoughts and reactions to others to the point it is problematic for us and we do need to forgive and ask forgiveness again and again. Not for the sake of the other person but for our own sake.

The higher power needs to be addressed through the priest. It's the exception to direct praying.
My faith is one of a priesthood of all believers. I believe every person is blessed with opportunity to have a personal relationship with the higher power.

To this I will add that God has our best interests at heart. His Commandments have our ideal life in mind. Forgiveness keeps one from holding a grudge which prevents that inward burning sensation an irritation. I think of it as a hug from God as He murmurs, "Let it go..."

Of course, we do learn from any situation. If a family member steals from one's wallet, make sure that wallet is out of reach every time s/he is around. I once had a boss that I had a hard time forgiving the first time. That being the case, I found another job. God/Scripture never advised us to put ourselves into, or stay in, a situation where we feel compelled to forgive everyone who continually trespasses against us.

My faith is one of a priesthood of all believers. I believe every person is blessed with opportunity to have a personal relationship with the higher power.
Yes. While I cannot speak for all Christian denominations, in Catholic and Orthodox churches baptism makes all priest, prophet, king.

Forum List

Back