I have a math question

You know the law that you have to figure out division, times then plus or minus?

Example

4(r*6)-8 (8*r)

R being 6

What if space alliens use plus and minus first, and we get a signal and did the math wrong?

After all they say math is the universal language.
The space aliens calcualtions are wrong their ship explodes and they do not make it here it is a non problem. Natual laws and physics is what defines mathmatical laws. The products made from this math will not work unless it is right. You do need math help, if you understood the sciences this question does not get posed. You are like my eldest son, that fuck thinks he knows evrything and takes no advice. He had a project he was working on out at my farm. I look down at his chemistry and there was a major problem working with scientific notation. Now if I had told him the issue he would not have listened so I keep my mouth shut and just ran. Took him a few seconds to get the jist but he finally elected to run also Even after seeing the consequences of this situation, that fuck still does not listen. I think he is the mail mans kid. I must say I am glad his mistakes come out his wallet these dyas.
Yeah but you do math problems like that, go right to left, minus and plus first you will get a different answer..

Who made up this stuff?
the answer you get is wrong. It is not made up. It is tested over and over again. We know the wrong answers though experimentaion. Order of operation was idscovered eons ago and then followed.. The proof is in the pudding. When your experiment goes as planed you know your calculations are right when the experiment works. My son found out his calculations were wrong when he left a fifty foot crater in the feild. You go and build a plane or a car or any product for that matter if your calcs are wrong bad shit ensues you get it right good shit ensues. As far as who made this shit up we give the greeks credit because we found thire formulas, how ever we know through archeology that the knowlege was much older because we find buildings and relics much older than the greeks in which this math was used to make the relic. They could not make the relic unless they understand the math behind them. Again this shit is not made up it is used and tested.
How could it be wrong? You add, minus, divide times and you get your answer.

BTW I researched this a few months ago, no one knows who said it was a law of nature.

They made it up
nature sais it is the law of nature. Our mathmatical formulas come from watching and describing what is seen in nature. Does putting some ones name on it and giving credit for it help you? Hey , if ya wanna give credit to some one just put evenflows name on it. That and a quarter will get you nothing. You know its right when it works. How is this hard to understand. Guess what put a name on it means nothing. There are plenty of erronious formulas out there. look at capernicas gravity formulas. They are wrong, yet recorded through out history. There you have a name does that make you feel better. It should not make you feel better if you use his formula your shit will not work. Better take a look at newtons calcs if ya want the shit you build to work. We know newton is right in his calculations becuase when we use them to design new products they work. Use capernicus and they do not work.
The reason why I brought this up was because math was the one thing I thought I could count on being precise, no bull shit made up stuff, like for example English grammar.

Math was supposed to be the universal language and it's not in this case.
well actually it is. The good news is it will not be you we elect to converse with the aliens.. If you follow the natural laws as they are we and the aliens will get the same answer just as I get the same answer the test providers get when I sit for proffesional licensing tests when I get lisenced. If you drive over one of my bridges you can feel safe that it will not fall out from under you. I guess for you simple mathmatics is a matter of faith, just not for the rest of us that actually use it.

1] everything within ( ) ... the inner nested ones first ..
2] exponents
3] multiplication/division
4] addition/subtraction
5] left to right

4(r*6)-8 (8*r), R [sic] being 6 ==> 4 x ( 6 x 6 ) - 8 x ( 8 x 6 ) = 4 x 36 - 8 x 48 = 144 - 384 = -240

I forget where differentiation/integration go ...

i made the mistake of asking hubby to do this problem.....he got this too...now he is lecturing me on math is a set of rules...now he is trying to explain the rules and equations...i am going to go take a shower

Math was supposed to be the universal language and it's not in this case.

The language of math is universal ... math is not language per se ... everyone agrees to certain "laws" and logically build on those to form grander and larger truths about our universe ...

Street Juice got it (mostly) right ... we perform the multiplication operation first because that's just a fancy-pants way to write out addition ...

4 x ( 6 x 6 ) - 8 x ( 8 x 6 ) = 4 x ( 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 ) - 8 x ( 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 ) = [ ( 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 ) + ( 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 ) + ( 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 ) + ( 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 ) ] - [ ... well, you get the idea ... ] = -240 ...

Just remember this: Accounting is the highest form of mathematical thought ... nothing's worth counting more than money ...

i made the mistake of asking hubby to do this problem.....he got this too...now he is lecturing me on math is a set of rules...now he is trying to explain the rules and equations...i am going to go take a shower

He's required to under Guy Code ... how else will you believe 38 seconds is actually two hours ...

1] everything within ( ) ... the inner nested ones first ..
2] exponents
3] multiplication/division
4] addition/subtraction
5] left to right

4(r*6)-8 (8*r), R [sic] being 6 ==> 4 x ( 6 x 6 ) - 8 x ( 8 x 6 ) = 4 x 36 - 8 x 48 = 144 - 384 = -240

I forget where differentiation/integration go ...

Lol

What if space alliens use plus and minus first, and we get a signal and did the math wrong?

After all they say math is the universal language.

The underlying realities of math are universal, and we can expect them to be the same for any sentient race.

Conventions about how we express numbers and the actions to be performed on them would not be expected to be universal, and any communication between alien races containing mathematical formulae would have to include clear instructions as to what operations are to be performs in what order on what numbers.

What you describe is no more of an issue than the fact that we humans, by convention, represent this quantity…

•••••
•••••
•••••
•••••
•••••

…with these symbols…

…while an alien race would almost certainly use different symbols, working by different rules, to represent the same quantity.

It does not change the fact that if you multiply (though the aliens would have a different word for it) this quantity ••••• by itself, you get the aforementioned quantity.

Stop it you just mad I put this thread up, and I already knew the answer, the operation's were made up out of thin air and i am so disappointed.

Stop it you just mad I put this thread up, and I already knew the answer, the operation's were made up out of thin air and i am so disappointed.

Wait until we try to explain why a zero vector and an infinitely small vector are two different things ... ha ha ha ... the mathemagical arts at their finest ...

Wait until we try to explain why a zero vector and an infinitely small vector are two different things ... ha ha ha ... the mathemagical arts at their finest ...
You bastard, lol I just had to reread about them....yeah wtf?

Forum List

Back