I Like Cruz, But

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I prefer Trump, who presents a frontal attack on the rampant political correctness that is destroying our liberties.

If neither Trump nor Cruz are nominated, I will not vote for whoever else is nominated by the GOP.

If Hillary wins, it will merely prove that we are past the tipping point.

I am the opposite... I like Cruz because I trust his conservatism. Trump makes me feel like he is pumping me full of bullshit to get elected. I've gradually changed my views over the years but no one completely flip-flops on what they believe in a matter of a few years. I just don't trust that Trump is being completely honest and he doesn't have a political voting record to judge by. People say, well he's a great businessman... so what? George Soros is a great businessman!

One thing that really soured me on Trump was what he pulled in Iowa. He came out in favor of the Ethanol subsidies. This is the most useless and wasteful government spending, corporate entitlement program we have. There is literally nothing that is a bigger waste of our tax dollars. Now.... If we are going to cave on Ethanol, where do we draw the line on wasteful government spending? How are we to cut the deficit if we're going to keep things based on special interests? That was a chance for Trump to stand up for conservative principles he claims to have and he caved because he needed the votes. Cruz stood firm, even though he was in a big Ethanol state and he WON!

The other thing that troubles me with Trump is... Should he win the nomination, he will be the most unpopular candidate to ever seek the office of president. His negatives are through the roof. Not only are his negatives high, he continues to bash and trash Cruz who's supporters he crucially needs to defeat Hillary. Trump supporters are becoming even more hostile and nasty than the anti-Bush liberals toward Cruz and his supporters. It's like they don't comprehend they will need those people to come out and vote on election day. It is just a totally asinine strategy and it continues to intensify as the days tick off. There is absolutely NO effort being made to mend fences or bring the party together.

I'm reasonably certain the party is going to hand it over to Kasich and it's why he's still in it.

I don't think so... maybe if Kasich were doing better and had more delegates... I think they hoped he would gain momentum but it's not happening. If the party elite try and shove Kasich in front of both Trump and Cruz, there will be a third party and maybe a fourth. The GOP will cease to be a viable political party. I really don't think they are dumb enough to go down that road but I could be wrong.

The more likely scenario will be a brokered convention where the Establishment gets behind Cruz in order to stop Trump... not because they like Cruz but he is the only shot they've got left. It's still going to be a risky proposition because the Trump supporters seem to be a little green on how this process works. I keep hearing them say... well, if Trump has the most delegates it should be him... but that's not the requirement for nomination. That doesn't mean Trump won't win, he could still pick up enough of the uncommitted delegates to get the needed majority before Cruz. He probably won't need as many as Cruz. But it's probably going to a second or third ballot. There have been rare occasions it has gone as high as the 7th ballot. The top candidates just continue wrangling delegates until someone has the majority.

I'm reasonably certain the party is going to hand it over to Kasich and it's why he's still in it.

I don't think so... maybe if Kasich were doing better and had more delegates... I think they hoped he would gain momentum but it's not happening. If the party elite try and shove Kasich in front of both Trump and Cruz, there will be a third party and maybe a fourth. The GOP will cease to be a viable political party. I really don't think they are dumb enough to go down that road but I could be wrong.

The more likely scenario will be a brokered convention where the Establishment gets behind Cruz in order to stop Trump... not because they like Cruz but he is the only shot they've got left. It's still going to be a risky proposition because the Trump supporters seem to be a little green on how this process works. I keep hearing them say... well, if Trump has the most delegates it should be him... but that's not the requirement for nomination. That doesn't mean Trump won't win, he could still pick up enough of the uncommitted delegates to get the needed majority before Cruz. He probably won't need as many as Cruz. But it's probably going to a second or third ballot. There have been rare occasions it has gone as high as the 7th ballot. The top candidates just continue wrangling delegates until someone has the majority.
I'm not the spokesperson for Trump supporters but if someone thinks the guy with the most votes should be the winner I wouldn't call it green or ignorance. It's an honest opinion.

The delegates are only obligated for the first vote, they can vote for anyone next go round. If the establishment is going to make the decision they will likely do what's best for them and count on an anybody but Hillary coalescing for support. They may be wrong or right but I'm not putting my money on anything.

I prefer Trump, who presents a frontal attack on the rampant political correctness that is destroying our liberties.

If neither Trump nor Cruz are nominated, I will not vote for whoever else is nominated by the GOP.

No, if Clinton wins it’s because a majority of Americans reject the bigotry advocated by both candidates, correctly recognize that neither are fit to be president, and disapprove of the GOP’s politics of fear and division.

The other thing that troubles me with Trump is... Should he win the nomination, he will be the most unpopular candidate to ever seek the office of president. His negatives are through the roof. Not only are his negatives high, he continues to bash and trash Cruz who's supporters he crucially needs to defeat Hillary. Trump supporters are becoming even more hostile and nasty than the anti-Bush liberals toward Cruz and his supporters. It's like they don't comprehend they will need those people to come out and vote on election day. It is just a totally asinine strategy and it continues to intensify as the days tick off. There is absolutely NO effort being made to mend fences or bring the party together.

So it's OK to trash Trump but not OK to trash his opponents? Hmm...

You don't listen. You don't comprehend. Alienate everyone else and your candidate cannot be elected is the point.

I'm sorry, but I still think Trump started his campaign on a lark, or as part of some reality TV show, and he inadvertently tapped into some real angst among people when it comes to our political system and our current crop of politicians. I doubt anyone saw this coming a year ago.

Cruz has his flaws, but he is far better than Trump.

Cruz is a true totalitarian religionist and conservative, thus he is very dangerous.

Trump politically is naive and a bumbler, thus he is dangerous, too.

No, it's not okay, and for any Cruz supporters who are bashing on Trump and Trump supporters, I would have the same message. I can't speak for anyone but myself... I've defended Trump repeatedly, I have said that I will vote for Trump if he wins the nomination. Heck, I even hoped they would team up on the ticket! But this "Lyin' Ted" campaign and the wife stuff... and the sex scandal stuff... and the constant belittling and denigrating and insulting and smearing... it's wearing me thin. I don't like the Saul Alinsky left-wing tactics being used against a good man and solid conservative... I don't like being called a stupid idiot because I support Cruz... It makes this "stupid idiot" want to stay home on election day and let the "smart fellas" try to defeat the Hildabeast on their own. Capiche?

No, it's not okay, and for any Cruz supporters who are bashing on Trump and Trump supporters, I would have the same message. I can't speak for anyone but myself... I've defended Trump repeatedly, I have said that I will vote for Trump if he wins the nomination. Heck, I even hoped they would team up on the ticket! But this "Lyin' Ted" campaign and the wife stuff... and the sex scandal stuff... and the constant belittling and denigrating and insulting and smearing... it's wearing me thin. I don't like the Saul Alinsky left-wing tactics being used against a good man and solid conservative... I don't like being called a stupid idiot because I support Cruz... It makes this "stupid idiot" want to stay home on election day and let the "smart fellas" try to defeat the Hildabeast on their own. Capiche?

I do not consider Cruz supporters to be "stupid idiots." I just think that Trump would be more effective in attacking Hillary and the political correctness she represents. Most Trump supporters would vote for Cruz, but not vice versa. Where is the "unity" in that?

I do not consider Cruz supporters to be "stupid idiots." I just think that Trump would be more effective in attacking Hillary and the political correctness she represents. Most Trump supporters would vote for Cruz, but not vice versa. Where is the "unity" in that?

I don't think you're right about that. I think it's the other way around.

And I am also not so sure Trump can defeat Hillary if he can't do better than he did the other day with the softball question on abortion. He let an absolute goofy moron liberal nail him with a standard boilerplate question on abortion and he came across as someone who wasn't prepared to answer.... How can you be this far into a presidential campaign and not have a well-reasoned answer on abortion? Standing up there blowing his own horn about how great he is and how great he's going to be as president, isn't going to defeat the Democrats. Especially if you've totally alienated everyone else in the Republican party with your constant insults and smears.

Mathews is liberal but not moronic. Many of the other liberals will carve Donald like turkey dinner if he does not straighten up his game. I solid centrist who has been defending Trump like crazy said last night that he can't trust Trump, based on his performance in public the last two weeks, to have his finger on the button. My friend's right.

I don't think you're right about that. I think it's the other way around.

And I am also not so sure Trump can defeat Hillary if he can't do better than he did the other day with the softball question on abortion. He let an absolute goofy moron liberal nail him with a standard boilerplate question on abortion and he came across as someone who wasn't prepared to answer.... How can you be this far into a presidential campaign and not have a well-reasoned answer on abortion? Standing up there blowing his own horn about how great he is and how great he's going to be as president, isn't going to defeat the Democrats. Especially if you've totally alienated everyone else in the Republican party with your constant insults and smears.

The problems with Cruz are that his legal arguments don't resonate with the average voter and that he will be labeled as a "right-wing extremist" by the MSM. ("Abolishing the IRS" will be used as an example of this.) Trump has a greater ability to talk over the press, and his brashness connects with a lot of people who have, up to now, given up on the political process. Without them, voter demographics will continue to favor the Democrats.

The demographics, if it is Cruz or Trump, favor the Dems now. And, yeah, Cruz is as far right one can be.

Were anger the only problem, this would be a cake walk. The problem, as I see it is "getevenism" and that will never fly. This is the Dem's election to lose. Regardless as to who may win, America looses. The "War of the Roses" continues.

Forum List

Back