I say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! You got a problem with that?

Re Christmas, check all statements that apply to you:

• Christmas is Christmas. Celebrate it!!!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Happy Holidays is more considerate of the feelings of others.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Put Christmas (and other religious festivals) back into the schools.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Keep Christmas (and other religious festivals) out of the schools.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Only secular Christmas observances are P.C.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Each community should practice their own chosen Christmas customs.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
It's usually a christian around this time who gets all offended that not all stores tell every person merry christmas.

You don't see non-christians starting threads about being offended regarding this topic.

For some reason these christians think they own this country, and everyone must worship as they do.

They can't seem to understand that not everyone wants their religion shoved down their throat. However, they seem to get offended when people don't shove their religion down everyone's throat. :eusa_boohoo:

There seems to be a lack of tolerance for people who DON'T want to celebrate the birth of your god.
no one is attacking christmas that is just what you dont get

My compliments are never backhanded. They are up front and real and well intended when I give them.

And this thread is not about attacking Christmas. There are other threads dealing with that. This thread is about tolerance for those who wish to celebrate Christmas as Christmas and not some generic politically correct something else.

I don't know why that is such a difficult concept for some of you folks to grasp. You really haven't read the thread have you. If you had you would have seen many showing much intolerance for the celebration of Christmas and those who want to severely restrict how and where it is celebrated. And you would have seen even more intolerance for those who are objecting to that.

Your title is arrogant. It seems to say that you will tell me Merry Christmas if I celebrate it or not. You don't care.

It seems to indicate that you believe that everyone must be part of your borg, whether to chose to or not.:cuckoo:

Once again CHRISTmas is about the christian god. That is clearly a christian religious holiday.

Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday. Remember? Pilgrims? Indians? Turkey. It has nothing to do with the chrisitan god.

if anyone is destroying the 'religious holidays' i would look to the people consumed with buying......

i would look at people who insist that its this or that.....

personally this thread and the attitude of the op and many of the posters sickens me...what became of a time of peace, joy and brotherly love? i just aint seeing it being reflected by this thread and the attitudes of many of the posters.....

and stop playing the victim card.....so you got some negs.....i am sure you got some pos too....

If that was directed at me, I certainly have not played the 'victim card' or even complained. I have used the neg reps and unkind remarks as illustration of the absence of peace, joy, and brotherly love that you seem to object to. When you get negged for defending Christmas I suppose it is a sign of the times. :)

And you are not a Chrisitan. What is to you what Christmas is to a Christian? I certainly have not put down nor criticized those or disrespected anybody here who is not Christian and does not observe Christmas as a religious holiday. Tolerance works two way you know. I respect you and your beliefs and/or non beliefs. Tolerance would suggest that you would respect mine.

I am curious though why you would have a problem with the attitude of the OP? It doesn't put anybody down. It doesn't demand that anybody worship anything or celebrate in any particular way.

It is an appeal, however, to preserve a piece of uniquely American culture and heritage as manifested in a national holiday. A holiday that is supposed to bring out the best in people and encourage good cheer. A time of happiness, fun, caring, charity, and, for Christians only, a particular point in the Church calendar. It is an appeal to not deny those who wish to celebrate it the right to do so however they choose the celebrate it.

So why would you have a problem with that?

Thanks for giving bones a great illustration cmike. Again none of the advocates for celebrating Christmas as a national holiday have brought religion into it. It has only been those of you who object to non interference with celebrating Christmas as a national holiday however or wherever the community wishes to do that. It has only been those who object to my saying Merry Christmas to everybody who do that. It has only been those who object to this thread who do that.

And if they don't do that, they have tried to erect some other straw man to attack it.

Edit. Disclaimer. I am not objecting to Syrenn and a few others who have actually debated the subject respectfully and honorably disagreeing with my point of view on this. They haven't built straw men at all but have actually offered a different opinion on the actual thesis of the thread. I respect their opinions however much I might disagree with them.

Merry Christmas anyway. :)

Last edited:
Wow you speak for your entire community and now most of the non religious.

You must be a very important person.:cuckoo:

Not going to let you divert the thread with a straw man. Sorry Mike. I am one of millions of Americans who want to celebrate Christmas as a religious observance. I'm not asking anybody else to participate in that.

I am also an American who, as an American, wants to celebrate the National Holiday of Christmas as Christmas and not some other politically correct observance.

Most Americans have no problem celebrating Thanksgiving and making it their own whether or not they subscribe to its religious origins. I think most Americans can figure out how to do that with Christmas too without having to make it into something else.

And I wholly suscribe to allowing anybody not to participate in either or both as he or she chooses.

Question:

Does chirstmas mean christ/jesus/god/religion?

Only to Christians just as Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks to God only when it is celebrated by religious people. To the non-religious, or even probably to most of the religious, Thanksgiving is a national holiday with turkey and dressing and sweet potato pie and football. To most of the non-religious, and to even most of the Christians when they aren't in church, Christmas is a national holiday with Santa Claus and Rudolph and Jingle Bells and Winter Wonderland, candy canes, Christmas trees, beautiful lights, classical and modern secular carols, and gift giving.

Happy Chanukah. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeC8nTYEwQQ]ADAM SANDLER - CHANUKAH (HANUKKAH) SONG [PART 1] - YouTube[/ame]
Thanks for giving bones a great illustration cmike. Again none of the advocates for celebrating Christmas as a national holiday have brought religion into it. It has only been those of you who object to non interference with celebrating Christmas as a national holiday however or wherever the community wishes to do that. It has only been those who object to my saying Merry Christmas to everybody who do that. It has only been those who object to this thread who do that.

And if they don't do that, they have tried to erect some other straw man to attack it.

Edit. Disclaimer. I am not objecting to Syrenn and a few others who have actually debated the subject respectfully and honorably disagreeing with my point of view on this. They haven't built straw men at all but have actually offered a different opinion on the actual thesis of the thread. I respect their opinions however much I might disagree with them.

Merry Christmas anyway. :)

Wow you speak for your entire community and now most of the non religious.

You must be a very important person.:cuckoo:

Question:

Only to Christians just as Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks to God only when it is celebrated by religious people. To the non-religious, or even probably to most of the religious, Thanksgiving is a national holiday with turkey and dressing and sweet potato pie and football. To most of the non-religious, and to even most of the Christians when they aren't in church, Christmas is a national holiday with Santa Claus and Rudolph and Jingle Bells and Winter Wonderland, candy canes, Christmas trees, beautiful lights, classical and modern secular carols, and gift giving.

Nope. Just a fairly long lifetime of celebrating Christmas now. I've never known anybody other than Christians who ever celebrate Christmas as a religious occasion. I've known many many non Christians or not particularly religious types who love and observe Christmas but they never celebrate it as a religious occasion.

If you can find credible examples that don't agree with my observations and link them, I'll freely and publically admit that I was wrong about that.

Bottom line. Don't force people to celebrate Christmas if they don't. Don't take offense at Happy Holidays. Take "should" out of your message to others.

Grow up.

I know many Jews and Muslims who celebrate Thanksgiving as a religious as well as a secular holiday.

While we honor our heritage, we understand that time and events in the flow of history infuse and influence that heritage.

I hope no one takes offense because some person says or does not say "Merry Christmas."

Such offense undermines what being American means.

Last edited:
I know many Jews and Muslims who celebrate Thanksgiving as a religious as well as a secular holiday.

While we honor our heritage, we understand that time and events in the flow of history infuse and influence that heritage.

I hope no one takes offense because says or does not say "Merry Christmas."

Such offense undermines what being American means.

People who take offense at hearing Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas are equally as petty.

I love it when someone wishes me weill, even when it isn't my holiday. Too bad the same people whining about the Christmas holiday aren't able to wish folks well all year round.

Even the ones they can't stand.

There is a man that hurt me very badly in my past and I've never forgiven him, (but I long to). When I hear that his family is having problems it doesn't make me happy at all. I can wish him well at least in that regard.

I just wouldn't want to have to live next to the guy and have to share an easement or water rights again.

Not going to let you divert the thread with a straw man. Sorry Mike. I am one of millions of Americans who want to celebrate Christmas as a religious observance. I'm not asking anybody else to participate in that.

I am also an American who, as an American, wants to celebrate the National Holiday of Christmas as Christmas and not some other politically correct observance.

Most Americans have no problem celebrating Thanksgiving and making it their own whether or not they subscribe to its religious origins. I think most Americans can figure out how to do that with Christmas too without having to make it into something else.

And I wholly suscribe to allowing anybody not to participate in either or both as he or she chooses.

Question:

I don't know about that FF, i have never thought of Thanksgiving as a religious holiday...ever. I was always under the impression it was to reflect on what you were personally thankful in your life. A time to be thankful for the food on your table and the family and friends you share it with.

I agree, the meaning of christmas to me is santa, and rudolf and giggle bells and winter wonderland, candy canes, lights, a tree, decorations, parties, lavish good and gifts.

Zero to do with christianity, religion, or god.

"christmas" is a just another name for a holiday. I really dont care what anyone calls it. Semantics, the words are interchangeable as far as i am concerned.....so long as religion is left out of it. The moment it is meant to reflect anything "christian" then it is not interchangeable with holiday and can be offensive to some. Which is why saying happy holidays is just as executable to me as an all inclusive greeting.

Do satanists have a holiday? :dunno: If they do, is a holiday greeting meant to reflect their beliefs onto you, from them to you something you want or would welcome with a happy smile?

Question:

I don't know about that FF, i have never thought of Thanksgiving as a religious holiday...ever. I was always under the impression it was to reflect on what you were personally thankful in your life. A time to be thankful for the food on your table and the family and friends you share it with.

I agree, the meaning of christmas to me is santa, and rudolf and giggle bells and winter wonderland, candy canes, lights, a tree, decorations, parties, lavish good and gifts.

"christmas" is a just another name for a holiday. I really dont care what anyone calls it. Semantics, the words are interchangeable as far as i am concerned.....so long as religion is left out of it. The moment it is meant to reflect anything "christian" then it is not interchangeable with holiday and can be offensive to some. Which is why saying happy holidays is just as executable to me as an all inclusive greeting.

Do satanists have a holiday? :dunno: If they do, is a holiday greeting meant to reflect their beliefs onto you, from them to you something you want or would welcome with a happy smile?

That's the point I was making though. Thanksgiving was absolutely established to give thanks to God. That was quite specific in the Presidential proclamation to establish it, and has been obvious in every official Presidential Thanksgiving proclamation since. That is important to many religious people.

But for those, Christian or not, Jewish or not, who are not particularly religious, the National Holiday is a time for turkey and dressing and family and non-religious things. And that's fine. No problem at all. When I was a kid, the week before Thanksgiving vacation was the time to color pictures or make models of the Puritans and the Mayflower and Indians and a harvest and table full of bounty and other illustrations of the history of the first Thanksgiving. I hope schools still do that. It is part of our natural heritage and our culture.

And it is exactly the same with the national holiday that is Christmas. For the devoutly religious it is a high holy day to be observed with reverence and religious rites. For the rest of us, it can be that, but it is mostly decorated trees, tinsel, lights, Christmas music, Santa Claus, elves, and all the other imagery that has sprung up in our cultural experience as well as a special time to intentionally be with family and enjoy special Christmas treats and food. And that's fine too. It's all part of our national heritage and cultural experience.

There's something for everybody in all of it and that is the way a national holiday should be.

If that was directed at me, I certainly have not played the 'victim card' or even complained. I have used the neg reps and unkind remarks as illustration of the absence of peace, joy, and brotherly love that you seem to object to. When you get negged for defending Christmas I suppose it is a sign of the times. :)

And you are not a Chrisitan. What is to you what Christmas is to a Christian? I certainly have not put down nor criticized those or disrespected anybody here who is not Christian and does not observe Christmas as a religious holiday. Tolerance works two way you know. I respect you and your beliefs and/or non beliefs. Tolerance would suggest that you would respect mine.

I am curious though why you would have a problem with the attitude of the OP? It doesn't put anybody down. It doesn't demand that anybody worship anything or celebrate in any particular way.

It is an appeal, however, to preserve a piece of uniquely American culture and heritage as manifested in a national holiday. A holiday that is supposed to bring out the best in people and encourage good cheer. A time of happiness, fun, caring, charity, and, for Christians only, a particular point in the Church calendar. It is an appeal to not deny those who wish to celebrate it the right to do so however they choose the celebrate it.

So why would you have a problem with that?

christmas is far from a unique holiday, and certainly not one that is uniquely American as part of our individual historical past. As i am sure you know, the history of "christmas" is about making christianity more acceptable to the pagan masses,a combining of pagan beliefs and pagan traditions.

Doesn't a happy winter holiday include a time of happiness, fun, caring, charity? I have never been under the impression that chirstians had the corner on that market ;)

However if christmas includes a baby jesus for you, that's great. Woohoo, have a great time with it.

The problem i see ff, is you think that a winter holiday must be called christmas to be acceptable.... to you.

i dont care what you do at christmas.....i did not start a thread on it ..now did i?

you are the one coming off....with the 'you got a problem with that' and then shocked at the consequences of your actions

you seem to want it both ways.....on one hand its a national holiday for everyone...then it becomes a christian holiday for you? you can have it one way or the other....either you believe its an exclusive holiday or you dont....and by exclusive i mean that one has to be a christian to understand and celebrate it

I'm not gonna fight with you bones. Yes, Christmas is a Christian Holy Day for me. I do not expect it to be for you or anybody who is not Christian. That was my whole point with the thread. Christmas started out as a Christian High Holy Day, but has since become a NATIONAL holiday for ALL Americans and there is something to appreciate or have fun with for all Americans who enjoy that. I was defending Christmas against those who think it is somehow inappropriate to celebrate it in some settings.

I'm so sorry if my thread title offends you, and it is totally mystifying to me why it should. I want to wish people a Merry Christmas whatever Christmas means to them. I don't want to be put down because I feel that way about it. Sort of like you are doing here. :)

I am defending Christmas. So you do have a problem with that, yes?

If it is pubic schools.... yes i think it is inappropriate. Other then that, have a merry christmas FF.

As i said before, defending christmas is on thing. Defending it in public schools is a different thing all together.

That's the point I was making though. Thanksgiving was absolutely established to give thanks to God. That was quite specific in the Presidential proclamation to establish it, and has been obvious in every official Presidential Thanksgiving proclamation since. That is important to many religious people.

But for those, Christian or not, Jewish or not, who are not particularly religious, the National Holiday is a time for turkey and dressing and family and non-religious things. And that's fine. No problem at all. When I was a kid, the week before Thanksgiving vacation was the time to color pictures or make models of the Puritans and the Mayflower and Indians and a harvest and table full of bounty and other illustrations of the history of the first Thanksgiving. I hope schools still do that. It is part of our natural heritage and our culture.

And it is exactly the same with the national holiday that is Christmas. For the devoutly religious it is a high holy day to be observed with reverence and religious rites. For the rest of us, it can be that, but it is mostly decorated trees, tinsel, lights, Christmas music, Santa Claus, elves, and all the other imagery that has sprung up in our cultural experience as well as a special time to intentionally be with family and enjoy special Christmas treats and food. And that's fine too. It's all part of our national heritage and cultural experience.

There's something for everybody in all of it and that is the way a national holiday should be.

No, it's not "exactly the same". Christmas is a religious holiday, one that some secular folks celebrate, but it is a religious holiday.

No, it's not "exactly the same". Christmas is a religious holiday, one that some secular folks celebrate, but it is a religious holiday.

It is NOT a religious holiday for those who are not religious any more than Thanksgiving is a religious holiday for those who are not religous. Both were initially established as religious holidays. Our culture has evolved them both into national holidays that embrace everybody.

Last edited:
:lol:

FF, earlier in the thread you said you found Jewish religious items and customs "charming". Which is a fairly demeaning way to describe someone's views.

I do not think that Jewish families want their kids exposed to Santa every day at school. You are forcing your religious customs on others. Or at least attempting to. The courts say that you cannot do that.

Usually, when I'm in an argument with someone on this issue, I can point out that I've spent more time teaching kids about Jesus than they have even thought about-but in your case, I don't think you're a hypocrite, just overbearing in this area.

Sorry FF, Thanksgiving was not meant to be religious.

Thanksgiving was established by Lincoln during a time of civol war to try and bring the north and south together. Some woman ( ill look it up if you need it) talked about making thanksgiving a holiday it in Harper's Bazaar for years, and Linclon took it up as a good idea.

As to something for everyone in christmas.....there is something for everyone in just about every religious holiday celebration. Best time for festival food ya know :)

Sorry FF, Thanksgiving was not meant to be religious.

Thanksgiving was established by Lincoln during a time of civol war to try and bring the north and south together. Some woman ( ill look it up if you need it) talked about making thanksgiving a holiday it in Harper's Bazaar for years, and Linclon took it up as a good idea.

As to something for everyone in christmas.....there is something for everyone in just about every religious holiday celebration. Best time for festival food ya know :)

No need. Here is Lincoln's proclamation establishing Thanksgiving. I had to memorize and recite some of it, I think in fifth grade, for our school Thanksgiving program:

As in its original form, it is just one big block of type. I have inserted paragraphing to make it more readable:

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God.

In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People.

I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.

And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

William H. Seward,
Secretary of State

The original Thanksgiving was organized to give thanks to God for a bountiful harvest that ended the very real hardships encountered by the first American settlers. From Lincoln on, every single President has included in his Thanksgiving proclamation that the day is to thank God for all our blessings. Most churches have some special service recognizing Thanksgiving and there is much sacred music composed for Thanksgiving services.

And in spite of that, the non religious have made the national holiday their own and enjoy it as much as the religious do and appreciate it as part of the American cultural heritage. The religious and non-religious alike would mightily object if anybody attempted to diminish or forbid celebrations of Thanksgiving in almost any setting.

Again, Christmas is no different and I want us to preserve our national heritage and cultural traditions for that too.

Forum List

Back