I say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! You got a problem with that?

Re Christmas, check all statements that apply to you:

• Christmas is Christmas. Celebrate it!!!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Happy Holidays is more considerate of the feelings of others.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Put Christmas (and other religious festivals) back into the schools.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Keep Christmas (and other religious festivals) out of the schools.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Only secular Christmas observances are P.C.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Each community should practice their own chosen Christmas customs.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Our schools are secular. Sorry.

And that has what to do with anything I said?

You want Christmas traditions in the schools, but we have a secular system. Sorry.

I grew up in public schools that didn't bow to that kind of poltiically correct nonsense. It was wonderful. It was the high point of the year for the kids, Christian and non Christian alike, we had a ball, it lightened the load for those kids who didn't have much joy in Christmas at home (and that would include me much of the time), and it was not the least bit coercive or any form of indoctrination and it violated the First Amendment in no way at all. Even up through the time that my kids were in the public schools, Christmas was a big deal and it was observed as Christmas.

To make the joys of Christmas, of all things, somehow unacceptable in the school looks so much to me like one of the uglier sides of oppressive statism that I cannot condone the concept. So I will continue to object to that.

I love Jesus! Anyone got a problem with that? :D

Attachments

• $christmas35.gif
    $christmas35.gif
    72.9 KB · Views: 27
I love Jesus! Anyone got a problem with that? :D

I do too so I sure don't have a problem with that.

But I think we can celebrate our heritage, including the special festival of Christmas, whether or not Jesus is important to the celebrants. Christmas in America is an important religious occasion, but it has also become larger than that and part of the American culture in many ways to almost all of its people, Christian and non Christian, religious and non-religious alike.

This thread is to honor that part of our culture and heritage and defend it against erosion and diminishment by what I consider to be wrong headed notions of political correctness.

I'm not biting guys. There is nothing in the OP nor in anything I have posted on this thread or anywhere else or in anything any of the other pro-Christmas people have posted that suggests that anybody should be asked or required to worship anything. That is not the thesis of this thread and you're off topic trying to push it in that direction.

You see it all as neutral, but trees, and Santa, and reindeer, all are part of how we celebrate a Christian holiday.

It is a Christian holiday only to Christians. It is a national holiday to all Americans. I wish everybody could make that distinction.

I've said this before on here, but since you're new I'll let you know how it is in our public school during the month of December.

The kids (elementary) practice 2 songs (each grade level does 2 songs) -one grade may do 2 Christmas songs, one grade 2 Hanukkah Songs, one grade 2 Kwanza songs, one grade 2 songs in Spanish, etc.

We have Christmas trees, snowmen, snowflakes, Christmas lights, etc all through the building.

In Art Class they make presents for their parents, and also in class. They make them Christmas Cards or just a card if they don't celebrate Christmas.

Some of the kids go to the retirement home with Christmas cookies and Christmas cards and sing them Christmas Carols, the older people love it.

We have a party for the kids the last day of school before vacation.

It's worked this way for longer than I've been teaching there, without one complaint from anyone.

And nobody got hurt by all of this! Imagine that!

I've said this before on here, but since you're new I'll let you know how it is in our public school during the month of December.

The kids (elementary) practice 2 songs (each grade level does 2 songs) -one grade may do 2 Christmas songs, one grade 2 Hanukkah Songs, one grade 2 Kwanza songs, one grade 2 songs in Spanish, etc.

We have Christmas trees, snowmen, snowflakes, Christmas lights, etc all through the building.

In Art Class they make presents for their parents, and also in class. They make them Christmas Cards or just a card if they don't celebrate Christmas.

Some of the kids go to the retirement home with Christmas cookies and Christmas cards and sing them Christmas Carols, the older people love it.

It's worked this way for longer than I've been teaching there, without one complaint from anyone.

Lordy don't post the place just in case somebody from the ACLU is reading in here. They'll find or pay somebody to use as a 'plaintiff' and go after your school with us taxpayers paying the bill for them to do so. It has happened here. And that is one reason I even raise the issue.

I'm just going by the title I didn't even read your OP.

Why would you assume that I am christian and worship your god by telling me Merry Christmas?

I think that is extremely arrogant.

That's really silly. By definition it's to worship your "Christ", your god.

It's a religious holiday for christians.

I'm not biting guys. There is nothing in the OP nor in anything I have posted on this thread or anywhere else or in anything any of the other pro-Christmas people have posted that suggests that anybody should be asked or required to worship anything. That is not the thesis of this thread and you're off topic trying to push it in that direction.

You see it all as neutral, but trees, and Santa, and reindeer, all are part of how we celebrate a Christian holiday.

It is a Christian holiday only to Christians. It is a national holiday to all Americans. I wish everybody could make that distinction.

If that is all it is to you, that's too bad for you, but to each his own. By all means don't celebrate our national holiday of Christmas. I support you 100% in your choice not to celebrate Christmas. All I ask is that you don't interfere with me or my community celebrating it as we choose.

Last edited:
It's your religious holiday.

Also, exactly how do you claim the whole community?

If that is all it is to you, that's too bad for you, but to each his own. By all means don't celebrate our national holiday of Christmas. I support you 100% in your choice not to celebrate Christmas. All I ask is that you don't interfere with me or my community celebrating it as we choose.

And if you lived in san francisco...... do you think that would fly?

Not going to let you divert the thread with a straw man. Sorry Mike. I am one of millions of Americans who want to celebrate Christmas as a religious observance. I'm not asking anybody else to participate in that.

I am also an American who, as an American, wants to celebrate the National Holiday of Christmas as Christmas and not some other politically correct observance.

Most Americans have no problem celebrating Thanksgiving and making it their own whether or not they subscribe to its religious origins. I think most Americans can figure out how to do that with Christmas too without having to make it into something else.

And I wholly suscribe to allowing anybody not to participate in either or both as he or she chooses.

I don't get that attitude at all, no one should be offended by Christmas, it makes no sense to me, and I say that as a Jew. This is America, America celebrates Christmas, it is part of the culture of this country and as Foxfyre says it is only religious for Christians, if you're not a Christian it's not religious

Not going to let you divert the thread with a straw man. Sorry Mike. I am one of millions of Americans who want to celebrate Christmas as a religious observance. I'm not asking anybody else to participate in that.

I am also an American who, as an American, wants to celebrate the National Holiday of Christmas as Christmas and not some other politically correct observance.

Most Americans have no problem celebrating Thanksgiving and making it their own whether or not they subscribe to its religious origins. I think most Americans can figure out how to do that with Christmas too without having to make it into something else.

And I wholly suscribe to allowing anybody not to participate in either or both as he or she chooses.

Question:

Does chirstmas mean christ/jesus/god/religion?

How is Christmas diminished by people who don't celebrate it? I don't get it. Do we live in a free country or not? Must ALL Americans celebrate Christmas whether it's meaningless to us or not?

Last edited:
It seems that some of the christans are offended if not everyone celebrates their religious holiday based on the birth of their god:bow3:.

If christians want to celebrate their holiday that is good.

The problem is that they want to force their holiday down everyone else's fault, and take the attitude that their christian religion governs the country.

The US is not a theocracy.

It shows a tremendous amount of arrogance.

How is Christmas diminished by people who don't celebrate it? I don't get it. Do we live in a free country or not? Must ALL Americans celebrate Christmas whether it's meaningless to us or not?

Since CHRISTmas is devoted to the christian god, it's a religious holiday by definition.

Question:

Does chirstmas mean christ/jesus/god/religion?

Forum List

Back