I see no need to own a cast iron pan

You said you didnt see a need for it,that would make you an idiot.
I don't need a Mercedes C-Class. That doesn't mean I think a Mercedes sucks.
I don't need a leaf blower. That doesn't mean I think leaf blowers suck.

You're so desperate to cling to the straw man argument you made that you're embarrassing yourself. To be clear you actually believe anything someone doesn't need must mean they think it sucks?

What is your IQ like 70? Jesus Christ.

I don't need a Mercedes C-Class. That doesn't mean I think a Mercedes sucks.
I don't need a leaf blower. That doesn't mean I think leaf blowers suck.

You're so desperate to cling to the straw man argument you made that you're embarrassing yourself. To be clear you actually believe anything someone doesn't need must mean they think it sucks?

What is your IQ like 70? Jesus Christ.

My IQ is high enough to quit high school in the 9th grade and retire at 46 twelve years ago.
How about you?

So tell me,what does the enamel coating do to help with even heat?
nothing. I makes it easier to clean, no seasoning required, and somewhat dishwasher safe.
Enameled cast iron or steel pans/pots have their niche, but you will never find one in my kitchen.

You havent been keeping up.
I have a lot of Be Buyers French carbon steel pans.
They still dont compare to cast iron pans.
LOL "Be Buyers" :abgg2q.jpg:

I am 25 steps ahead of you. I have been using carbon steel for 25 years. You?

Carbon Steel Frying Pan are 37% thinner than a Cast Iron pan, which assists in quick heating and responses to temperature changes. The carbon and iron construction process means there’s even heat distribution and no hot spots, so your food cooks evenly throughout.

The best properties of cast iron, only lighter and easier to handle

Last edited:
LOL "Be Buyers" :abgg2q.jpg:

I am 25 steps ahead of you. I have been using carbon steel for 25 years. You?

Carbon Steel Frying Pan are 37% thinner than a Cast Iron pan, which assists in quick heating and responses to temperature changes. The carbon and iron construction process means there’s even heat distribution and no hot spots, so your food cooks evenly throughout.

The best properties of cast iron, only lighter and easier to handle

I highly doubt that.
I've been using De Buyers before you were born Jr.

Try Le Creuset ghetto boy.
Never saw anyone go on as much about pans as this thread has. My goodness, paid ads don't last this long. I grew up with cast, SS, etc. --my mom could cook on anything and it was always good. When we got married, we received a full set of aluminum clad Farberware--still using it after 47 years. We are also using our cast iron and old fashioned Mirro pressure cooker. Food is still good. I figure that sums this thread up in one post.

You only own one?
I've been cooking on cast for 38 years and De Buyers for the same.
Try again noob...
I don't use it. Enameled cast iron is for those that don't know any different.
Uneducated, say 9th grade dropouts.. just sayin...

Last edited:
It seems cast iron has had a resurgence in popularity and some folks are borderline cult-like over it, but I've yet to have anyone give me a good reason to own one instead of stainless steel. They are heavy (I like to flip food), take longer to heat up, aren't responsive, react with acidic ingredients, and you can't just soak the pan to clean later since it will rust out. I don't get the appeal.
I agree. Cast iron is too heavy and carbon steel pans are much lighter and far superior.
It’s a hybrid of the best qualities of Cast Iron and Stainless Steel Cookware, blending the heat retention and non stick properties of Cast Iron with the heat control and cooking speed of Stainless Steel.

Also that enameled cast iron is really for lazy people

Last edited:
I like black iron skillets, griddles, and dutch ovens. Always have. They are fine for the kitchen, but particularly good in camp. They are hard core, promote even heating, and if properly cured, relatively easy to clean for frying, for stewing or making cobblers in the ground. I took one with me last week camping.
Yeah they are really good for in the ground, but carbon steel pans are far superior in the kitchen. It’s a hybrid of the best qualities of Cast Iron and Stainless Steel Cookware, blending the heat retention and non stick properties of Cast Iron with the heat control and cooking speed of Stainless Steel.

Carbon steel pans are very good as well. Similar properties to cast iron, yet lighter. Great for daily use.
I have a 8, 10 and 12". All of my pots are stainless steel. Cast iron will easily scratch ceramic or induction cooktops.
Carbon steel, not easily.

Yeah, I've never had any carbon steel cookware but I've looked at them. They are lighter than cast iron, not brittle, and heat up and cool down quicker, which is an asset or liability depending on your likes and needs. How are carbon steel with acidic foods?

Forum List

Back