I see no need to own a cast iron pan

It seems cast iron has had a resurgence in popularity and some folks are borderline cult-like over it, but I've yet to have anyone give me a good reason to own one instead of stainless steel. They are heavy (I like to flip food), take longer to heat up, aren't responsive, react with acidic ingredients, and you can't just soak the pan to clean later since it will rust out. I don't get the appeal.
How in the Hell else would you cook a steak indoors?

The IR camera just showed the temperature variance of over 140 degrees from middle of pan to edge.
Your head has a difference of 140° from middle to edge.

I have been discrediting the notion that owning one is useful if you have stainless steel
What kind of moron are you to think you can decide that for other people?

Here are some worthwhile articles on making cookware choices:

So I guess you didnt know that Le Creuset is a cast iron pan/pot.
Correction = Le Creuset is a french brand that produces many types of cookware including stainless steel, and they are best known for enameled cast iron cookware.

My sister has a LC braiser and she loves it. I prefer a stainless steel rondeau for similar tasks.

A more consistent thickness means even heat.
Not necessarily, the equation includes both mass and the properties of the material itself.

Just so ya know Le Creuset is cast iron.
Thanks for bringin' the knowledge chief!

Screenshot 2023-11-01 12.40.08 PM.png

Your head has a difference of 140° from middle to edge.
Translation: "I can't refute the evidence before me, so I'll attempt a lame joke worthy of 8th grade"

What kind of moron are you to think you can decide that for other people?
I'm not deciding it for anyone, I'm deciding it for me. You coming along with misinformation certainly doesn't help.

What argument was feeble? And what is wrong with being trained and skilled in an area you claim expertise in?
Your argument that cast iron heats evenly without hot spots. There is nothing wrong with being trained in something, there is something wrong with thinking your imaginary chef training changes the physical properties of metals.

Definitely can't say the same about you. You are as common as a penny.
You hate those who know more than you.

Whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.
Case in point, you monosynaptic huevon.

Also done so about 50 times including links to professional articles, so basically, you're still an idiot talking out of your ass.
This would be yet another lie. All you've come up with is saying you'd stir fry a pork chop to take advantage of this wonderful strength of cast iron where it heats unevenly, after previously claiming otherwise.

Your argument that cast iron heats evenly without hot spots. There is nothing wrong with being trained in something, there is something wrong with thinking your imaginary chef training changes the physical properties of metals.
Then it is the imagination of many people including that of the several cookware reports and comparisons I just linked to yesterday that you obviously didn't read because you are a big mouthed know it all who thinks he knows everything.

You hate those who know more than you.
Which leaves you out.

Case in point, you monosynaptic huevon.
First sign of a delusional moron is when they begin making up their own words.

Here are some worthwhile articles on making cookware choices:
Nice Google-Fu. Notable analysis from the second link:

"Fully-clad stainless steel cookware is incredibly versatile; you can use it for all types of recipes."

Which goes back to the premise of this thread, if one has stainless steel cookware why would they also need a cast iron pan? I have four stainless steel pieces, and one cheapo nonstick egg/crepes/omelette pan.

Apparently I lack in cornbread capabilities, which I can live with.

Sure. Whatever you say skillet-brain.
Hey man you're the one claiming cast iron heats evenly with no hot spots, it is awkward you mentioning brains.

Then it is the imagination of many people including that of the several cookware reports and comparisons I just linked to yesterday that you obviously didn't read because you are a big mouthed know it all who thinks he knows everything.
You posted nothing that said cast iron heats evenly.

First sign of a delusional moron is when they begin making up their own words.
Indeed. Pure comedy = The Village Idiot (tm) who previous claimed cast iron heats evenly and has no hotspots, advising us to simply stir food around to take advantage of the uneven heating:

"Ever occur to you that if iron skillets do vary a bit across their bottoms, that besides from maintaining their heat and changing temp slowly over time that this might be a GOOD THING Ace? As you cook, you stir things around so that food gets to take turns on higher and lower heat. And like any good cook, much like a wok, you can move food around as it cooks so that more cooked stuff is held at the edges while other stuff catches up and continues to cook?"

Have fun stir frying your grilled cheese sandwich while chanting "yeah this great!" to yourself.

Which goes back to the premise of this thread, if one has stainless steel cookware why would they also need a cast iron pan?

If you had actually read the articles or were an experienced cook, you wouldn't need to ask. No one "needs" anything. SS is great, just fine, just hard to clean and stuff sticks like crazy to it if you are not careful how you use it. Why you can't get that through your little peanut brain is beyond me.

Hey man you're the one claiming cast iron heats evenly with no hot spots, it is awkward you mentioning brains.
I said it holds its temperature, moron, but if made right and used properly, as verified by the linked articles, it heats very evenly as well and has no unevenness which would affect anyone's cooking adversely. But since you don't own cast iron, your opinion is worthless.

You posted nothing that said cast iron heats evenly.
Proof once again that you are an illiterate idiot who cannot read and does not read posted material.

has no unevenness which would affect anyone's cooking adversely.
Ladies and gentleman, the face of someone desperately gaslighting what they said before. How much more shit can you now add to decorate up your previous bullshit?

Earlier:
But since you don't own cast iron, your opinion is worthless.
Now:
I'm not even a cast iron "fanboy," in fact, right now, I don't even own one.
Watching a gibbering moron dunk on himself repeatedly is always good entertainment.

Ladies and gentleman, the face of someone desperately gaslighting what they said before. How much more shit can you now add to decorate up your previous bullshit?
Watching a gibbering moron dunk on himself repeatedly is always good entertainment.

Wow. Pretty sad when you have to troll your own thread in order to avoid answering the obvious questions of why iron is widely valued for its even heating properties, why no one has ever used cast iron and noticed any "uneven heating" much less had it impact their cooking, or why you claim "scientific value" to a couple of unqualified IR photos that each contradict the other saying opposite things, so now your angle is to attack me as a cast iron fanboy even though I don't own any iron skillets just because I'm telling you the truth about it?

Wow. Pretty sad when you have to troll your own thread in order to avoid answering the obvious questions of why iron is widely valued for its even heating properties, why no one has ever used cast iron and noticed any "uneven heating" much less had it impact their cooking, or why you claim "scientific value" to a couple of unqualified IR photos that each contradict the other saying opposite things, so now your angle is to attack me as a cast iron fanboy even though I don't own any iron skillets just because I'm telling you the truth about it?
This sure is a lot of text to distract from that embarrassment of saying the opinion of someone who doesn't own cast iron doesn't count after forgetting you had said you don't own cast iron.

Look over there everyone! Flash grenade!

There certainly is scientific value to an IR image showing that after 30 minutes that pan had such a difference from center to edge, but you reject it because you're one of those sad types who would rather discount evidence than learn something if it means admitting you were wrong.

This sure is a lot of text to distract from that embarrassment of saying the opinion of someone who doesn't own cast iron doesn't count after forgetting you had said you don't own cast iron.
No moron. I said I used to own a cast iron skillet but I broke it. I'll be buying another. I said I was now looking at maybe getting an enameled one.

There certainly is scientific value to an IR image
Only when used under scientific conditions testing many skillets of several types on various burners and getting consistent, repeatable results which you did not show. Your two pictures ascertained none of the variables and gave conflicting outcomes. Worse, they failed to correlate the alleged "uneven heating" with any experience in actually cooking with them.

Forum List

Back