🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

I think I am done with MLB for good.

I am a long-time fan of the NY Yankees. I am not much of a fan of A-Rod.

HERE is a quote I just came upon which puts the present controversy in (I say) a proper focus:

-- News from The Associated Press

A-Rod is a cheating prick. His cheating adversely impacted other player's records and their careers.

Fuck him.

He may get to play while he appeals his suspension. Again: News from The Associated Press

But I would prefer to see him just get saddled with the MORALS CLAUSE and thus not even be eligible for play while he "appeals."

The old saying I heard as a kid was "cheaters never prosper." Sometimes, sadly, that's not quite true. But it SHOULD be.

Oh, and FUCK A-Rod.

Fine his ass! Hell, fine him millions upon millions of dollars, but leave the stats alone. That is how I feel. He should not prosper from his cheating, but neither should MLB simply pretend like he never existed.

Immie

The point of a suspension is that he won't get paid. For him, that's HUGE fine. That is akin to fining him AND it stops him from padding stats that were already pad by his illegal use of the HGH and other PED's.

Since his "stats" are already phony. They can STAY in the "record books" but with a huge fat ASTERISK next to them (and next to his name) to denote the fraudulence behind his "stats."

I was going for a fine on top of the suspension. As it is, in this case, isn't it only the Yankees that win out here? Their payroll just got a major boost. A fine going to the league over and above the lost wages would add a bite.

Immie

Fine his ass! Hell, fine him millions upon millions of dollars, but leave the stats alone. That is how I feel. He should not prosper from his cheating, but neither should MLB simply pretend like he never existed.

Immie

The point of a suspension is that he won't get paid. For him, that's HUGE fine. That is akin to fining him AND it stops him from padding stats that were already pad by his illegal use of the HGH and other PED's.

Since his "stats" are already phony. They can STAY in the "record books" but with a huge fat ASTERISK next to them (and next to his name) to denote the fraudulence behind his "stats."

I was going for a fine on top of the suspension. As it is, in this case, isn't it only the Yankees that win out here? Their payroll just got a major boost. A fine going to the league over and above the lost wages would add a bite.

Immie

If MLB has the authority to do that, I'd be ok with a massive fine ON top of his suspension and loss of pay.

The Yankees also lose catcher Francisco Cervelli for the rest of the year.

They may save some salary, but they have been hobbled all season with the loss of available players due to a bad history of injuries this season. Unless there is some quality proof that they knew about the cheating of A-Rod and Cervelli, they should not have to pay anything more. And if the suspensions helps them acquire a replacement player or two, good.

Immie

If MLB has the authority to do that, I'd be ok with a massive fine ON top of his suspension and loss of pay.

They may save some salary, but they have been hobbled all season with the loss of available players due to a bad history of injuries this season. Unless there is some quality proof that they knew about the cheating of A-Rod and Cervelli, they should not have to pay anything more. And if the suspensions helps them acquire a replacement player or two, good.

Maybe I was unclear. I said that he had to pay the fine, not the Yankees. If they knew about they should be penalized as well but separately.

Immie

Immie

Maybe I was unclear. I said that he had to pay the fine, not the Yankees. If they knew about they should be penalized as well but separately.

Immie

I agree. I don't know if they can impose a fine on top of a suspension, though. And, honestly, I aint looking it up. :D

Immie

I agree. I don't know if they can impose a fine on top of a suspension, though. And, honestly, I aint looking it up. :D

Me either, but, I would not be surprised to find out that they can.

Immie

I don't particularly like either the Yankees or A-Rod, but if MLB bans A-rod like they did Pete Rose, I may very well be done for good. I get that he broke the rules and should be punished, but the bastards in the league offices have made this kind of crap political. This isn't about the good of baseball. Eliminating stats, keeping the greatest out of the Hall of Fame etc. affects the history of the game.

If a bunch of rich sons of bitches can toss a player for life and basically remove his name from the books because they don't like him why the hell should I get excited about the game? If you are a fan, you have memories of the game. Maybe it was Mark McGwire's record home run or maybe you were at the game when Pete Rose got hit number 4,192 or you are there when the Cubs finally win the series again. And then the idiots in the office say, "nope sorry it doesn't count in our books". I say screw them! Don't screw with the history of the game!

You cannot wipe out the stats of the best players in history, Rose and A-Rod being in that class, and maintain the integrity of the game. NCAA football is a sham now that they wiped out Joe Paterno's achievements and the achievements of everyone of his players. MLB is following in their footsteps. What a shame. I cannot get excited about a game, even a close game 7, if I think someday soon the people in the front office might nullify it tomorrow.

Immie

It would not be "because they don't like him," it would be because he repeatedly broke the rules. You said so yourself. Are you pro-cheating? An advocate of PEDs? Kids in high school or younger see A-holes like A-rod and want to emulate his success - any way they can. You want to encourage little kids to screw up their bodies like that so some A-hole can get his millions? And you're worried about records? Records of what? Science experiments? If you claim to love the game then you have to value integrity in the game.

I don't particularly like either the Yankees or A-Rod, but if MLB bans A-rod like they did Pete Rose, I may very well be done for good. I get that he broke the rules and should be punished, but the bastards in the league offices have made this kind of crap political. This isn't about the good of baseball. Eliminating stats, keeping the greatest out of the Hall of Fame etc. affects the history of the game.

If a bunch of rich sons of bitches can toss a player for life and basically remove his name from the books because they don't like him why the hell should I get excited about the game? If you are a fan, you have memories of the game. Maybe it was Mark McGwire's record home run or maybe you were at the game when Pete Rose got hit number 4,192 or you are there when the Cubs finally win the series again. And then the idiots in the office say, "nope sorry it doesn't count in our books". I say screw them! Don't screw with the history of the game!

You cannot wipe out the stats of the best players in history, Rose and A-Rod being in that class, and maintain the integrity of the game. NCAA football is a sham now that they wiped out Joe Paterno's achievements and the achievements of everyone of his players. MLB is following in their footsteps. What a shame. I cannot get excited about a game, even a close game 7, if I think someday soon the people in the front office might nullify it tomorrow.

Immie

It would not be "because they don't like him," it would be because he repeatedly broke the rules. You said so yourself. Are you pro-cheating? An advocate of PEDs? Kids in high school or younger see A-holes like A-rod and want to emulate his success - any way they can. You want to encourage little kids to screw up their bodies like that so some A-hole can get his millions? And you're worried about records? Records of what? Science experiments? If you claim to love the game then you have to value integrity in the game.

If you can just erase records, there is no integrity. As I have stated repeatedly, fine his butt and not just a slap on the wrist, but you can't just pretend he never existed.

Immie

Immie

Me either, but, I would not be surprised to find out that they can.

Immie

The answer seems to be "NO" under MLB's joint drug prevention and treatment program agreementhttp://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/jda.pdf

And there are SOME references to "fines" in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, but I don't see any (yet) as applying to this scenario. http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Immie

If you can just erase records, there is no integrity. As I have stated repeatedly, fine his butt and not just a slap on the wrist, but you can't just pretend he never existed.

Immie

There is no integrity in records that result from cheating. :eusa_whistle:

Fruit of a poisoned vine...

Last edited:

Immie

Then you may as well close all the stadiums, pack up all the bases, balls, gloves, bats & cleats and sit down and play Bingo, because the game is meaningless. It is as much of a joke as NCAA football after they tossed all of Joe Paterno's wins.

Unkatore, who the hell is Rosie Ruiz?

Immie

If you can just erase records, there is no integrity.

Fraudulent records? Should Rosie Ruiz be 'on record' as having won the Boston Marathon in 1980?

Um, no, reading up on the scandal just now, it says her win was challenged immediately and she was disqualified after the investigation of the race within a week. She was caught at the time of the incident not 10 years later. That is perfectly legitimate.

Lance Armstrong was incorrectly stripped of his titles years after his wins and there had been no challenge of his wins at the time of the races. A-Rod has been suspended for nearly a year and a half (and the suspension should have been longer) but his records were not questioned at the time they occurred, they are being questioned now. He has been playing for nearly 10 years. You cannot simply wipe out 10 years of stats now and have any of the stats accumulated over the last 100+ years mean a damned thing. Major League baseball raked in the dough happily while he was a star. Now they want to take it all back. If they are going to do that, then they should refund the money of the fans who went to the games to see his sorry ass play. I don't see that happening.

Immie

What if -- years later -- we obtained truly incontrovertible proof (scientific proof beyond ANY doubt, for example) that each year of A-Rod's career he was using Performance Enhancing Drugs and had also been using Human Growth Hormones and a few booster shots of testosterone per month?

WOULD any of his "records" be real?

Why not attack them as the crap they would then be?

What we DO know is that for at least SOME years, the cheater USED such chemicals to "enhance" his performance and boost his home run tally.

Fuck him.

I wouldn't care if they stripped him of ALL of his "records."

It's not like they were real in the first damn place.

This isn't even to mention the ERA tallies of various pitchers whose legitimacy he undermined. And it doesn't tell the full story of his competition -- those players who seemed relatively mild, stat-wise, compared to his juiced up and ginned up "stats."

If you can just erase records, there is no integrity.

Fraudulent records? Should Rosie Ruiz be 'on record' as having won the Boston Marathon in 1980?

Um, no, reading up on the scandal just now, it says her win was challenged immediately and she was disqualified after the investigation of the race within a week. She was caught at the time of the incident not 10 years later. That is perfectly legitimate.

Lance Armstrong was incorrectly stripped of his titles years after his wins and there had been no challenge of his wins at the time of the races. A-Rod has been suspended for nearly a year and a half (and the suspension should have been longer) but his records were not questioned at the time they occurred, they are being questioned now. He has been playing for nearly 10 years. You cannot simply wipe out 10 years of stats now and have any of the stats accumulated over the last 100+ years mean a damned thing. Major League baseball raked in the dough happily while he was a star. Now they want to take it all back. If they are going to do that, then they should refund the money of the fans who went to the games to see his sorry ass play. I don't see that happening.

Immie

LOL. I just knew you'd start dancing and qualifying. And Armstrong WAS challenged at the time.

Immie

That's also why you can't lump Pete Rose in with the A-roids. Nothing he did on the field, as far as anyone has ever intimated, had anything to do with PEDs. They're historical fact and occurred untainted (the gambling came later).

So the records of the A-roids and McGuires and Clemenses etc absolutely do deserve an asterisk, in bold, but that's not the case for Rose. Keeping him out of the Hall is nothing but a punitive measure. That's not what a Hall is intended for.

ARod, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Shoeless Joe and Rose, don't belong in the Hall of Fame and all their records are tarnished.

If you can't play within the rules, then you get punished.

Sorry, I'm not following your rationale.

What difference does it make if he stays in the record books or not.

They still made money and he is still disgraced.

If the records are the result of cheating, strike 'em.

No skin off your nose or mine.

It is the history of the game. Who cares about second best (especially when he probably cheated as well). Pete Rose got 4,256 hits and they were wiped out by the league office.

Yah know, I have to step back a bit on this. I was going to say that the fact that MLB just wiped out those hits sucks and no one cares who is second. I didn't even know who was second, by the way, it is Ty Cobb with 4,191. Well, I was going to say that wiping out those hits and his other records wipes out the history of the game as well and that not mentioning the fact that someone actually got more hits than Ty Cobb does not change the fact that it did happen... well, I went to MLB.com (which I think is the official site for MLB) and looked up most hits. Guess what... Pete Rose is listed as number one. Okay, I don't care if they banish A-Rod for life as long as they don't pretend like he never existed.

I stand corrected.

Immie

Rose got the hits and Bonds hit the HRs....those numbers stand on the record books but neither will ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame because of what else they did. Bonds and McGuire and Sammy Sossa brought baseball fans back to the parks that one summer alright and "saved the game" after that stupid strike. Their numbers are in the books with an *asterisk for their doping. What MLB doesn't acknowledge, other than Roger Clemens, is that the pitchers in those years were doping too. And let's be real here....no steroid ever enabled a ballplayer to hit a baseball....considered the hardest feat in all of sports. What it did was make and keep them stronger and quicker to heal from the aches and pains of a 162 game season. I remember Frank Thomas hitting a ball 535 feet in an All Star HR hitting contest. No human can do that without steroids, yet Thomas has never been mentioned in the scandal. A-Roid is a target because he flaunted the rules, tested clean when they knew he was dirty, and was fucking Madonna 2 weeks after his wife had delivered a new baby. He is said to have been recruiting users like Peralta and others for that clinic in Miami. And don't forget the Yanks owe him $99M in future years that they would love to get out of by having Selig give him a lifetime ban.

Bolshoi. Mantle used to do that. So did Dick Allen... Dave Kingman... Mays and Aaron are in that conversation. All of that was pre-PED.

Then there's trajectory...
One night Robin Roberts threw a pitch to Hank Aaron; Aaron swung and hit the ball right back at Roberts, who vainly tried to put his glove up as the ball whistled past his ear. Roberts turned around to watch the same ball sail over the centerfield wall, which was 447 feet from home plate...

ARod, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Shoeless Joe and Rose, don't belong in the Hall of Fame and all their records are tarnished.

If you can't play within the rules, then you get punished.

Wrong-- what Rose did in gambling was after what he did on the field. Nothing tarnished about that if you live in linear time.

You can punish all you like but you can't claim that physical accomplishments --done without any drugging-- are not valid accomplishments.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back