Record Books To Be Rewritten As MLB Adopts Negro League Stats

all they are doing is comparing stats....any body that knows baseball knows that how many games played and times at bat make the difference......you guys are crying over nothing....their good players were pretty equal to the good white guys....
We know exactly why they`re crying.

I think the Anson legacy is overstated. The rival American League arose and they declined to sign any black players.
Just like all the affirmative action programs we have today where businesses openly say we will not hire whites.!!! And lets not forget how biden said he would absolutely not appoint a white man to the supreme court.

Major League Baseball's record books are set to be rewritten as the sport formally incorporates statistics from the racially segregated Negro Leagues of 1920-1948 into its official history, reports said on Tuesday.

Fame catcher Josh Gibson will now have their names etched into baseball's official pantheon alongside the likes of iconic figures such as Babe Ruth, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron.

At a stroke, Gibson will become baseball's all-time leader in batting average, his career average of .372 eclipsing Ty Cobb's record of .366 -- a hitherto untouchable record which has stood since Cobb's retirement in 1928.

Gibson now replacing the racist Ty Cobbs record is priceless.
I’ve no problem with this. They were elevated to MLB status in 2020, so their stats should appear along side everyone else’s.

I’ve no problem with this. They were elevated to MLB status in 2020, so their stats should appear along side everyone else’s.
They did not play each other

Its ok to include Negro League stats within the Baseball Hall of Fame but not in place of white players as if they belong together

Because they dont belong on the same list

Last edited:
They did not play other

Its ok to include Negro League stats within the Baseball Hall of Fame but not in place of white players as if they belong together

Because they dont
their stats dont diminish the white guys stats its all a comparison.......any baseball person knows how many games played and how many at bats tell the story ......and they and the guys from the 1800's dont have enough to challenge anyones records....

their stats dont diminish the white guys stats its all a comparison.......any baseball person knows how many games played and how many at bats tell the story ......and they and the guys from the 1800's dont have enough to challenge anyones records....
As I understand the plan the Negro players will be placed on the same and only list ahead if white players

As I understand the plan the Negro players will be placed on the same and only list ahead if white players
for fucking comparisons........how many games played and how many at bats tell the story for who has the best averages in baseball...josh gibson played like 2500 games less than cobb did....

for fucking comparisons........how many games played and how many at bats tell the story for who has the best averages in baseball...josh gibson played like 2500 games less than cobb did....
You understand that but libs do not

WHY?

I don’t (never have) read thru Korean or Japanese stats? Those are not officiaal MLB Stats. Perhaps glanced at MLB approved minor league stats when they are hoisted onto the screen at callup time.

Stats from other leagues (games played under different conditions) are of no interest to those looking thru MLB stats? Perhaps a side by side comparison would be done by some hard-core stat junkies?

New young fans will look in and see name-numbers. They won’t know who is what, where, why or how?

Whats in it for real fans? Modify 100s years of tradition?

WHY?

Major League Baseball's record books are set to be rewritten as the sport formally incorporates statistics from the racially segregated Negro Leagues of 1920-1948 into its official history, reports said on Tuesday.

Fame catcher Josh Gibson will now have their names etched into baseball's official pantheon alongside the likes of iconic figures such as Babe Ruth, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron.

At a stroke, Gibson will become baseball's all-time leader in batting average, his career average of .372 eclipsing Ty Cobb's record of .366 -- a hitherto untouchable record which has stood since Cobb's retirement in 1928.

Gibson now replacing the racist Ty Cobbs record is priceless.
I am uncomfortable with this.

Baseball stats allow us to compare players using common data.
While I don't doubt the talent of players like Gibson and Paige I do doubt the validity of statistical comparisons.

There were 7 Negro Leagues included in this data.
10% of the population spread across 7 leagues vs 80% in 2 leagues?

Do we include Bauman's 72 HRs in 138 games in the minors?

What about Japanese records?
Given the impact Asian players are having do we include Japanese records as well?
Does Oh become the all time HR leader?
Do we add Masaichi Kaneda to the record book?

This isn't a race thing for me, it's about the numbers.

I think there should be:

Overall Record Book with players from all of the "major" leagues in every country
and
Individual record book for each league (MLB, each Negro League, Nippon...)

The differences make comparing Gibson to Cobb or Bonds to Oh a truly worthless endeavor because there is no common data upon which to make a comparison.

Just one DADO's opinion.

Well the negro leagues were NOT MLB status. They played like a 50 game schedule. The year josh gibson had 974 SA he only played in 39 games!!!!!

Forum List

Back