Record Books To Be Rewritten As MLB Adopts Negro League Stats

So, all of the players of the negro leagues would have been put-on major-league teams when baseball opened up. That did not happen. I loved the sport as a kid. It was numero uno. The strikes, the free agency rent a player and the steroid era were the death knell. They fill up the parks of course. To me it is like NHL Hockey plus with ratings compared to what it was. To what was something that seemed to be purity even though it was not. Now we remember the players or players from a time of success locally and not much more except the sport's purists. If purist is the right word. All I know is I was gypped as an aging man to talk about great players.
it did not happen when they were talking about it in late 1800's because of Cap Anson......what i find funny is the black players had no problems playing with the white guys,but many of the white guys had problems playing with darkies......i wonder why?....

a little tidbit....from 1871 until about 1884 the ball was pitched underhand....and yet those guys who played then get counted too...

Major League Baseball's record books are set to be rewritten as the sport formally incorporates statistics from the racially segregated Negro Leagues of 1920-1948 into its official history, reports said on Tuesday.

Fame catcher Josh Gibson will now have their names etched into baseball's official pantheon alongside the likes of iconic figures such as Babe Ruth, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron.

At a stroke, Gibson will become baseball's all-time leader in batting average, his career average of .372 eclipsing Ty Cobb's record of .366 -- a hitherto untouchable record which has stood since Cobb's retirement in 1928.

Gibson now replacing the racist Ty Cobbs record is priceless.
Gibson now replacing the racist Ty Cobbs record is priceless.

You are repeating lib lies

Shame on you

Here is s more informed opinion:

But a lot of people have made assumptions about Cobb based on the date of his birth and the location, which was 1886 in Royston, Georgia or near Royston, Georgia, and so people just assume that he must have been a racist. But what they don't know — and what I found out — is that he descends from a long line of abolitionists. His great-grandfather was a preacher who preached against slavery and was run out of town. His grandfather refused to fight in the Confederate army because of the slavery issue. His father was a state senator who spoke up for his black constituents and broke up a lynch mob in town and had a very short political career because of it.

[Cobb] never said anything about race until 1952 when he told the Sporting News that "the Negro has the right to play professional sports," he said, "and who's to say he has not."

a little tidbit....from 1871 until about 1884 the ball was pitched underhand....and yet those guys who played then get counted too...
I will add that the distance to home was shorter and they did not have elevated mounds.

Have any of you crying considered, for one moment, that the Negro Leagues were a better competition than the Major Leagues?

That should make your heads explode

Forum List

Back