Record Books To Be Rewritten As MLB Adopts Negro League Stats

Which was the inferior league? There shouldn't be a doubt in anyone's mind.
there isnt any doubt.....no one is saying that league was superior....it is a comparison of all professional baseball players over the years.....the players from the 1800's and the dead ball era shouldnt be on those lists either,but they have been on it for years.....the amount of games played and how many at bats matter when it comes to averages....

Lets mix Soccer and Basketball together. Both put the ball in a net, take shots on goal, fouls. free throws or penalty kicks, assists, turnovers, goals, goaltending, 5sec calls.…..might as well put WNBA in there also. But WHY would you?

Gibson now replacing the racist Ty Cobbs record is priceless.

You are repeating lib lies

Shame on you

Here is s more informed opinion:

But a lot of people have made assumptions about Cobb based on the date of his birth and the location, which was 1886 in Royston, Georgia or near Royston, Georgia, and so people just assume that he must have been a racist. But what they don't know — and what I found out — is that he descends from a long line of abolitionists. His great-grandfather was a preacher who preached against slavery and was run out of town. His grandfather refused to fight in the Confederate army because of the slavery issue. His father was a state senator who spoke up for his black constituents and broke up a lynch mob in town and had a very short political career because of it.

[Cobb] never said anything about race until 1952 when he told the Sporting News that "the Negro has the right to play professional sports," he said, "and who's to say he has not."
That’s a very informative post. I wonder if some of the far left folks in this thread who support the decision to include the Negro league baseball stats actually watch or study baseball. I think it’s OK to get involved in any topic but it’s certainly helpful to understand and try and study that topic.

But to attempt to dismiss one of the greatest athletes of all time such as Cobb in a one line sentence is really unfortunate. That’s unacceptable. And it won’t stand up to history thank God for posters like yourself and the many baseball historians who know better.

The negro leagues certainly had tremendous talents. People like satchel page, Jackie Robinson, Josh Gibson, Monte Irvin … but some of the Negro league baseball teams were barnstorming teams. Some of those games were built for comedy or sideshows. So the question that I have for the folks who might be informed more than I am is where are the statistics coming from. Are they including barnstorming games?

• Negro American League, 1937–1960 or so; after 1950, the league and its teams operated after a fashion, mostly as barnstorming units, but historians have a hard time deciding when the league actually came to an end.

The big question is when it comes to including Negro league stats with major league baseball and people surpassing the records of those like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb whatever it might be. Where are those statistics of the Negro league players coming from. ? This is the danger of bringing wokeism into these types of topics. I’ve seen it done with a “female baseball standout” Toni Stone who has been depicted in cartoons as a standout baseball player who competed with the best Negro league males. Yet I have never been able to find any video footage of her playing baseball. I would love to see it as a fan of the game.

Last edited:
Major League Baseball's record books are set to be rewritten as the sport formally incorporates statistics from the racially segregated Negro Leagues of 1920-1948 into its official history, reports said on Tuesday.

Fame catcher Josh Gibson will now have their names etched into baseball's official pantheon alongside the likes of iconic figures such as Babe Ruth, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron.

At a stroke, Gibson will become baseball's all-time leader in batting average, his career average of .372 eclipsing Ty Cobb's record of .366 -- a hitherto untouchable record which has stood since Cobb's retirement in 1928.

Gibson now replacing the racist Ty Cobbs record is priceless.
I like that.

That’s a very informative post. I wonder if some of the far left folks in this thread who support the decision to include the Negro league baseball stats actually watch or study baseball. I think it’s OK to get involved in any topic but it’s certainly helpful to understand and try and study that topic.

But to attempt to dismiss one of the greatest athletes of all time such as Cobb in a one line sentence is really unfortunate. That’s unacceptable. And it won’t stand up to history thank God for posters like yourself and the many baseball historians who know better.

The negro leagues certainly had tremendous talents. People like satchel page, Jackie Robinson, Josh Gibson, Monte Irvin … but some of the Negro league baseball teams were barnstorming teams. Some of those games were built for comedy or sideshows. So the question that I have for the folks who might be informed more than I am is where are the statistics coming from. Are they including barnstorming games?

• Negro American League, 1937–1960 or so; after 1950, the league and its teams operated after a fashion, mostly as barnstorming units, but historians have a hard time deciding when the league actually came to an end.

The big question is when it comes to including Negro league stats with major league baseball and people surpassing the records of those like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb whatever it might be. Where are those statistics of the Negro league players coming from. ? This is the danger of bringing wokeism into these types of topics. I’ve seen it done with a “female baseball standout” Toni Stone who has been depicted in cartoons as a standout baseball player who competed with the best Negro league males. Yet I have never been able to find any video footage of her playing baseball. I would love to see it as a fan of the game.
the records from the negro league were written at that time.....they only played around 60 70 games .....just like the early 1800 players....there are no stats from them that are outrageous...its all a comparison....some people are making a fuss over nothing....

Forum List

Back