Record Books To Be Rewritten As MLB Adopts Negro League Stats

You can't merge questionable records into MLB stats and immediately declare Gibson a better hitter than Cobb or Ruth....he wasn't.
I understand completely. There’s a lot that goes in that looking at who was the best. It’s not just their lifetime statistics but how good were they in their prime compared to their older age for example and many other things.

The whole thing kind of reminds me of the idea of allowing basketball players from the European league to have their stats incorporated into the NBA history. Sure some of those European players were better than some of the NBA players, but it’s kind of an odd situation.

You can't merge questionable records into MLB stats and immediately declare Gibson a better hitter than Cobb or Ruth....he wasn't.
I have no problem acknowledging the fact that some of the Negro league players were better than some of the MLB players. But I have seen some left-wing fanatics engage in broad sweeping generalization, such as the idea that if there was no racial barrier in baseball that all of the white players would be out of the game or something like that. It’s like saying that if the white baseball players were brought into the Negro leagues that they would dominate the Negro leagues.

why are you so against those stats?.....all they are doing is comparing stats.....in the 1800s many of those stats are questionable too... they have shown them for years....never heard anyone bitch about them....
Don't remember declaring any 1800s player the greatest hitter of all time.

all they are doing is comparing stats....any body that knows baseball knows that how many games played and times at bat make the difference......you guys are crying over nothing....their good players were pretty equal to the good white guys....
They have declared Gibson as the best hitter of all time. That's a joke.

Major League Baseball's record books are set to be rewritten as the sport formally incorporates statistics from the racially segregated Negro Leagues of 1920-1948 into its official history, reports said on Tuesday.

Fame catcher Josh Gibson will now have their names etched into baseball's official pantheon alongside the likes of iconic figures such as Babe Ruth, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron.

At a stroke, Gibson will become baseball's all-time leader in batting average, his career average of .372 eclipsing Ty Cobb's record of .366 -- a hitherto untouchable record which has stood since Cobb's retirement in 1928.

Gibson now replacing the racist Ty Cobbs record is priceless.
This is woke lunacy at it's finest. These were two completely separate leagues. You can't merge the records of two completely separate leagues.

all they are doing is comparing stats....any body that knows baseball knows that how many games played and times at bat make the difference......you guys are crying over nothing....their good players were pretty equal to the good white guys....
So, all of the players of the negro leagues would have been put-on major-league teams when baseball opened up. That did not happen. I loved the sport as a kid. It was numero uno. The strikes, the free agency rent a player and the steroid era were the death knell. They fill up the parks of course. To me it is like NHL Hockey plus with ratings compared to what it was. To what was something that seemed to be purity even though it was not. Now we remember the players or players from a time of success locally and not much more except the sport's purists. If purist is the right word. All I know is I was gypped as an aging man to talk about great players.

.their good players were pretty equal to the good white guys....
Maybe - but we don't know. The stats are doubtful. I have no doubt satch was a great pitcher because he did eventually play in the big leagues and did well . Same with jackie. But guys like josh and oscar - who knows?

Merging is not comparison? Like a marriage. Debts combine, assetts combine. They are taking ownership of uncontrolled data. I dont want to sift thru false, different data like Japanese.

Maybe I don't understand what they are doing from USMB posts? I refuse to read or listen to MSM.
when you read the BB Register you can see the differences in the eras....until someone has at least a couple thousand games and enough at bats to compare with Cobb,Cobb is still number one on that list....

when you read the BB Register you can see the differences in the eras....until someone has at least a couple thousand games and enough at bats to compare with Cobb,Cobb is still number one on that list....
Cobb spent most of his time in the deadball era. Very hard to say if he was a better hitter than ruth or williams or bonds.

BTW - cobb, williams, and bonds never won a World Series.

Don't remember declaring any 1800s player the greatest hitter of all time.
some claim Cap Anson was......look if gibson doesnt have as many games and at bats that cobb has then you cant compare the numbers.....Cobb was dead ball era anyway,his stuff shouldnt be compared to the guys after 1920 either...........

Cobb spent most of his time in the deadball era. Very hard to say if he was a better hitter than ruth or williams or bonds.

BTW - cobb, williams, and bonds never won a World Series.
I have no problem with any discussion over which MLB player is the best hitter of all time.
But no non-MLB player was.

some claim Cap Anson was......look if gibson doesnt have as many games and at bats that cobb has then you cant compare the numbers.....Cobb was dead ball era anyway,his stuff shouldnt be compared to the guys after 1920 either...........
I will gladly discuss any MLB player you want as the best.

Forum List

Back