Record Books To Be Rewritten As MLB Adopts Negro League Stats

Not an "apples to apples" comparison.

438305838_8025919960773884_4430050846266580122_n.jpg

447022803_10219432242516134_8907459262615438808_n.jpg

Why do we have to quantify this. Comparing stats doesn't prove anything. I'm sure Josh Gibson was great, maybe even the greatest ever. I heard stories about Cool Papa Bell, that he was so fast he could turn off the light switch in his bedroom and be under the sheets before the room got dark. Great story, and you gotta love Cool Papa, but what does it really mean? People just need to realize that there were super great Black players who were unjustly prevented from playing in the traditional big leagues. The point is, it doesn't matter if you think Josh or Ty is better. It's just an opinion that these stats can't possibly confirm. Personally, I'm a White boy but I favor Josh, mainly because I'm prejudiced toward catchers.

the bottom line is the baseball register, who keeps the stats, is doing what they have been doing with the 1800 guys and the dead ball era guys.....putting the stats together so you can see how everyone compares with each other ....usually to be considered for any record you have to have played at least 1000 games.....only a handful of 1800 players meet that. and i dont know if any guys from the official negro leagues played that many games.....Gibson played 14 years and only played 600 games in that time....in this league which kept the stats.....barnstorming games were not logged ......

The horrendous historical racism in this country is a stain we‘ll never wash off. This rule change is a step in the right direction.

It should be remembered that even after black players were allowed in the MLB, the owners limited the number allowed to play and many were treated terribly. I recently read the history of the great Bob Gibson. One of my childhood heroes. Even as great as he was, he experienced racism throughout his career.

The horrendous historical racism in this country is a stain we‘ll never wash off. This rule change is a step in the right direction.

It should be remembered that even after black players were allowed in the MLB, the owners limited the number allowed to play and many were treated terribly. I recently read the history of the great Bob Gibson. One of my childhood heroes. Even as great as he was, he experienced racism throughout his career.
blacks experiencing racism is not just confined to the non famous ones...

I recently read the history of the great Bob Gibson. One of my childhood heroes. Even as great as he was, he experienced racism throughout his career.
I can't think of a single pitcher who could ever compete with Gibson for the title of the greatest. Just look at the number of complete games, this is a guy who kept his pitching brilliance going into extra innings, too. And his desire to win is also maybe unmatched.

Lol. Where did I state I didn’t think Gibson experienced racism? You jump to too many conclusions.
Even as great as he was, he experienced racism throughout his career......did you think he shouldnt because he was great?.....hey just asking....

I can't think of a single pitcher who could ever compete with Gibson for the title of the greatest. Just look at the number of complete games, this is a guy who kept his pitching brilliance going into extra innings, too. And his desire to win is also maybe unmatched.
Yeah he was unbelievably great. Very intimidating while on the mound.

Divide the populous the way MLB did and you don't get one superior league and one inferior one. You get two inferior leagues.

With the leagues fully integrated, there is a dearth of black pitchers. There are fewer now than in past decades.

If there were fewer talented black pitchers in the "Negro League," that would explain the superior batting stats.

The reason for the lack of black pitching talent is obvious and unstated.

We`ll never know how hard those players were throwing but I seriously doubt that they threw 100 mph. The early radar guns were not very accurate or dependable so we`ll never know.

We`ll never know how hard those players were throwing but I seriously doubt that they threw 100 mph. The early radar guns were not very accurate or dependable so we`ll never know.
Pitchers today could never achieve the quality innings of a Bob Gibson, even if their managers would let them try, which they never would. Pitchers today are like racehorses today, overly strong and fragile.

It was a bad day for White Supremacists. 😭
Revisionist history is always a bad day for America. No one doubts how great a player Josh Gibson was, but you can't merge statistics from two COMPLETELY different leagues. That is nonsense. As I posted before, it would be just as silly to make Sadaharu Oh the all time home runs leader even though he only played in the Japanese Leagues.

Forum List

Back