I Think Some People Need to Remember Exactly What It Was Like During Trump

Immigrants of previous generations did not walk off the gangplank and magically speak fluent English. It took 2-3 generations for English to become the home language of those immigrant families just as it does today. There are some wannabe Know-Nothings today who lose their shit when they hear a word spoken in a language they don't understand. This attitude would be no less impatient or intolerant for the ancestors of some posting here. Make no mistake. Maybe think for a moment of your Swedish or Yiddish speaking ancestors when you curl your lip at immigrants today going through exactly the same process your own family did.
FFS. It did NOT take 2 - 3 generations for English to be the primary language spoken in the home! That’s because immigrants of yesteryear were eager to adopt the language of their new country, and for their children to be completely fluent by the time they started started school.

My grandparents came in, speaking Yiddish, and quickly enrolling in English courses. By the next generation, my parents, uncle, and aunt, ALL spoke English only in their homes. I myself do not speak Yiddish, other than a few flavorful words like chutzpah and putz.

ONE GENERATION.

So they didn’t expect Americans to adapt to THEIR foreign language, and the native-born Americans to lose jobs because they didn’t.
And neither do the migrants today.
There were no laws that compelled my or your ancestors to learn English.
Why do you now demand that of others?

Because you are a hate filled MAGA bigot, that is why.

Waaaaa…..a MAGA bigot……..

And I am not saying that Trump is not without critique. What I am concerned about in the next pandemic is the political factor. So much got exposed during COVID as an opportunity to push agendas as opposed to putting safety first. The message to protestors should have been the same message that was being delivered to religious organizations, social clubs, sports activities.
It exposed the globe as complicit

You need to calm down with this partisan hysteria bullshit, champ.

Yes it did. Don't cling to any false family myths.
That%27s%20just%20goofy.jpg

There is a process to assimilation, and every generation follows the same pattern.
No, they don’t. The immigrants in the early 1900s didn’t expect Americans to adapt to THEM. They worked hard and were eager to adapt to Americans, including learning their language.

Thats why by the next generation, the homes were all English-speaking. And the immigrants themselves became fluent in English.

By comparison, Florida opened up more than the other states. The News Media lost their shit over people hitting Florida beaches yet thought nothing of mass protests in NY, Chicago, DC, Seattle, San Francisco…. Cities and States with some of the more strict COVID regulations.
Dude, the demofks were rooting for everyone that went to get infected and die. That's how demofks play.

No, they don’t. The immigrants in the early 1900s didn’t expect Americans to adapt to THEM. They worked hard and were eager to adapt to Americans, including learning their language.

Thats why by the next generation, the homes were all English-speaking. And the immigrants themselves became fluent in English.
they know now that no one actually cares about them. They know that others will be coming and taking their spot in the line up.

Forum List

Back