I vaguely remember a debate where Obama mocked Romney for predicting our problems

Right wing morons. Who even knows what they are talking about. If they aren't supporting cannibals in Syria, then they are supporting Neo Nazi's in the Ukraine. A country that's 70% Russian.

You're calling president Obama a right wing moron. Intresting.

Why? Obama's not the one supporting cannibals in Syria, and Neo Nazi's in the Ukraine. That would be Republicans.

And Republicans are desperately trying to goad Obama into doing something the country and the world would regret. Thank God no Republican is president.

Right wing morons. Who even knows what they are talking about. If they aren't supporting cannibals in Syria, then they are supporting Neo Nazi's in the Ukraine. A country that's 70% Russian.

Why? Obama's not the one supporting cannibals in Syria, and Neo Nazi's in the Ukraine. That would be Republicans.

And Republicans are desperately trying to goad Obama into doing something the country and the world would regret. Thank God no Republican is president.

Like what Mr Derp? Drawing another fucking pointless line in the sand?

Who was it again that said they looked into Putin's eyes and saw his soul and then embraced him?

Oh yeah, George W. Bush, not Barack Obama.

Republicans are such retards. Were they outraged when Putin had his way with Georgia? Of course not.

Way to play politics where there are none, stupid Republicans.
Putin ignored Bush too, didn't he?

Putin trumps another U.S. President

And interesting the timing of all of this as Putin acts shortly after Hagel announces he's dialing back our military to pre-WWII levels?

These people still haven't come to the reckoning that there is still evil in the world...and still haven't learned how to deal with it.

And interesting the timing of all of this as Putin acts shortly after Hagel announces he's dialing back our military to pre-WWII levels?

These people still haven't come to the reckoning that there is still evil in the world...and still haven't learned how to deal with it.

Personally I don't think our military levels have anything to do with Putin's decisions regarding the Ukraine, he's playing chess not checkers on this one, in other words his thinking is long term and strategic. As things stand right now he's looking to get direct control of the Crimean Peninsula and it's ports which also puts him in a position to have indirect control over the rest of Ukraine.

What's the risk for him right now? short term economic sanctions which Europe (Russia's biggest trading partner) cannot afford to stick with for very long, so he's in a position to take some short term economic pain in order to win long term strategic and geopolitical gain and at the same time he's got the opportunity to prove to the rest of the world that the U.S. is an impotent power.

IMHO Our only hope of getting him to back down is to present a scenario where the economic damage to Russia is long term and escalating and for that we need to engineer a deal with the Europeans that will allow them to stick with sanctions over the long haul. We need something that hits the Russians hard in the pocket book and keeps hitting them for years to come, so far we haven't figured out how to do it.

"When you see a good move, look for a better one" -- Emanuel Lasker

With Russia.

Romney was right. But at least Obama still has his little reset button...

Romney wasn't right about anything. Let Romney come out from hiding and tell us why things would have gone differently in the Ukraine if he were president.

With Russia.

Romney wasn't right about anything. Let Romney come out from hiding and tell us why things would have gone differently in the Ukraine if he were president.

Forget Romney, he's not an elected official anymore, what I really want to hear is what the bloodthirsty warhawks like McCain actually propose to do about it. So far him and the chest thumping warmongers in Washington like him have just been running about pontificating about how President Clueless is so "weak" without actually specifying what they'd do differently.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZBm0216FKk]80s Called and Want Their Foreign Policy Back - Obama Jokes at Romney - 2012 Presidential Debate - YouTube[/ame]

So it's a win-win for Obama and Putin; Putin gets the Ukraine and Crimea and Obama got a new asshole

Personally I don't think our military levels have anything to do with Putin's decisions regarding the Ukraine, he's playing chess not checkers on this one, in other words his thinking is long term and strategic. As things stand right now he's looking to get direct control of the Crimean Peninsula and it's ports which also puts him in a position to have indirect control over the rest of Ukraine.

What's the risk for him right now? short term economic sanctions which Europe (Russia's biggest trading partner) cannot afford to stick with for very long, so he's in a position to take some short term economic pain in order to win long term strategic and geopolitical gain and at the same time he's got the opportunity to prove to the rest of the world that the U.S. is an impotent power.

IMHO Our only hope of getting him to back down is to present a scenario where the economic damage to Russia is long term and escalating and for that we need to engineer a deal with the Europeans that will allow them to stick with sanctions over the long haul. We need something that hits the Russians hard in the pocket book and keeps hitting them for years to come, so far we haven't figured out how to do it.

I agree with that...and I think the other thing that Putin saw was the 'RESET'...when Obama failed to deploy missles in Eastern Europe. And whom could forget...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFR8DbSRQE"]Obama open mic slip: 'After my election I have more flexibility' - YouTube[/ame]

With Russia.

Forget Romney, he's not an elected official anymore, what I really want to hear is what the bloodthirsty warhawks like McCain actually propose to do about it. So far him and the chest thumping warmongers in Washington like him have just been running about pontificating about how President Clueless is so "weak" without actually specifying what they'd do differently.

The topic of the thread is Romney.

But you're right, not a single Republican who is otherwise attacking the President has offered a better idea.

They are effectively bashing the president for doing pretty much what they would do if they were president.

I agree with that...and I think the other thing that Putin saw was the 'RESET'...when Obama failed to deploy missles in Eastern Europe. And whom could forget...
Great point, IMHO giving up the missile defense initiative in Eastern Europe was a huge strategic blunder which demonstrated short term thinking on the part of this Administration. They just gave away a bargaining chip and got essentially nothing in return and the worst part about it is that if we now go back and revisit that plan we look like feckless idiots with no strategic plan to not only the Eastern Europeans but the rest of the world as well.

I guess it's time to upgrade that "reset button" to a reset lever, just don't let anybody working in government design it, otherwise we're likely to end up with a "reset dildo". :D

"A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one, must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets rough." -- Ronald Reagan

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFR8DbSRQE"]Obama open mic slip: 'After my election I have more flexibility' - YouTube[/ame]

I'm waiting for someone to explain how a missile defense system, designed in fact to protect Europe from Iran,

a missile defense system that btw doesn't work, a missile defense system that the Russians could easily counter with missiles of their own if need be,

how would that have prevented Russia from doing what it's doing now in Ukraine?

It sounded clever (yet very insulting) at the time, but Obama poo pooed Romney's concerns about Russia.

This is why Obama has allowed us to sink so low. He doesn't consider Russia a threat anymore.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH5kFqlTPls]WATCH: Obama Mocking Romney With This Comment About Russia During A 2012 [SPECIAL INTERVIEW] - YouTube[/ame]

The topic of the thread is Romney.

But you're right, not a single Republican who is otherwise attacking the President has offered a better idea.

They are effectively bashing the president for doing pretty much what they would do if they were president.

You don't get it, McCain and his ilk WANT a return to the good old days of the cold war, that was their heyday and they loved every minute of it. They just don't have the courage to admit that's what they want, thus they won't specify what they'd do differently but you can bet that whatever they'd do differently would lead to escalating tensions and another military buildup.

... and on the other side of the aisle we have President Dimwit and his legion of morons that have absolutely no idea what to do other than channel their inner Neville Chamberlain and vacillate while Russian pulls off a strategic land and power grab right in front of them.

In other words the Ukrainians are screwed, Putin wins this round.

I'm waiting for someone to explain how a missile defense system, designed in fact to protect Europe from Iran,

a missile defense system that btw doesn't work, a missile defense system that the Russians could easily counter with missiles of their own if need be,

Russia already countered the proposed missile shield by moving their missile batteries to the Polish border:

"The deployment of the Iskander missiles, which have a maximum range of about 250 miles and are capable of carrying conventional or nuclear payloads, has often been threatened by Russia as a response to proposed extensions of an American missile defense shield in Eastern Europe."

"The Iskander deployment was disclosed amid a straining of relations between Russia and the West over political protests in Ukraine, a neighbor of Russia, that could determine whether that country signs an association agreement with the European Union or moves toward a customs union championed by Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/world/europe/russia-deploys-missiles-in-western-region.html?_r=0

You must be referring to the land based system. The sea based AEGIS/BMD based system has remarkable success.

-Geaux

The missile defense system itself was immaterial, the threat to Russia is the sphere of influence and the military involvement of the West right on their borders. Just stop and think what our reaction would be if the Russians proposed to deploy missile defense batteries in Mexico ostensibly to protect the Mexicans from a missile attack from Brazil, do you think for a second we wouldn't do everything possible to stop it? Remember the Cuban Missile crisis?

The defense system doesn't actually have to work or even be actually deployed, it just has to be on the table to be useful as a bargaining chip, the Administration effectively tossed that bargaining chip right out the window and much of the Eastern Europeans goodwill and confidence in us along with it.

Forum List

Back