I vaguely remember a debate where Obama mocked Romney for predicting our problems

I agree with that...and I think the other thing that Putin saw was the 'RESET'...when Obama failed to deploy missles in Eastern Europe. And whom could forget...

Obama open mic slip: 'After my election I have more flexibility' - YouTube

I'm waiting for someone to explain how a missile defense system, designed in fact to protect Europe from Iran,

a missile defense system that btw doesn't work, a missile defense system that the Russians could easily counter with missiles of their own if need be,

how would that have prevented Russia from doing what it's doing now in Ukraine?

The missile defense system itself was immaterial, the threat to Russia is the sphere of influence and the military involvement of the West right on their borders. Just stop and think what our reaction would be if the Russians proposed to deploy missile defense batteries in Mexico ostensibly to protect the Mexicans from a missile attack from Brazil, do you think for a second we wouldn't do everything possible to stop it? Remember the Cuban Missile crisis?

The defense system doesn't actually have to work or even be actually deployed, it just has to be on the table to be useful as a bargaining chip, the Administration effectively tossed that bargaining chip right out the window and much of the Eastern Europeans goodwill and confidence in us along with it.

No. Missile defense is just a brilliant scheme by the defense lobby and all their stooges in various places of power in and around the government to get us into a new arms race.

The offensive missile arms race has petered out,

what better, for the defense money interests, than to get us into another arms race based on defending ourselves from the missiles the last arms race created?

I'm waiting for someone to explain how a missile defense system, designed in fact to protect Europe from Iran,

a missile defense system that btw doesn't work, a missile defense system that the Russians could easily counter with missiles of their own if need be,

The missile defense system itself was immaterial, the threat to Russia is the sphere of influence and the military involvement of the West right on their borders. Just stop and think what our reaction would be if the Russians proposed to deploy missile defense batteries in Mexico ostensibly to protect the Mexicans from a missile attack from Brazil, do you think for a second we wouldn't do everything possible to stop it? Remember the Cuban Missile crisis?

The defense system doesn't actually have to work or even be actually deployed, it just has to be on the table to be useful as a bargaining chip, the Administration effectively tossed that bargaining chip right out the window and much of the Eastern Europeans goodwill and confidence in us along with it.

No. Missile defense is just a brilliant scheme by the defense lobby and all their stooges in various places of power in and around the government to get us into a new arms race.

what better, for the defense money interests, than to get us into another arms race based on defending ourselves from the missiles the last arms race created?

You're missing the point, the missile defense system itself is IMMATERIAL it's the sphere of influence and military involvement of the West on their borders that matters, the Russians aren't thinking about what's going on today they're looking down the road and examining the possibilities in the future, it's CHESS not CHECKERS. Dropping missile defense not only nixed the immediate worry for the Russians it also created a wedge between Eastern Europe and the U.S. (when we reneged) that the Russians can leverage to their geopolitical advantage.

You're missing the point, the missile defense system itself is IMMATERIAL it's the sphere of influence and military involvement of the West on their borders that matters, the Russians aren't thinking about what's going on today they're looking down the road and examining the possibilities in the future, it's CHESS not CHECKERS. Dropping missile defense not only nixed the immediate worry for the Russians it also created a wedge between Eastern Europe and the U.S. (when we reneged) that the Russians can leverage to their geopolitical advantage.

Nonsense. The missile defense system was still on the table when Russia got into the Georgia/Ossetia matter. It didn't deter them.

With Russia.

Romney was right. But at least Obama still has his little reset button...

Romney wasn't right about anything. Let Romney come out from hiding and tell us why things would have gone differently in the Ukraine if he were president.

Forget Romney, he's not an elected official anymore, what I really want to hear is what the bloodthirsty warhawks like McCain actually propose to do about it. So far him and the chest thumping warmongers in Washington like him have just been running about pontificating about how President Clueless is so "weak" without actually specifying what they'd do differently.

I heard quite a few specifics over the last week or so. It seems Obama is coming around to some of the solutions but it would have been much better ro have prevented this to begin with rather than scrambling to try to stop it. IF the situation becomes more volatile it will be time for the partisanship to cease and a unified front put forth. That alone could be a real challenge depending on the position Obama ends up in.

Obama: The 80's called the want their foreign policy back

Laughter

Putin called he wants the Ukraine back

Obama: that's not funny

Obama%20Peace%20Prize%202.jpg

Last edited:

It would be great if Russia was full of people like you, then you'd elect an idiot like Obama and we could kick back and laugh our asses off.

Nonsense. The missile defense system was still on the table when Russia got into the Georgia/Ossetia matter. It didn't deter them.

No. It did not. But Poland and the CR did not have any major concerns.

Now?

They do.

Romney wasn't right about anything. Let Romney come out from hiding and tell us why things would have gone differently in the Ukraine if he were president.

Forget Romney, he's not an elected official anymore, what I really want to hear is what the bloodthirsty warhawks like McCain actually propose to do about it. So far him and the chest thumping warmongers in Washington like him have just been running about pontificating about how President Clueless is so "weak" without actually specifying what they'd do differently.

I heard quite a few specifics over the last week or so. It seems Obama is coming around to some of the solutions but it would have been much better ro have prevented this to begin with rather than scrambling to try to stop it. IF the situation becomes more volatile it will be time for the partisanship to cease and a unified front put forth. That alone could be a real challenge depending on the position Obama ends up in.

Bwahaha! A new rightwing propaganda line is born!

So if this situation in Ukraine is resolved satisfactorily, the Obama haters are going to claim it was because Obama adopted conservative/Republican ideas?

Perfect!

So if this situation in Ukraine is resolved satisfactorily, the Obama haters are going to claim it was because Obama adopted conservative/Republican ideas?

Perfect!

Project much?

I never said who I heard offer the ideas. For the record what I heard came from both sides. Oddly enough NONE of it came from the whitehouse

And Putin would have so much respect for Mormney, right?

I'm sure if romney drew the red line he would've backed it up and putin wouldn't think he was a pussy, like the way he thinks of obama.

Perfect!

Huh?

Conservative/Republican ideas?

Your partisanship has you believing that ALL those that agree with the President are democrats and all those that disagree are republicans.

It must be tough being you.

LOL, let me get this straight, your theory is that in response to naked aggression the appropriate response is to decrease your own negotiating leverage? Sheesh and I thought this Administration was clueless when it comes to geopolitical brinksmanship, I guess we're lucky you're not in charge otherwise we'd be handing over Florida in response to the Russians move in Ukraine. :eusa_pray:

Perfect!

Bwwaaaaaaaaahhhhaahaa and when the situation is resolved satisfactory to the RUSSIAN then the liberals will blame the right for another failure.

I looked into Putin's eyes and saw his "soul". Course, the fact he wasn't wearing a shirt was terribly distracting.

Republicans have so many comments on foreign policy, yet every one of theirs for the last 20 years have been dismal failure. They find consistency and security in failure.

Forum List

Back