Idaho parents banned from cheering at basketball games.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
Parents at one Idaho high school were told if they don’t quit cheering for their child basketball players, they’d be sent to the penalty box for a minute.

“They think the only way they can encourage their kids is verbally,” said Justin Brown, the recreation coordinator for Post Falls, in The Coeur d'Alene Press.

Mr. Brown said some basketball events are touted as “Silent Cheer Day,” where parents are allowed to hold up signs to support their children on the court — but are banned from yelling. If they’re caught, they get a red penalty card, which sends them to a designated spot in the gym for a full minute, Fox News reported.

Why?

Cheering can lead to negativity, said Mr. Brown, to the newspaper. But parents and game watchers are puzzled by the policy.

“Nobody had ever heard of this before,” said Lorna Allen, a grandmother who attended one of the games, in Fox News. “I’m going to get thrown out right off the bat.”

Meanwhile, one of the referees who was tasked with watching the fans said he gave out 15 red cards during the test run of the first “Silent Cheer Day” game.

Read more: Idaho parents banned from cheering at children's basketball games - Washington Times
Follow us: [MENTION=39892]Was[/MENTION]htimes on Twitter

If they don't want spectators to cheer then don't invite spectators. This is more bullshit

As I was reading this, I started thinking about those who may not be able to have anyone there to cheer for them. :( :( :(

God bless you and the kids always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I know how it feels to be in that position because I have been in it. :( :( :(

Last edited:
This is what the taliban did in Afghanistan. What should happen is everyone cheer all the time.

I played four sports in HS, and I cannot imagine the events without yelling and hollering and all that goes with it. That's one of the jobs of the refs, that it does not get out of hand.

But imagine hitting a walk off home run of a game winning basket or crashing over the goal line with three seconds to go to win CIF in Southern California, and no one is cheering?

I played four sports in HS, and I cannot imagine the events without yelling and hollering and all that goes with it. That's one of the jobs of the refs, that it does not get out of hand.

But imagine hitting a walk off home run of a game winning basket or crashing over the goal line with three seconds to go to win CIF in Southern California, and no one is cheering?

It's not that they can't cheer at all; they can't cheer for any specific child.

LOL. Ah yes, in a blue state like Idaho this is exactly what one would expect. Oh, Idaho is red?:lol:

How do you know Mr. Brown isn't a Democrat?

What a retarded comment.

Brown got the idea from a seminar in San Diego, so one could argue he must be, right.

Brown got the notion for the silent cheer at a seminar he recently attended at the National Alliance for Youth Sports in San Diego.

The sound of silent cheering - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

It always comes down to red v blue anymore, it gets old.

Parents and boosters should stop showing up to games and hit the teams in the pocketbooks and let the teams know why they aren't attending.

Parents at one Idaho high school were told if they don’t quit cheering for their child basketball players, they’d be sent to the penalty box for a minute.

“They think the only way they can encourage their kids is verbally,” said Justin Brown, the recreation coordinator for Post Falls, in The Coeur d'Alene Press.

Mr. Brown said some basketball events are touted as “Silent Cheer Day,” where parents are allowed to hold up signs to support their children on the court — but are banned from yelling. If they’re caught, they get a red penalty card, which sends them to a designated spot in the gym for a full minute, Fox News reported.

Why?

Cheering can lead to negativity, said Mr. Brown, to the newspaper. But parents and game watchers are puzzled by the policy.

“Nobody had ever heard of this before,” said Lorna Allen, a grandmother who attended one of the games, in Fox News. “I’m going to get thrown out right off the bat.”

Meanwhile, one of the referees who was tasked with watching the fans said he gave out 15 red cards during the test run of the first “Silent Cheer Day” game.

Read more: Idaho parents banned from cheering at children's basketball games - Washington Times
Follow us: [MENTION=39892]Was[/MENTION]htimes on Twitter

I'd be spending most of the game in the penalty box, and I would hope most, if not all, of the other parents would join me.

I LOVE these threads where the rw's can pretend to be all indigent while never bothering to actually READ the article where they would have found the word, "some".

The policy is pretty dumb but its not exactly a sign of the end of life as you know it.

Cheering for one team over the other will hurt the feelings of the other team, and could possibly lead to damaging the self-esteem of the players.

Forum List

Back