If polygamy can be legalized in Britain, it can be legalized here.

Arab countries see no problem with a male having multiple wives but aren't so liberal when it comes to a female having muiltiple husbands.

Now let's talk about equality.......
You need to read the Old Testament which is full of polygamy and incest.

Who care?

I've never understood this argument. Why are you guys so damn interested in who gets to marry who?
Why is the left so focused on the rights of one small group in America whist completely ignoring other groups that are denied the very same right?

What 'other group that are denied the very same right' is having their case adjudicated by the USSC in June?

When you realize you have no answer, you've just gotten one.

Less than 5% of the population is gay.
Fewer gays than that want to marry.
WAY fewer straights/gays than that want to marry more than one partner.

And yet, a huge number of people are obsessed with it.

Why do so many care so deeply about who other people are marrying?

Skylar makes some very valid points but absolute and unequivocal equality would address much of that. To begin with, if its between consenting adults and harms no one, MYOB.

Take care of and protect the children and MYOB.

Who care?

I've never understood this argument. Why are you guys so damn interested in who gets to marry who?
Why is the left so focused on the rights of one small group in America whist completely ignoring other groups that are denied the very same right?

What 'other group that are denied the very same right' is having their case adjudicated by the USSC in June?

It has already been addressed. The base argument is that gays are denied the right to marry whom they choose. Polygamists are also denied that right. So are those who wish to may incestuously.

This is fact. Sorry that you don't want to use the very same logic that the left uses for gays for all people.

Who care?

It has already been addressed. The base argument is that gays are denied the right to marry whom they choose. Polygamists are also denied that right. So are those who wish to may incestuously.

I'm a big fan of SCOTUS blog. And I just looked up the two questions that the Supreme Court will be answering in June as part of the Obergefell case

1) Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex?

2) Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-state?

http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/011615zr_f2q3.pdf

Neither of these questions address polygamy or incest. Nor have anything to do with either. So why are we focused on gay marriage?

For the same reason the court is: its being decided in a few weeks.

Who care?

I'm a big fan of SCOTUS blog. And I just looked up the two questions that the Supreme Court will be answering in June as part of the Obergefell case

1) Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex?

2) Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-state?

Neither of these questions address polygamy or incest. Nor have anything to do with either. So why are we focused on gay marriage?

Politically speaking, there has been a focus on gay marriage for YEARS. Your deflection is meaningless.

The green party? really? do you even understand how far off and how unrepresented the UK green party even is? They're a bunch of fucking nut jobs.

On another note, why can't incestuous marriage or polygamous marriage be legalized? In my opinion anyone should be able to marry whoever they want, I see no reason why the state has a right to say who can and can't marry as long as they're both legal consenting adults.

Who care?

Politically speaking, there has been a focus on gay marriage for YEARS. Your deflection is meaningless.

I've answered your question directly: why are we focused on gay marriage? Because the supreme court is deciding the issue in June.

If you're going to ignore the very answers you've asked for, then why bother asking?

The green party? really? do you even understand how far off and how unrepresented the UK green party even is? They're a bunch of fucking nut jobs.

On another note, why can't incestuous marriage or polygamous marriage be legalized? In my opinion anyone should be able to marry whoever they want, I see no reason why the state has a right to say who can and can't marry as long as they're both legal consenting adults.

We've already gone over polygamy in this thread and how its fundamentally incompatible with our legal system. All marriage law is predicated on co-equals entering and existing the union of marriage at the exact same time.

Our law has no answers nor precedent for marriages that doesn't follow these two fundamental assumptions. And polygamy doesn't necessarily follow either of them. Where with same sex marriage, you can use the exact same precedent and rules as you do for straight couples.

I've answered your question directly: why are we focused on gay marriage? Because the supreme court is deciding the issue in June.

If you're going to ignore the very answers you've asked for, then why bother asking?
No, you deflected with an answer that is false.

I pointed out that gay marriage has been a MAJOR issue for a very long time - much longer than the SCOTUS case. It is what made the case happen. You ignore that and then demand that I ignored your answer. I didn't ignore your answer - it told you it was false.

We've already gone over polygamy in this thread and how its fundamentally incompatible with our legal system. All marriage law is predicated on co-equals entering and existing the union of marriage at the exact same time.
I'm talking from a moral, not a legal, standpoint.

No, you deflected with an answer that is false.

Nope. I've answered your question directly. And you simply don't like the answer. So you're going to ignore it and make up your own.

Um....so what?

Our law has no answers nor precedent for marriages that doesn't follow these two fundamental assumptions. And polygamy doesn't necessarily follow either of them. Where with same sex marriage, you can use the exact same precedent and rules as you do for straight couples.
No, YOU asserted that it was incompatible. Your assertions do not make something fact.

I'm talking from a moral, not a legal, standpoint.

Morally? I can't see any moral complication with the matter as long as no one is getting hurt. Even religiously, polygamy exists in the Bible. And its practiced around the world.

It seems more a cultural taboo.

No, YOU asserted that it was incompatible. Your assertions do not make something fact.

My 'assertions' were accompanied by at least a dozen examples of fundamental incompatibilities. Questions that our law couldn't answer. Questions that you couldn't answer.

When you can, try again. Until you do, my point stands.