If there is a God...

20 ever since the creation of the world, the invisible existence of God and his everlasting power have been clearly seen by the mind's understanding of created things. And so these people have no excuse:

21 they knew God and yet they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but their arguments became futile and their uncomprehending minds were darkened.

22 While they claimed to be wise, in fact they were growing so stupid

23 that they exchanged the glory of the immortal God for an imitation

25 because they exchanged God's truth for a lie and have worshiped and served the creature instead of the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
I think recycling is serving god more than going to church
Thanks for sharing that.

I love what Sagan said he would ask god if he met him.

Which religion was right?

Why did he go to such great length to hide from us?
If you were serious, I'd explain that to you.

I'm very curious now. Why does god go to great lengths to hide from us?
Why does man go to great lengths to hide from God?

That is too general a question. It also doesn't apply to a great many people. Those who truly believe in a god, particularly if they believe in an omniscient god, won't believe they can hide from god. Those who don't believe in a god won't see anything to hide from. :dunno:

I will say that, if there is an all-knowing, all-powerful god who created the universe and everything in it, who loves humanity, and wants humans to believe in this god so that they can experience some sort of happy afterlife, it seems odd to me that such a being wouldn't be more convincing about its existence.
Sagan asked two really good questions when he met god and they go together

Which god were you and why did you go to such great length to hide from us? How can an atheist be blamed for not believing all 1000 man made religions? Can you blame us for not believing any of them?

And all the modern day religions tell us stories of when god visited or sent his son. Well? Send him again. Cure cancer with your hands. The longer you hide the more I suspect you don’t exist
See Job 40 for God's response to Carl.

That is too general a question. It also doesn't apply to a great many people. Those who truly believe in a god, particularly if they believe in an omniscient god, won't believe they can hide from god. Those who don't believe in a god won't see anything to hide from. :dunno:

I will say that, if there is an all-knowing, all-powerful god who created the universe and everything in it, who loves humanity, and wants humans to believe in this god so that they can experience some sort of happy afterlife, it seems odd to me that such a being wouldn't be more convincing about its existence.

Which god were you and why did you go to such great length to hide from us? How can an atheist be blamed for not believing all 1000 man made religions? Can you blame us for not believing any of them?

And all the modern day religions tell us stories of when god visited or sent his son. Well? Send him again. Cure cancer with your hands. The longer you hide the more I suspect you don’t exist
See the other 999 holy books.

Well, no, you can't. You'd have to read Job 40 to understand why.

Help me out with something though, how is it that you can possess intelligence and not think there is a greater intelligence out there?

Have you read Job Chapter 1?

Help me out with something though, how is it that you can possess intelligence and not think there is a greater intelligence out there?

If you don't mind, I'd like to answer this question.

For me, it's a matter of not knowing. I have not seen evidence which convinces me that there is a 'greater' intelligence out there. That doesn't mean I deny the possibility, it just means I don't believe it to be true yet.

There may be a god or gods, and that could mean something like what humans believe, or something entirely different. I don't think there is convincing evidence one way or another, rather I think there are just a lot of unanswered questions. How did life begin? How did the universe begin? What was before the universe? Does the idea of before even apply to before the universe? Is it possible for a human being to understand enough about reality, to perceive enough, to truly answer some of these questions?

With all that I don't know, it seems arrogant for me to say there must be (or must not be) some sort of intelligent power which created or controls various aspects of reality. :dunno:

lol, you guys are in trouble then.

The world is so complicated it didn't get here by chance.
I realize that experts in their own limited fields always try to squeeze God out of the picture, but somehow, when they're at a convention filled with experts from a few dozen other fields, the phrase, "It's almost as if a God..." always pops up.

I read the Bible. What does job say? Forgive me I read 999 other holy books I couldn’t memorize them all

Wouldn't reading Job as an explanation require believing the Bible is true, first? If someone asks why they should believe one holy text over another, telling them to read from the one holy text seems pretty circular: "How do I know your holy book is the true one? Because the book says so."

I read the Bible. What does job say? Forgive me I read 999 other holy books I couldn’t memorize them all
When you read books that have no consistency, you tend to forget them.
Job is a discussion between 4 friends on the possibility of God vs chance.
God wins, but not by virtue of being the author.
It's a mind bender because it deals with issues that most people today don't realize were being discussed 2,000 years ago.

Wouldn't reading Job as an explanation require believing the Bible is true, first? If someone asks why they should believe one holy text over another, telling them to read from the one holy text seems pretty circular: "How do I know your holy book is the true one? Because the book says so."
No.
The cool thing about Job is that the discussions stand on their own.
And to boot, no one is going to Hell.

I realize that experts in their own limited fields always try to squeeze God out of the picture, but somehow, when they're at a convention filled with experts from a few dozen other fields, the phrase, "It's almost as if a God..." always pops up.

How do you know that the world is too complicated to have gotten here by chance? What metric are you using to make such a determination? Have you watched other times when a world started to come into being by chance, but could not, because it was too complex? Have you studied failed universes in which there was no design, and compared them to ours? Is there some sort of law of reality that states complexity cannot arise from chance?

If you don't mind, I'd like to answer this question.

For me, it's a matter of not knowing. I have not seen evidence which convinces me that there is a 'greater' intelligence out there. That doesn't mean I deny the possibility, it just means I don't believe it to be true yet.

There may be a god or gods, and that could mean something like what humans believe, or something entirely different. I don't think there is convincing evidence one way or another, rather I think there are just a lot of unanswered questions. How did life begin? How did the universe begin? What was before the universe? Does the idea of before even apply to before the universe? Is it possible for a human being to understand enough about reality, to perceive enough, to truly answer some of these questions?

With all that I don't know, it seems arrogant for me to say there must be (or must not be) some sort of intelligent power which created or controls various aspects of reality. :dunno:
Have you seen evidence that there isn't?

Actually god is almost never brought up in a scientific discussion.

But, I will give you this. When you learn how all the planets formed and how life got started it almost does seem like a god had to be involved. Like how did the moon get here? And how the other planets played a roll in life starting on earth. I was watching how the universe works and there may have been a 9th planet that was essential. Anyways, I won’t remember all the details on how the solar system formed it sure does seem heavenly

Why not list 20 of the Holy books you read in the last few years?
Because from prior religion discussions I've had with you I would sooner believe a frog is growing out of my anus.

Because from prior religion discussions I've had with you I would sooner believe a frog is growing out of my anus.
Of course I didn’t read all 999 holy books. You missed the point. Why would I care what’s in your holy book?

Yes I read the Bible. Don’t remember job

Actually god is almost never brought up in a scientific discussion.

But, I will give you this. When you learn how all the planets formed and how life got started it almost does seem like a god had to be involved. Like how did the moon get here? And how the other planets played a roll in life starting on earth. I was watching how the universe works and there may have been a 9th planet that was essential. Anyways, I won’t remember all the details on how the solar system formed it sure does seem heavenly
Go to an Aish Hatorah Convention.
Go to a Chabag Convention.
Observant Jewish organizations have members from the most prestigious scientific universities in the world.
You can even catch their lectures on YouTube.
But we both know atheism is your religion, so why try to bullshit anyone?
Maybe you've spent too much around religions that discuss Hell all the time.

40 The Lord said to Job:
2 “Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
Let him who accuses God answer him!”
3 Then Job answered the Lord:
4 “I am unworthy—how can I reply to you?
I put my hand over my mouth.
5 I spoke once, but I have no answer—
twice, but I will say no more.”
6 Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm:
7 “Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

Of course I didn’t read all 999 holy books. You missed the point. Why would I care what’s in your holy book?

Yes I read the Bible. Don’t remember job
Because you worship yourself and need not contribute your egoism to any forum here that discusses anything but you.

Forum List

Back