If there is a God...

Have you read Job Chapter 1?
I read the Bible. What does job say? Forgive me I read 999 other holy books I couldn’t memorize them all
Why not list 20 of the Holy books you read in the last few years?
Because from prior religion discussions I've had with you I would sooner believe a frog is growing out of my anus.
Of course I didn’t read all 999 holy books. You missed the point. Why would I care what’s in your holy book?

Yes I read the Bible. Don’t remember job
I asked for 20 books to call you on your lie.
Sam I am
Green eggs n ham
Cat In the hat
White fang
Harry Potter 1-5
Lord of the rings 1-5
The hobbit
The Lord of the Rings was written by J.R.R Tolkien, a devout Catholic, and were written in the Christian tradition and full of Christian symbols. In the entire canon of Tolkien’s primary work, three characters emerge in the story as symbols of Christ: Gandalf, Aragorn, and Samwise Gamgee. Unlike Aslan, in C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia, no one character fully embodies the Christ figure of the story; rather, each of these three characters clearly symbolize a different aspect of Jesus Christ.

If there is a god and it purposely made dingbat, well, then GOD HELPS US NOT!!!!! :biggrin:

If you don't mind, I'd like to answer this question.

For me, it's a matter of not knowing. I have not seen evidence which convinces me that there is a 'greater' intelligence out there. That doesn't mean I deny the possibility, it just means I don't believe it to be true yet.

There may be a god or gods, and that could mean something like what humans believe, or something entirely different. I don't think there is convincing evidence one way or another, rather I think there are just a lot of unanswered questions. How did life begin? How did the universe begin? What was before the universe? Does the idea of before even apply to before the universe? Is it possible for a human being to understand enough about reality, to perceive enough, to truly answer some of these questions?

With all that I don't know, it seems arrogant for me to say there must be (or must not be) some sort of intelligent power which created or controls various aspects of reality. :dunno:
Have you seen evidence that there isn't?

No, hence I don't deny the possibility.
Do you believe you live in a deterministic universe?

I don't like the idea of an entirely deterministic universe, but it could be. I don't have a firm belief one way or another. I don't understand a lot of what would go into an answer, such as quantum mechanics.
Do you believe you live in a universe governed by rules and cause and effect?

Yes, there are rules to the universe. Cause and effect usually seems to hold sway, although again, when you get into things like quantum mechanics, they may not always hold true.

Giving up what? I’d do anything for my wife including pretending I have the exact same religious beliefs.

What are you (or were you) willing to give up for God? Keep in mind while some wives may be pleased with a husband's deception, most wives would see it as almost unforgivably insulting. No one dreams that her Prince Charming is actually The Great Pretender.
Depends how religious she is. I dated this really religious girl eventually I would have told her but we broke up before she could take me to church.

If course she threw herself at me. Even without a condom

I read the Bible. What does job say? Forgive me I read 999 other holy books I couldn’t memorize them all
Why not list 20 of the Holy books you read in the last few years?
Because from prior religion discussions I've had with you I would sooner believe a frog is growing out of my anus.
Of course I didn’t read all 999 holy books. You missed the point. Why would I care what’s in your holy book?

Yes I read the Bible. Don’t remember job
I asked for 20 books to call you on your lie.
Sam I am
Green eggs n ham
Cat In the hat
White fang
Harry Potter 1-5
Lord of the rings 1-5
The hobbit
The Lord of the Rings was written by J.R.R Tolkien, a devout Catholic, and were written in the Christian tradition and full of Christian symbols. In the entire canon of Tolkien’s primary work, three characters emerge in the story as symbols of Christ: Gandalf, Aragorn, and Samwise Gamgee. Unlike Aslan, in C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia, no one character fully embodies the Christ figure of the story; rather, each of these three characters clearly symbolize a different aspect of Jesus Christ.
Remember that Indian movie where he’s stranded on a life raft with a tiger and three other animals? Great movie

No I reject anyone telling me their holy book is the one true holy book.

I reject the god you talk about. He’s horrible

First, never in my life have I said, "There is only one true holy book." My testimony about God always centers on His love and mercy.

Yet you reject Him.

You guys questioned my motives the other day or suggested god wouldn’t be happy with me. Why? Does he hate smart people?

What makes a person regard themselves as smart?
If you’re living in the Middle East and you don’t believe Islam. Or if you live in Utah and don’t convert to the Mormon faith.

Or if you agree with the Jews that Jesus was just a man

That is too general a question. It also doesn't apply to a great many people. Those who truly believe in a god, particularly if they believe in an omniscient god, won't believe they can hide from god. Those who don't believe in a god won't see anything to hide from. :dunno:

I will say that, if there is an all-knowing, all-powerful god who created the universe and everything in it, who loves humanity, and wants humans to believe in this god so that they can experience some sort of happy afterlife, it seems odd to me that such a being wouldn't be more convincing about its existence.
The world is so complicated it didn't get here by chance.
I realize that experts in their own limited fields always try to squeeze God out of the picture, but somehow, when they're at a convention filled with experts from a few dozen other fields, the phrase, "It's almost as if a God..." always pops up.
Actually god is almost never brought up in a scientific discussion.

But, I will give you this. When you learn how all the planets formed and how life got started it almost does seem like a god had to be involved. Like how did the moon get here? And how the other planets played a roll in life starting on earth. I was watching how the universe works and there may have been a 9th planet that was essential. Anyways, I won’t remember all the details on how the solar system formed it sure does seem heavenly
How is it that you can possess intelligence and not think there is a greater intelligence out there?
There might be but it’s not this god you guys talk about
How do you know?
The Jews who were supposedly there didn’t convert and start Christianity. In fact they deny it went down the way 11 guys claim it went down

If you’re living in the Middle East and you don’t believe Islam. Or if you live in Utah and don’t convert to the Mormon faith.

These are your requirements for being a smart person? Then a person who grew up among atheists yet believes in God is also a smart person?

These are your requirements for being a smart person? Then a person who grew up among atheists yet believes in God is also a smart person?
Ad hominem + Argument from Authority.

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

Sir Isaac Newton, one of history’s greatest scientists, was not only intensely religious but also believed in alchemical transmutation. Alchemy is, however, fully incorrect given our modern understanding of chemistry, the atom and nucleosynthysis.

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

Reason and eye-witness testimony (evidence) have been present since the dawn of man. Why do you suppose some fight so vigorously against God?

Ad hominem + Argument from Authority.

Sir Isaac Newton, one of history’s greatest scientists, was not only intensely religious but also believed in alchemical transmutation. Alchemy is, however, fully incorrect given our modern understanding of chemistry, the atom and nucleosynthysis.

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.
Like this year’s flu vaccine?

Reason and eye-witness testimony (evidence) have been present since the dawn of man. Why do you suppose some fight so vigorously against God?
If god could be proven to be real then nobody would have any reason to argue against it. Like a tree, it would evident to all. Or do you argue about the existence of trees also? :biggrin:

If god could be proven to be real then nobody would have any reason to argue against it. Like a tree, it would evident to all. Or do you argue about the existence of trees also? :biggrin:
To the few who study in depth.
You must suffer from an attention deficit.
I bet you’re not as flippant when it comes to other disciplines.
What’s your degree in again?
ADD?
I thought so.

ADD?
I thought so.
Cool! I have a groupie! :biggrin:

ADD?
I thought so.
Your degree?

ADD?
I thought so.
Your degree?
Nth. :21:

Just for grins, why not enumerate all the world-wide, multi-cultural debates that take place over something that does not exist? How many other debates are you currently engaged in over something that does not exist? Do you know why there are arguments over adaptation/evolution? Because it exists. If it didn't, there would be no argument. Or, do you disagree? It may be deep in your sub-conscious or spirit, but there is something within you that acknowledges God because if there weren't, you wouldn't be arguing.

Just for grins, why not enumerate all the world-wide, multi-cultural debates that take place over something that does not exist? How many other debates are you currently engaged in over something that does not exist? Do you know why there are arguments over adaptation/evolution? Because it exists. If it didn't, there would be no argument. Or, do you disagree? It may be deep in your sub-conscious or spirit, but there is something within you that acknowledges God because if there weren't, you wouldn't be arguing.
People discuss evolution because some people think that it doesn't exist. Same with god. I originally came here because I wanted to see if any believers had a solid foundation for believing in god, something that I could possibly agree with. I haven't found anything yet, just a bunch of people who seem really bitter when I ask the hard questions because their answers aren't logical and they seem to know it. Very bizarre.

Forum List

Back