If there is a God...

People discuss evolution because some people think that it doesn't exist. Same with god. I originally came here because I wanted to see if any believers had a solid foundation for believing in god, something that I could possibly agree with. I haven't found anything yet, just a bunch of people who seem really bitter when I ask the hard questions because their answers aren't logical and they seem to know it. Very bizarre.

You made my point. There would be no argument if there was no evolution because the topic simply wouldn't come up.

Unfortunately, you do not ask hard questions, you ask vacuous questions--of which you have already chosen to answer for yourself. I fear you may be mistaking bitterness for regret over time and pearls wasted. Shrug.

What we find bizarre is someone who asks questions but refuses to listen or even to hear.

I just read an article from NASA which is partially the inspiration behind this topic:
WMAP- Fate of the Universe
It would seem to suggest that given enough time, all life in the known universe will most likely essentially “freeze” to death.
Now as a preface to this topic I suppose I should set some “assumptions” that I’m making. Let’s say that billions or more years ago, some supremely powerful conscious being created all the particles that exist along with all the rules that govern them; and that being is God.

Given all the messed up stuff that can happen to people, and has happened to people throughout history, and that existence will probably fade into frozen nothingness eventually; I’m having a hard time believing that “God” actually “cares” about us that much. Now I know that most people are good, but I think that’s mostly because it’s evolutionarily advantageous to be “good”. I think I have an innate empathy and conscientiousness for others because that is a trait that fosters cooperation; and human cooperation is a competitive advantage. Simply survival of the fittest.

So I guess I’m going to pose this question to you all: If there is a God (as outlined above) is there any evidence it really cares about you or my well being at a personal level?

No physical evidence that I know of. And yet there are billions of people who do believe in a God(s) through a large variety of religions. Maybe the better question is why do they believe in God when there's no hard evidence to base that belief on. Through out history ever since mankind has evolved enough to think of such things, people have believed in supernatural forces and created some some astounding places based on that strength. Egypt's pyramids for example, thousands of people helped build those things believing they would ascend to their version of an afterlife as a result of the work they did here on Earth. Or so some think anyway.
When you believe God shows you the evidence
Not true. I went from believer to not. That would make your comment wrong because I believed for 40 years. I saw no evidence. The evidence you see is isn’t evidence we would accept.

And omg think about what you’re saying. If you believe in ghosts they will reveal themselves. That’s horse shit! If ghosts want me to believe they need to show me first.

Do you see the insanity of what you’re saying? A skeptic can never believe first.

You guys questioned my motives the other day or suggested god wouldn’t be happy with me. Why? Does he hate smart people?

I’m certain this hypothesis makes us stupid. Or dubpmber than we would be without it. Happier too maybe.
Apparently you never surrendered your all to God

If god could be proven to be real then nobody would have any reason to argue against it. Like a tree, it would evident to all. Or do you argue about the existence of trees also? :biggrin:

Just for grins, why not enumerate all the world-wide, multi-cultural debates that take place over something that does not exist? How many other debates are you currently engaged in over something that does not exist? Do you know why there are arguments over adaptation/evolution? Because it exists. If it didn't, there would be no argument. Or, do you disagree? It may be deep in your sub-conscious or spirit, but there is something within you that acknowledges God because if there weren't, you wouldn't be arguing.
People discuss evolution because some people think that it doesn't exist. Same with god. I originally came here because I wanted to see if any believers had a solid foundation for believing in god, something that I could possibly agree with. I haven't found anything yet, just a bunch of people who seem really bitter when I ask the hard questions because their answers aren't logical and they seem to know it. Very bizarre.
We are responding to your sarcasm which allows us to know you didn’t start this thread to accept anything but what you want to hear.
Now, Mr. Science, why do so many refrigerators get such bad reviews after only 6 months of use in the real world?

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

Reason and eye-witness testimony (evidence) have been present since the dawn of man. Why do you suppose some fight so vigorously against God?

Because it's not real. Why there is no god

Why do you think?

You made my point. There would be no argument if there was no evolution because the topic simply wouldn't come up.

Unfortunately, you do not ask hard questions, you ask vacuous questions--of which you have already chosen to answer for yourself. I fear you may be mistaking bitterness for regret over time and pearls wasted. Shrug.

What we find bizarre is someone who asks questions but refuses to listen or even to hear.

You've never argued about something that doesn't exist? I've done it plenty of times, arguing about fictional characters. :)

And as Taz pointed out, there are quite a few people who argue that evolution is not real.

I just read an article from NASA which is partially the inspiration behind this topic:
It would seem to suggest that given enough time, all life in the known universe will most likely essentially “freeze” to death.
Now as a preface to this topic I suppose I should set some “assumptions” that I’m making. Let’s say that billions or more years ago, some supremely powerful conscious being created all the particles that exist along with all the rules that govern them; and that being is God.

Given all the messed up stuff that can happen to people, and has happened to people throughout history, and that existence will probably fade into frozen nothingness eventually; I’m having a hard time believing that “God” actually “cares” about us that much. Now I know that most people are good, but I think that’s mostly because it’s evolutionarily advantageous to be “good”. I think I have an innate empathy and conscientiousness for others because that is a trait that fosters cooperation; and human cooperation is a competitive advantage. Simply survival of the fittest.

So I guess I’m going to pose this question to you all: If there is a God (as outlined above) is there any evidence it really cares about you or my well being at a personal level?

No physical evidence that I know of. And yet there are billions of people who do believe in a God(s) through a large variety of religions. Maybe the better question is why do they believe in God when there's no hard evidence to base that belief on. Through out history ever since mankind has evolved enough to think of such things, people have believed in supernatural forces and created some some astounding places based on that strength. Egypt's pyramids for example, thousands of people helped build those things believing they would ascend to their version of an afterlife as a result of the work they did here on Earth. Or so some think anyway.
Not true. I went from believer to not. That would make your comment wrong because I believed for 40 years. I saw no evidence. The evidence you see is isn’t evidence we would accept.

And omg think about what you’re saying. If you believe in ghosts they will reveal themselves. That’s horse shit! If ghosts want me to believe they need to show me first.

Do you see the insanity of what you’re saying? A skeptic can never believe first.

You guys questioned my motives the other day or suggested god wouldn’t be happy with me. Why? Does he hate smart people?

I’m certain this hypothesis makes us stupid. Or dubpmber than we would be without it. Happier too maybe.

Let me ask you something. Do you agree with Trump's spiritual adviser?

Recently, a member of President Donald Trump's spiritual adviser team proclaimed that people don't need to get flu vaccinations if they have come to Christ.

Nobody here has been able to show rationally and empirically why a god exists. That bothers you. I understand.

If god could be proven to be real then nobody would have any reason to argue against it. Like a tree, it would evident to all. Or do you argue about the existence of trees also? :biggrin:

Just for grins, why not enumerate all the world-wide, multi-cultural debates that take place over something that does not exist? How many other debates are you currently engaged in over something that does not exist? Do you know why there are arguments over adaptation/evolution? Because it exists. If it didn't, there would be no argument. Or, do you disagree? It may be deep in your sub-conscious or spirit, but there is something within you that acknowledges God because if there weren't, you wouldn't be arguing.
We are responding to your sarcasm which allows us to know you didn’t start this thread to accept anything but what you want to hear.
Now, Mr. Science, why do so many refrigerators get such bad reviews after only 6 months of use in the real world?
Because god can’t make humans who can make a proper fridge? Amirite or AMIRITE?

Let me ask you something. Do you agree with Trump's spiritual adviser?

Recently, a member of President Donald Trump's spiritual adviser team proclaimed that people don't need to get flu vaccinations if they have come to Christ.
Do you think Trump is a saint?

Let’s reverse engineer history.
Tell me the first generation where Othodox Judaism as we know it started.

That's a different way of saying I didn't want it bad enough. Apparently, I'm just not as gullible as you froggy. I wanted it just as bad as you but wanting something to be true has nothing to do with it if you are an intelligent person. What you did was use cognitive dissonance. In other words you are able to put aside the fact that virgins can't get pregnant and no one comes back to life after they've been dead for 3 days. But you believe that and why? Because you gave it your all? Wow! I mean fucking WOW. Maybe I should have clicked my heels 3 times instead of just 2.

I'm sorry but I don't argue religion it's not for me to decide whether you accept it or not that's between you and God

You've never argued about something that doesn't exist? I've done it plenty of times, arguing about fictional characters. :)

And as Taz pointed out, there are quite a few people who argue that evolution is not real.

Both statements make my point.

Nobody here has been able to show rationally and empirically why a god exists. That bothers you. I understand.

Doesn't bother me, but it sure seems to get your goat. What I understand is that many are like people who settle rather than cross an ocean or a prairie. Too many are fearful of letting go of the physical to explore the spiritual. Maybe the difference between us is that I come from pilgrim and pioneer stock. What about you?

Was it also the first time someone pinched a penny? :lmao:

Doesn't bother me, but it sure seems to get your goat. What I understand is that many are like people who settle rather than cross an ocean or a prairie. Too many are fearful of letting go of the physical to explore the spiritual. Maybe the difference between us is that I come from pilgrim and pioneer stock. What about you?
My ancestors were homesteaders.

As for god, I’m still looking for the real thing, you’ve settled for the book version.

Was it also the first time someone pinched a penny? :lmao:
Are you game or are you a confired atheist rather than the agnostic you claim to be?
In other words, are you a liar?

Both statements make my point.

What is your point, then? It seemed to be that arguments would not happen about things that do not exist.

Forum List

Back