If Trump opted to resign and form a 3rd party, would his supporters...

Serious question posed in the thread's title to Trump supporters who are (mostly) republicans and even some right-leaning democrats.

So, given the very real fact that Trump is turning AGAINST the republican led congress while still deriding democrats such as Obama and Clinton, AND given that he is finding it a bit more difficult than expected to drain that proverbial D.C. swamp, Trump may opt to resign and perhaps start a uniquely trump-like 3rd party.........

Would current Trump backers follow him were he to do so?

Interesting question to ponder.

I think we have to objectively look at who makes up "Trump supporters" or who voted for him in 2016. There are always outliers and exceptions but I think we can safely break them down into three basic categories. 1) People who were simply opposed to Hillary Clinton. 2) People who don't trust The Establishment body politic in DC. 3) The Nationalist-Populists.

I think #3 are his die hard supporters and they are solid. #2 are a precarious group who could become disillusioned with Trump if it seems he is becoming aligned with the establishment. #1 is the real bugaboo. Many voted for Trump because he wasn't Hillary and it remains to be seen if they will support him against someone else. In any event, he really can't afford to lose very many supporters BUT, he can also gain supporters from those who may have been reluctant to support him in 2016 but become impressed with his performance.

One thing I think a lot of Democrats have overlooked are the "Trump Democrats." Many blue collar workers across the Midwest who traditionally have voted Democrat and, in fact, may have voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012. I believe this is what ultimately won the election for him. He connected with these people in a way the Democrats haven't found an answer for and don't seem to have a clue as to how they win back.

On to your question. I think Trump could probably pull it off better than anyone in recent memory. Especially if he were able to take a coalition of Senators and Representatives with him. If Trump were to team up with, say, the Freedom Caucus to create a New Conservative Party, they could pose a formidable challenge as a third party. Problem is, Trump has a tendency to use the Freedom Caucus as his whipping boys when things don't go his way. He has simply chosen to show more loyalty to the Establishment side who are controlling the agenda. Now, maybe that's a numbers thing, Trump isn't particularly "political" in terms of ideology. So for all the reasons I think it could happen, there are just as many reasons for me to believe it won't happen.

I think what we need to look at are the 2018 midterms and what transpires there. If the Establishment suffers a backlash, which I think is highly likely, then you will probably see many Establishment types moving more inline with Trump between 2018 and 2020. While Conservatives often find themselves on the other side of legislative initiatives (like repealing ACA) it's not really Trump they are opposing as much as the Establishment. Trump, for all intents and purposes, has been extremely satisfactory in pushing a Conservative agenda. Conservatives have gotten far more from him than they would have with a Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio.

Trump, for all intents and purposes, has been extremely satisfactory in pushing a Conservative agenda. Conservatives have gotten far more from him than they would have with a Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio.

I mostly agree with the exception of the above....

I would think that the two MAIN topics in a conservative agenda would have to include, the repealing of the ACA AND tax reform......

With both these topics, Trump has left it up to a republican congress to conjure up legislation, while he goes golfing......and the dismal results are evident.

Dude, at least once a day, and usually more often, you post a thread about what it will take for the Trump supporters to do X. X is usually abandon Trump, or sometimes it is would they still support him if he rolled a red carpet over the bodies of the peasants before he walked across them?

Well, as Descartes once stated, "I think, therefore I am"........in your case, you choose NOT to think, "....therefore you're a waste of cyberspace."

So because I am not a fan of Hillary, I don't think? Curious conclusion. I said if you posted about the issues, I would probably agree with some of the objections. Let me give you an example of both. Discussing the issues, and posting something worth reading.

Trump on Twitter and his off the cuff remarks. During the campaign it was one thing to have him coming out with pithy comments and snide remarks. However, once he was in the White House, it was time to discipline the message.

The way I explained it to a friend was like this. Let's say you want to talk to the President of Ecuador. So no big deal with modern communications, you pick up the phone and say let me talk to him. But the problem is before you talk to him, you want to make sure you are briefed on everything that you need to know about. That means sitting down with the State Department guy who is in charge of watching Ecuador. It means reading about the Organization of American States to see what if anything the members are saying or thinking about Ecuador. It means you are sitting there with advisors around who are listening in. They are scribbling notes to give you glimpses into what may be missed. Helping you to direct the conversation to where you want to take it.

This prevents you from creating American Policy by the seat of your pants, and helps prevent the term International Relations coupled with the term disaster.

It's not just that, but just about everything. Before you say the police should rough up the baddies, you need to sort of vet the theory. Legal has to take a look and make sure you aren't doing something that is illegal. Your Communications director wants to look and be sure it is part of the overall message, and needs time to brief people who will be out backing up your statement. I'm sure the Department of Justice wants a chance to throw in some thoughts about it, including the Constitutional issues, and the legal precedents.

I am disappointed that the discipline that is needed hasn't yet been managed. Is that disappointment enough for me to say, Gee, we could have had Hillary. Not even close.

It is an area I hoped to see a lot more progress in, and one I hope to see more progress made upon in the future. But no, I still don't want Hillary.

Want me to vote for a Democrat? Fine, give me some issues that don't start with Trump sucks and anyone who voted for him is a traitor, or would be if they were smart enough to spell it. Avoid Anyone who supports Trump is a Nazi. Get clever, say they are like the East German Stasi during the Cold War. That hasn't yet been beaten to death, so you should have a few more months before it is another eye rolling standard comment.

Now do you see how it is done? You take an issue, you outline what is the norm, or the status quo, or the way its usually done. You take the issue and explain why the usual way is a good way. Did you see how I took issue with his way of messaging? Identifying the problem, and the way it really kinda sorta needs to be done for the interest in stability. Now, you can try. Post something about how Trump has dropped the word wall, and fence, and in documents the DHS is now calling the wall a "barrier" as if that is somehow more accurate.

Trump, for all intents and purposes, has been extremely satisfactory in pushing a Conservative agenda. Conservatives have gotten far more from him than they would have with a Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio.

I mostly agree with the exception of the above....

I would think that the two MAIN topics in a conservative agenda would have to include, the repealing of the ACA AND tax reform......

With both these topics, Trump has left it up to a republican congress to conjure up legislation, while he goes golfing......and the dismal results are evident.

Well... Tell me.... What can Trump do? He can't MAKE congress do as he wishes. It's up to Republican leadership to get their ducks in a row and pass some damn legislation. Trump can make phone calls and have pow-wows, but he did that. I don't think Conservatives can fault Trump for failure to repeal Obamacare... AND... neither the first bill or "skinny repeal" was an actual REPEAL of Obamacare anyway.

As for tax reform, we haven't gotten to that yet. Granted, that's a big deal for Conservatives and it remains to be seen if this feckless Republican "Establishment" leadership can get ANYTHING done.

But take congress out of the mix and look at what Trump has done in terms of policy and it's very inline with Conservative philosophy. Immigration policy, getting rid of regulations, ending TPP, improving VA, effective foreign policy, and many other things we wouldn't have had with an establishment Republican or Democrat. I think most Conservatives would say they are pleased and pleasantly surprised thus far.

Serious question posed in the thread's title to Trump supporters who are (mostly) republicans and even some right-leaning democrats.

So, given the very real fact that Trump is turning AGAINST the republican led congress while still deriding democrats such as Obama and Clinton, AND given that he is finding it a bit more difficult than expected to drain that proverbial D.C. swamp, Trump may opt to resign and perhaps start a uniquely trump-like 3rd party.........

He would never resign.

But playing around with your little fantasy for a minute, it would depend on the party platform.

Of course that was the whole point of ‘Trump.’

Trump the ‘anti-Republican,’ Trump the ‘destroyer’ of the Republican ‘establishment,’ Trump the ‘outsider.’

Now the ‘Trump thing’ just makes his supporters and the GOP look foolish and ridiculous.

Of course that was the whole point of ‘Trump.’

Trump the ‘anti-Republican,’ Trump the ‘destroyer’ of the Republican ‘establishment,’ Trump the ‘outsider.’

Now the ‘Trump thing’ just makes his supporters and the GOP look foolish and ridiculous.

Brexit leader: People voted for change with Trump, GOP blocking it
I suggest pulling your head out of your ass once in a while and go to a "news" site other than DailyKOS.nazi.

Ahem, trump won't win an independent run for president from prison

34255302220_69514a8e7e_b.jpg

MarkDuffy

I love that photo but I can't imagine that he will go to jail.
That's the job of minions.
The little people.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

/----/ BWHAHAHAHAHAHA are you drunk? Trump won. Why would he resign and form another party? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ask Mommy to adjust your meds.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think we have to objectively look at who makes up "Trump supporters" or who voted for him in 2016. There are always outliers and exceptions but I think we can safely break them down into three basic categories. 1) People who were simply opposed to Hillary Clinton. 2) People who don't trust The Establishment body politic in DC. 3) The Nationalist-Populists.

I think #3 are his die hard supporters and they are solid. #2 are a precarious group who could become disillusioned with Trump if it seems he is becoming aligned with the establishment. #1 is the real bugaboo. Many voted for Trump because he wasn't Hillary and it remains to be seen if they will support him against someone else. In any event, he really can't afford to lose very many supporters BUT, he can also gain supporters from those who may have been reluctant to support him in 2016 but become impressed with his performance.

One thing I think a lot of Democrats have overlooked are the "Trump Democrats." Many blue collar workers across the Midwest who traditionally have voted Democrat and, in fact, may have voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012. I believe this is what ultimately won the election for him. He connected with these people in a way the Democrats haven't found an answer for and don't seem to have a clue as to how they win back.

On to your question. I think Trump could probably pull it off better than anyone in recent memory. Especially if he were able to take a coalition of Senators and Representatives with him. If Trump were to team up with, say, the Freedom Caucus to create a New Conservative Party, they could pose a formidable challenge as a third party. Problem is, Trump has a tendency to use the Freedom Caucus as his whipping boys when things don't go his way. He has simply chosen to show more loyalty to the Establishment side who are controlling the agenda. Now, maybe that's a numbers thing, Trump isn't particularly "political" in terms of ideology. So for all the reasons I think it could happen, there are just as many reasons for me to believe it won't happen.

I think what we need to look at are the 2018 midterms and what transpires there. If the Establishment suffers a backlash, which I think is highly likely, then you will probably see many Establishment types moving more inline with Trump between 2018 and 2020. While Conservatives often find themselves on the other side of legislative initiatives (like repealing ACA) it's not really Trump they are opposing as much as the Establishment. Trump, for all intents and purposes, has been extremely satisfactory in pushing a Conservative agenda. Conservatives have gotten far more from him than they would have with a Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio.
3) The Nationalist-Populists.

These will drop trump like a turd when they realize his useful idiotness is over. Have you forgotten we have had a bunch in our history?

Our Founding Fathers, aka really smart dudes, knew we were imbeciles and designed a government with that in mind.

This too will pass

These will drop trump like a turd when they realize his useful idiotness is over. Have you forgotten we have had a bunch in our history?

Our Founding Fathers, aka really smart dudes, knew we were imbeciles and designed a government with that in mind.

This too will pass
Are we being lectured by a chimp?

Why in the world would a newly elected republican president consider forming a 3rd party? Does anybody think a 3rd party candidate is electable? Maybe lefties were sleeping through classes about political history where only 3rd party candidates are losers. MacArthur tried it and Ross Perot arguably gave the election to Bill Clinton but neither candidate came close to winning. A more likely scenario is the democrat party disbanding and calling itself the obstructionist party or the hashpipe/transgender party.

This too will pass

All due respect (not much), you, Clayton and Nat aren't exactly objective voices of reason on this. Your judgement is clouded by your emotional dislike of all things Trump. One need only look at the raucous crowd in WV the other day to see that his support has never been stronger.

I'm not a big fan of Nationalist-Populism but it what it is and Trump has tapped into it.

I also think it is a good question, and the answer depends upon who he takes with him from congress as he could not do it alone.

I believe depending upon the platform, many Republican lawmakers and more than a few Democrats would go with him. We all know that politicians can change party's at will. There is nothing that says that they must change from Repubs to Dems, or vice-versa.

Whenever someone says that John Kennedy would loathe todays Democratic party, I remind them that Trump policies closely mirror Kennedy's if you throw out the ACA debate. Almost the exact things that todays liberals despise Trump for supporting, Kennedy supported also.

In any case, let us see how closely Trump begins working with certain individuals in government, and then we will see. I would not put it past him to try it after the midterms, and why not! Most of Washington is a cesspool, both Democrats and Republicans agree on that. They just believe the other side stinks a little more, lol.

Forum List

Back