If U.S government shut down, would anyone care? Enough to force someones hand?

It’s all math.

About 1/2 of the nation doesn’t even vote so they are probably not going to care much because their interest in civics is so lacking that they choose not to participate. They may engage the government but are not going to vote in or vote out whomever they may blame (if they cared).

Of the 1/2 that does vote, most do so without daily engagement with the government. Like when was the last time you were in court? Called the Police? Had to deal with the DMV, JoP, Tax Assessor? If you’re like Most Americans, it’s like once every 4 years or so to renew the license or apply for a marriage license, go through a divorce or deal with a probate matter. A lot of that is online now even. So a small percentage of the half that vote and would notice actually engage the government and would encounter a locked door or closed office.

The stupidity of the “nobody will notice” is that those who do notice are not individuals but plants that pollute our air, harvest our meat, catch the fish that end up in the food chain, etc… They can start cutting corners when they know the regulators are not coming by the office to make sure they are not breaking the law. Nobody would notice for a week or a month. Down the line? probably.

I was thinking of this, outside of the fact that many are committed to wanting a Wall and legitimate immigration reform in the U.S; what if there was a shut down and nobody cared?

I raise this issue as if people see they don't need all the services, it could really backfire. For instance, in Canada we have had a Postal slowdown/near strike for a couple of months, the union timed it for Christmas for maximum impact. Outside of a few gifts which took longer to arrive, I hardly noticed nor cared.

So, how would this play out in reality if Trump decides he needs to play hardball for the sake of U.S Sovereignty?

Play this for US sovereignty?

You, are a moron.

75% of government funding is already done. No one would notice if these functions were shut down.

The only reason why the last shutdown was noticed is because anti American shitstain obama spent a fortune making it painful. He's the one that paid guards to make sure no one looked at the view, no one approached monuments in the park. You won't find that nonsense with the pro American President Trump.

Yes, you will.

We will what? Your post doesn't answer any questions because none were asked. What are you responding to?

Temporarily furloughing something like 15% of the "non-essential" personnel (why are they there in the first place?), who will eventually be paid in full, isn't any kind of "shutdown"....Bunch of media generated hype, weeping, and wailing is about all this is.

Non essential personnel who are furloughed DON'T get paid for the time they aren't at work. The only people who will get back pay and be paid in full are the essential personnel who remain working, but, those essential personnel won't be paid until the government is reopened.

I know. I went through one for 24 days back in the mid 90's. All military personnel were required to come to work, but we missed a payday during that time and some of the lower ranks who lived paycheck to paycheck and had families had to go to Navy Relief for a loan to pay their bills. When the government reopened, back pay was paid, and they paid back Navy Relief.

All the civilians who were furloughed? They called us every morning, wondering if they could come back to work yet. I know that the shutdown hurt quite a few of the civilian workers on base quite a bit financially, they missed out on almost a whole months pay.
Pity the pooooooor, poooooor Washington bureaucrat!....They'll eventually be paid in full for their little vacation.....You get no sympathy from me.

Wrong. If they are furloughed, they don't get paid for the time they are off.

I will politely say that you are quite in error.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump just says, "military is an essential service they will be working as usual...I will be directing $5B to start for them as one of their missions to build a wall and defend National Security between us and any invading nation."

Win/Win. They can try to tie it up in court while the military builds it.

Actually, the military IS considered essential. When the shutdown happened back in the 90's for 24 days, we had to come to work, but we had to wait for the government to reopen before we got our paychecks.

No. You did not as the military was already funded. Your memory is in error.

"Military pay and benefits however were not adversely affected as resolutions were imparted to ensure payments were received as scheduled."

United States federal government shutdowns of 1995–1996 - Wikipedia

75% of government spending has been approved. Let's see what that other 25% is and if we really need it.

Well..........cut off Mueller's budget..........check down with that.

Transportation Security Administration
The airports can now pay for their own security screening at the airport .............check........
Maybe then they will stop groping people at the airport for our own safety.......LOL

Border Patrol
That would suck...........we could do a gofundme account for that one.

You do realize that the TSA is partially funded by taxes paid by people buying airline tickets.

If it really, truly shut down, every agency, every military unit, every employee sent home, not only would I not care I would heartily celebrate.
It will be time for my beloved Texas to:

secession%20bumper%20sticker_zps3gejavpc.jpg

:banana:

Texas, Our Texas...
All Hail the Mighty State....

texass_edited-1_2048x.jpg

I was thinking of this, outside of the fact that many are committed to wanting a Wall and legitimate immigration reform in the U.S; what if there was a shut down and nobody cared?

I raise this issue as if people see they don't need all the services, it could really backfire. For instance, in Canada we have had a Postal slowdown/near strike for a couple of months, the union timed it for Christmas for maximum impact. Outside of a few gifts which took longer to arrive, I hardly noticed nor cared.

So, how would this play out in reality if Trump decides he needs to play hardball for the sake of U.S Sovereignty?

No one cares, except the breathless US media and those living in the D.C. bubble. In fact, I'd like to see 80% of those DC bureaucrats lose their jobs and have to be absorbed into the US mainland. It would be so, so good for them.

I not only do not care, I actively want them to get jobs somewhere that is not DC.

The airports can now pay for their own security screening at the airport .............check........
Maybe then they will stop groping people at the airport for our own safety.......LOL

Border Patrol

You do realize that the TSA is partially funded by taxes paid by people buying airline tickets.
Well now it can be fully funded by the airport. Lol

No one cares, except the breathless US media and those living in the D.C. bubble. In fact, I'd like to see 80% of those DC bureaucrats lose their jobs and have to be absorbed into the US mainland. It would be so, so good for them.

I not only do not care, I actively want them to get jobs somewhere that is not DC.

You do realize that 80% of government employees do not work and live in DC?

The ones in DC are the ones that make the rules so they are not affected by this sort of thing.

Also, 53% of all Fed employees work for either the DOD or the VA.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

75% of government funding is already done. No one would notice if these functions were shut down.

The only reason why the last shutdown was noticed is because anti American shitstain obama spent a fortune making it painful. He's the one that paid guards to make sure no one looked at the view, no one approached monuments in the park. You won't find that nonsense with the pro American President Trump.

Yes, you will.

We will what? Your post doesn't answer any questions because none were asked. What are you responding to?

He said "You won't find that nonsense with the pro American President Trump"

I responded, "yes you will"

In fact talking with a friend of mine the other night who is a national park ranger and they have been told if there is a shut down they will put the gates up and allow no one into the park.

You do realize that 80% of government employees do not work and live in DC?

The ones in DC are the ones that make the rules so they are not affected by this sort of thing.

Also, 53% of all Fed employees work for either the DOD or the VA.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Interesting correlation that comes to mind. Sanctions never affect the rulers, they only punish the common man. Idea being that the common man revolts and pressure or overthrow the ruling class.

So, it is the punishment of the low level employees that will be seen on the news, that we are to be in sympathy with, and we are to demand our rulers tax us more so as to fund the low level parasites.

If it really, truly shut down, every agency, every military unit, every employee sent home, not only would I not care I would heartily celebrate.
It will be time for my beloved Texas to:

secession%20bumper%20sticker_zps3gejavpc.jpg

:banana:

Texas, Our Texas...
All Hail the Mighty State....

texass_edited-1_2048x.jpg
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Border Patrol

Well now it can be fully funded by the airport. Lol

You want hundreds of small companies with no oversight maintaining security. Brilliant idea! Different processes, different procedures, and a workforce tied to one location.

Several LARGE airports have tried their own security. I guess you dont recall all of the problems at the San Francisco airport with the private company running it.

Oh, well! You get hat you pay for!

Yes, you will.

In fact talking with a friend of mine the other night who is a national park ranger and they have been told if there is a shut down they will put the gates up and allow no one into the park.

Where does it say that National Parks would be affected by the shutdown? You assume too much because you are so comfortable being lied to.

tHe funding in question is for Homeland Security. I wasn't aware that the parks fell under that cabinet.

aw , every one that has a delayed paycheck will live and maybe it'll knock some sense into their heads that they should practice PREPARATION for unexpected Disruption in cash flow . Save some money for unexpected events you 'gov' employees . ------- Go TRUMP eh ??

Last edited:

Yes, you will.

Sorry, but that was Obama's strategy.

Forum List

Back