🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

If You Can Help

Cat survivor of Paradise Fire

Cat survivor of fire
SJM-L-FIREDEATH-1112-5.jpg
The poor, poor thing! I wonder whether it is blind now?

Please don't show pics of hurt animals OR people. I won't come back to this thread if it happens. Glad I missed the raccoon too. Which means I will not read this whole thread once I have time to do so. I just don't want to see that. Ever. Which is why I never go in pet threads. Someone always posts a pic of an abused animal. I just flat out can't handle it. Sorry.

Where you at Marion? If that duplex is too small for us...we just might take you up on your offer! GallantWarrior offered us to come to his place but Alaska is too frigging cold!
I even have a travel trailer we can fix up until we can get a small cabin built, too! Or you can hang out in my place, if you like.

I hope that cat is not real. Damn. I don't want to see that at all. I'm already depressed.

They have an emergency shelter set up to help those animals and probably need donations there as well.
Yeah...but now I have to bleach my eyes. I know animals got hurt. I just don't want to see it. It kills pieces of my heart.

I posted one few pages back of a raccoon you must have missed it thankfully.

Thank God mine are like this:

View attachment 230405
THATS what I want to see. Animals happy pics. Thank you.

That poor cat. I will not look at it again but I wonder why a pic was taken of it next to half a bottle of water instead of being wrapped in something and being treated. It just makes me sick seeing that stuff. :(
I hope it is in a vet hospital being taken care of.
It might not let itself be caught, Gracie. At least water and food are being provided.

Sorry. Don't mean to be picky, but I began looking in many places when our ex landord said he wanted his house back. I looked everywhere. Including Bakes. Which is what I call that shithole. Bakersfield is full of gangs, is dirty, has more bad spots than good spots. It would be like living in the bad sections of Detroit..but ALL of Bakes is bad. Even Stockdale is getting awful and that was the IN place to live if you were doomed to live there.
I saw some there with burglar bars.............kinda looked like some bad areas............Just like any city you have to check the crime rates before moving..............knowing where the bad areas are being part of the problem.

True, and if you live in a city like Albuquerque, it has a bad rap for crime rate, BUT. . .most of the crime is restricted to certain neighborhoods. Our neighborhood is friendly, helpful, and the worst thing that has ever happened crimewise is our neighbor's tree got tped--he was then the athletic director of one of our highschools--and one Halloween a kid put a firecracker in our mailbox. I can live with that. :)

Have you looked around Laughlin near Needles.........it's desert there but Laughlin wasn't that bad way back when.

The last time I was in Laughlin it was 120 degrees at least in the shade. I don't think Gracie would like Laughlin. :)
Was just trying to find a closer place to California.............it is the desert there.

Nice. But Sedona is like Morro Bay. Expensive. So I imagine the space rent is unaffordable for us. Which is why we want something on land. Or the space it sits on is purchasable. Rents on space are raised every year. Before we kick off, it could be 1500 per month. Which is why most folks are selling mobile homes in parks. Space rent is atrocious.

Well, that house in Missouri was affordable and they already have tenants renting.

Have you looked around Laughlin near Needles.........it's desert there but Laughlin wasn't that bad way back when.

The last time I was in Laughlin it was 120 degrees at least in the shade. I don't think Gracie would like Laughlin. :)
Was just trying to find a closer place to California.............it is the desert there.

I just remember how unpleasant it was for Gracie in Paradise when the temps hovered around 100 degrees. That would be cool in Laughlin in the summertime. :)

Nice. But Sedona is like Morro Bay. Expensive. So I imagine the space rent is unaffordable for us. Which is why we want something on land. Or the space it sits on is purchasable. Rents on space are raised every year. Before we kick off, it could be 1500 per month. Which is why most folks are selling mobile homes in parks. Space rent is atrocious.

Ya never know until you call to find out for sure. Thing is, most really cheap places aren't advertised on real estate sites and are usually found by either mouth to mouth/friend of a friend.....or by looking thru neighorhoods for signs & calling or knocking on doors. Maybe checking on Craigslist, but you're taking a big chance as it's not as reliable or safe as it used to be, but it is a shot. Ya never know, maybe someone has a small house on their property to rent. You can also try calling real estate companies to help you find a reasonable place...they do rentals as well as sales.

Ya never know until you call to find out for sure. Thing is, most really cheap places aren't advertised on real estate sites and are usually found by either mouth to mouth/friend of a friend.....or by looking thru neighorhoods for signs & calling or knocking on doors. Maybe checking on Craigslist, but you're taking a big chance as it's not as reliable or safe as it used to be, but it is a shot. Ya never know, maybe someone has a small house on their property to rent. You can also try calling real estate companies to help you find a reasonable place...they do rentals as well as sales.

According to our daughter-in-law, who happens to be a licensed real estate agent, your best bet is to contact and establish a relationship with somebody like her in the area you want to be. And he/she will call you when a property like what you are looking for becomes available. The owner usually pays any fee involved in finding a suitable renter or the real estate agent does it as a freebie in hopes the owner will call him/her if s/he decides to sell or the renter will if s/he decides to buy.

Finally got online for a good amount of time. I googled Cheap Places To Buy A Home and so far..I have done Calif and Ore and all are mobile homes in really bad shape.The cheapest that has been found is in Missouri but its winter there now and they are being lamblasted. Nothing like out of the fire and into the freeze, eh? We would have to travel there and see for ourselves...and that wouldn't be until springtime. So buying something seems pretty much out of the question, unfortunately. I love that house Drifter found but...I have no clue what it FEELS like or the hidden conditions they are not telling. And, how would we get there and when? Thats the problem now...time and distance.

I still have arizona and nevada to look at....but both are desert. Why move to a place where I will be miserable? Too old now. I am not young any more and neither is MrG. If we were, we could make a fixer upper look like a tropical paradise but in our ages and lack of funds to do much...I just don't see it happening. But I won't give up. I will keep looking. I figure God will open a door and shut others. I just have to have faith He will send me where I am supposed to go...just like He did when he sent us to Paradise. Now that Paradise is destryoed....where will He send us next? For now..it will be Yuba City with Anne. After that...only God knows and He will lift the uncertain curtain when its time I guess. And who knows...we might after all wind up in Alaska after all. Maybe with all the global problems, it may get warmer! :D

Most all the central valley requires employees to speak spanish.
Well I guess she is going to have to learn to speak Spanish if she wants to work there then...........thanks for clearing that up for me.
I am retired, hon. Getting SS and that ain't much. I didn't want to retire, but nobody would hire me with the ailments I have and MrG is falling apart faster than I am. I could live in my van and did before for 4 months or so, but MrG can't handle it and he would get too darn sick if I forced him to. So...no van living unless I can find a place for him to live and I head out on my own. He refuses to allow that, too. He said without me...he would just fold and die. And he probably would. :(

Anyway...I heard from Angie..the lady that has a house still standing in Magalia. She called today and asked if we woud go there and stay until she could get there and that her tenant that lived in the apartment underneath her house was moving and we could live in that for as long as we like...but....she said she needs 650 per month. I told her I cant afford that and she knew this from 2 years ago when we first moved to Paradise. She forgot. But she also said she could rent it for 650 and I said go ahead. So..Plan B is off the books now. Or was it plan C? I forget cuz I have lots of plans that never pan out. :)

Anyway,,.,,,,looking for mobile homes on their own land or own lot with no space rent is IMPOSSIBLE to find, even googling "manufactured homes on land", for less that 50K. We figure our max limit would be 60K and thats pushing it depending on the down payment and montly mortgage. Realtor dot com and trulia are no help either. They show a lot of mobile homes but never state what the space rent is or if it can be sold with the lot. I can't go to zillow cuz my pc has a hissy from microsoft that its not safe and I don't trust craigslist.

So...next to browse on trulia or realtor is in arizona (desert....ick)....Prescott, Marana, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Cottonwood, Kingman and Sierra Vista. I do not like really big cities. 15k to 30K is doable. This leaves tucson and phoenix out. And I don't want near the border either. Then I will look in Nevada...(ick again), Truckee and Carson City. after that..I might scour Idaho and Colorado but not sure where in Colorado. I have a friend in Cortez so she could go look if I did find something. And..maybe in the spring..if the van is running well...maybe we can toodle off on a 3 day trip to Missouri.

But if we cannot find anything we can buy...at least we are still on the list to go back to Los Osos. IF they don't lose us like the Chico apartments did!

Finally got online for a good amount of time. I googled Cheap Places To Buy A Home and so far..I have done Calif and Ore and all are mobile homes in really bad shape.The cheapest that has been found is in Missouri but its winter there now and they are being lamblasted. Nothing like out of the fire and into the freeze, eh? We would have to travel there and see for ourselves...and that wouldn't be until springtime. So buying something seems pretty much out of the question, unfortunately. I love that house Drifter found but...I have no clue what it FEELS like or the hidden conditions they are not telling. And, how would we get there and when? Thats the problem now...time and distance.

I still have arizona and nevada to look at....but both are desert. Why move to a place where I will be miserable? Too old now. I am not young any more and neither is MrG. If we were, we could make a fixer upper look like a tropical paradise but in our ages and lack of funds to do much...I just don't see it happening. But I won't give up. I will keep looking. I figure God will open a door and shut others. I just have to have faith He will send me where I am supposed to go...just like He did when he sent us to Paradise. Now that Paradise is destryoed....where will He send us next? For now..it will be Yuba City with Anne. After that...only God knows and He will lift the uncertain curtain when its time I guess. And who knows...we might after all wind up in Alaska after all. Maybe with all the global problems, it may get warmer! :D

Consider looking in places that people don't usually consider. The small town nobody ever heard of unless you live around those parts. For instance Borger TX, not desert but nobody's idea of a tropical paradise either, has some fairly good looking rentals for under $600/month. Little town, good people, not much in the way of amenities. Look at Portales NM--small college town but has a LOT of rentals at really affordable prices. Little town, good people, not much in the way of amenities.

I'm not saying this would be in your wheelhouse of places to live, but both west Texas and eastern New Mexico are a lot closer than Missouri. But I am sure there are some great bargains for housing in the tiny towns in Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, etc.and all are within easy driving distance of bigger cities if you need big city amenities. Zillow for instance lists a LOT of houses in livable little towns in Arkansas for anywhere from $250/mo to $500/mo and some of them really look pretty good.

I have to be close to a hospital. MrGs ticker is wonky. But I have been looking at smaller towns. Everything is just atrocious. No wonder so many are homeless.

Just accidentally ran across this place in Boonesville AR which is a stone's throw from where a lot of Hombre's (Mr. Foxfyre) family lives so I am very familiar with the area and I could easily live there. Boonesville has the closest Walmart in that area so everybody drove over there a lot. Big lake nearby and it is in the Ozarks without actually being right in the mountains.

$475/month, 2 bedroom w/detached garage., month-to-month lease, $300/deposit. It will probably be gone by now but that is a good example of the kinds of things available:

546b532067f956a8c3beb9c01ece17df

Rentals.com - Homes for Rent, Apartments, Houses for Rent, Townhomes & Condos

Also Arkansas has all four seasons but fairly mild winters, not horribly hot summers, and is a really pretty state with lots of trees but plenty of rain so wildfires are not a problem.

Forum List

Back