🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

If You Can Help

Housing assistance under IHP includes the following:

• Lodging expense reimbursement for short-term stays.
  • Rental Assistance for temporary housing.
  • Direct Temporary Housing Assistance, which may include:
    • Multi-family lease and repair
    • Direct lease
    • Recreation vehicle (RV)
    • Manufactured housing unit (MHU)
  • Repair or replacement of primary home.
  • Semi-permanent or permanent housing construction.
Read the Individuals and Households Program Fact Sheet (PDF, 132 KB) for more details.

General Program Requirements

You must meet all of the following requirements to qualify:

• You have losses in a presidentially declared disaster area.
  • You have no insurance or have filed an insurance claim, but the damage for all of your losses isn't covered.
  • You or someone who lives with you is a U.S. citizen, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.
  • The affected home is your primary home.
  • You can't access your home or your home requires repairs because of disaster damage.
Certain conditions and limitations apply.

Application Process

To start an application, click Apply Online.
Eagle, Gracie did not own the home. FEMA doesn't seem to apply to renters?
Find Assistance | disasterassistance.gov

I did the questionnaire...........shows rent and came up with 22 possibilities............

Comes down to the requirement of the affected home your primary home requirement

FEMA helps, but it is little, for renters. She should still apply. Every little bit helps.
Housing assistance under IHP includes the following:

• Lodging expense reimbursement for short-term stays.
  • Rental Assistance for temporary housing.
  • Direct Temporary Housing Assistance, which may include:
    • Multi-family lease and repair
    • Direct lease
    • Recreation vehicle (RV)
    • Manufactured housing unit (MHU)
  • Repair or replacement of primary home.
  • Semi-permanent or permanent housing construction.
Read the Individuals and Households Program Fact Sheet (PDF, 132 KB) for more details.

General Program Requirements

You must meet all of the following requirements to qualify:

• You have losses in a presidentially declared disaster area.
  • You have no insurance or have filed an insurance claim, but the damage for all of your losses isn't covered.
  • You or someone who lives with you is a U.S. citizen, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.
  • The affected home is your primary home.
  • You can't access your home or your home requires repairs because of disaster damage.
Certain conditions and limitations apply.

Application Process

To start an application, click Apply Online.
Eagle, Gracie did not own the home. FEMA doesn't seem to apply to renters?

Hit the apply button and do it anyways..............the worst they can say is no..............

What is FEMA Assistance for Renters - Landlord Station

FEMA Grants Help Pay for Damaged Personal Property

If your rental home was destroyed or damaged by a disaster, then the personal property that you had within the home that is deemed to be necessary to live can be repaired or replaced with grant money as well. This typically involves appliances and some furniture items. It does not usually involve the repair or replacement of electronic items like a computer unless that item was essential to the performance of a job, like a creative freelancer working from home or musical equipment for a musician.

Knowing what FEMA grants cover for renters won't make a difficult situation go away, but it can make tolerating it a little bit better. If you believe you qualify for a grant or a low-interest loan, then speak with FEMA today or your local insurance representative to discuss the steps that you may need to apply

I know people that lost homes in Katrina who got very very low interest rates on a loan...........I know that they lost a primary residence but it's worth a shot.............also in Puerto Rico they brought a million to the u.s. and put them up for almost a year here in temp assistance.........

Those programs are out there.............apply apply and apply.............only way to find out.

Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

What are housing choice vouchers?
The housing choice voucher program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies(PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.

local PHA. For further assistance, please contact the HUD Office nearest to you.

Local preferences and waiting list - what are they and how do they affect me?
Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to HUD and the local housing agencies, long waiting periods are common. In fact, a PHA may close its waiting list when it has more families on the list than can be assisted in the near future.

PHAs may establish local preferences for selecting applicants from its waiting list. For example, PHAs may give a preference to a family who is (1) homeless or living in substandard housing, (2) paying more than 50% of its income for rent, or (3) involuntarily displaced. Families who qualify for any such local preferences move ahead of other families on the list who do not qualify for any preference. Each PHA has the discretion to establish local preferences to reflect the housing needs and priorities of its particular community.

Okay I know I know I know there is a long waiting list..........but since this is now incorporated into a FEMA disaster it could give Gracie leverage to move up the list....

The fire made her homeless. Item 1. The Fire made her involuntarily displaced......item 3.

She has to contact them to get special preference due to the disaster...........she can apply for property loses as a result of the disaster from FEMA.........and she can apply for temporary housing assistance as a result of the disaster.

Ok.................one thing here.........she only has 60 days to apply to FEMA from the start of the disaster.......via the video.

Hit the apply button and do it anyways..............the worst they can say is no..............

If your rental home was destroyed or damaged by a disaster, then the personal property that you had within the home that is deemed to be necessary to live can be repaired or replaced with grant money as well. This typically involves appliances and some furniture items. It does not usually involve the repair or replacement of electronic items like a computer unless that item was essential to the performance of a job, like a creative freelancer working from home or musical equipment for a musician.

Knowing what FEMA grants cover for renters won't make a difficult situation go away, but it can make tolerating it a little bit better. If you believe you qualify for a grant or a low-interest loan, then speak with FEMA today or your local insurance representative to discuss the steps that you may need to apply

I know people that lost homes in Katrina who got very very low interest rates on a loan...........I know that they lost a primary residence but it's worth a shot.............also in Puerto Rico they brought a million to the u.s. and put them up for almost a year here in temp assistance.........

Those programs are out there.............apply apply and apply.............only way to find out.

As a renter, Gracie is eligible for loans or grants according to the link. Grants don't have to be paid back.

I thought I saw a post on this thread where a member said he would be able to give Gracie legal advise but I can't find it. Someone with legal experience could give her instructions about paperwork for aid and assistance.

As a renter, Gracie is eligible for loans or grants according to the link. Grants don't have to be paid back.

I thought I saw a post on this thread where a member said he would be able to give Gracie legal advise but I can't find it. Someone with legal experience could give her instructions about paperwork for aid and assistance.
From what I was reading she is eligible for grants to replace lost items.........It also appears she can get housing assistance and can be moved up on the HUD list do to the circumstances.........

But if there are some legal eagles around here their input would be very helpful on this. I agree.

Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

The housing choice voucher program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies(PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.

local PHA. For further assistance, please contact the HUD Office nearest to you.

Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to HUD and the local housing agencies, long waiting periods are common. In fact, a PHA may close its waiting list when it has more families on the list than can be assisted in the near future.

PHAs may establish local preferences for selecting applicants from its waiting list. For example, PHAs may give a preference to a family who is (1) homeless or living in substandard housing, (2) paying more than 50% of its income for rent, or (3) involuntarily displaced. Families who qualify for any such local preferences move ahead of other families on the list who do not qualify for any preference. Each PHA has the discretion to establish local preferences to reflect the housing needs and priorities of its particular community.

Okay I know I know I know there is a long waiting list..........but since this is now incorporated into a FEMA disaster it could give Gracie leverage to move up the list....

The fire made her homeless. Item 1. The Fire made her involuntarily displaced......item 3.

She has to contact them to get special preference due to the disaster...........she can apply for property loses as a result of the disaster from FEMA.........and she can apply for temporary housing assistance as a result of the disaster.
Good work, Eagle. Every penny will help Gracie, I'm sure. It's a lot of paper chasing, but no doubt worth it. It wouldn't surprise me if there are charitable organizations helping, too, outside the government.

Good work, Eagle. Every penny will help Gracie, I'm sure. It's a lot of paper chasing, but no doubt worth it. It wouldn't surprise me if there are charitable organizations helping, too, outside the government.

Good point. The HUD housing Gracie applied for in the last couple of years is full up and she thinks with a 4 to 5 year wait. But if her current circumstances could move her up, it sure couldn't hurt to check that out.

Hi guys. Sorry I have been MIA. Still not feeling up to par but a bit better today. Tomorrow, we check out of this motel 6 and in to travel lodge in yuba city.. its a 2 hour drive to a place I am not familiar with but I have been googling yuba city and marysville and am somewhat familiar now. And at least the freeways here are not as bad as in los angeles!

We have called fema 3 times. They have denied us because the "first report claims I stated we lost nothing". However, I can "file an appeal if I write everything down with proof of loss". So in short...no help from fema. The first woman I spoke to when I called after the fire, I told her I could not hear her..that she was speaking too fast and not clear enough, and to please transfer me to someone else because the connection must be bad, etc. She had a major attitude and refused to transfer me, and continued to talk fast and low while chewing her gum (yes, I could hear that clearly) and chatting with whomever was in the room with her...so maybe she got angry with me and put down that we had no loss. I have no idea and I am tired of trying to speak to a robot on the other end because no human answers now. Just automative crap. Once we get in yuba, I might try again.
Meanwhile, the motel in yuba city will cost us another thousand so the money everyone donated is at least keeping us under a roof for now. We get our ss checks on the 3rd and that will go towards rent for our share of the duplex. Once we get in there, we might get some air mattresses because I want to hang on to these funds for as long as possible. The van is running very well now, has 4 new michelin tires on it, new starter, new battery. I hope the engine continues to purr but if not..that money I hoard will go towards another van. Lets just pray it doesn't come to that!

Anyway...nothing has changed since I was last here. We will probably not go to missiouri....it was mostly wishful thinking. Buying something at our age in our health condition is not making much sense. Renting seems like a better way to go IF we can get the low income rental unit at home. If not....then if we can find someone that has a small apt or granny cottage and doesnt mind two old folks renting with what we can afford until we die...then that is what we plan to do.

So.....I just wanted to pop in and do a quick hello with what little update I have and to tell ya'll we will keep in touch. I will get back online tomorrow once we get in yuba city.

Hugs and love

Gracie and MrG

PS...a friend of mine from Paradise called this morning. Siad she finally found her sister and nephew. Both burned up in their car in their driveway. :(
DNA tests were done and yep..it was both of them. And their two dogs, too. This is just so damn sad.
And..Animal Control in Chico called too. Chloe...Richards 17 year old cat, died in the fire. She was stuck inside the mobile home and there is nothing left of it. Just a bit of metal frame and nothing else. Bad news all around.

I am still looking for ittybit. Animal Control s going to go look one more ti8me for her. Under the road in the pipe next to the house that ittybit liked to hunt in. It would have protected her IF she thought to run in there and hide. So they will go look again and then call me in a few days.

It's good to see you hear Gracie. Best wishes in finding a new home.

Hi guys. Sorry I have been MIA. Still not feeling up to par but a bit better today. Tomorrow, we check out of this motel 6 and in to travel lodge in yuba city.. its a 2 hour drive to a place I am not familiar with but I have been googling yuba city and marysville and am somewhat familiar now. And at least the freeways here are not as bad as in los angeles!

We have called fema 3 times. They have denied us because the "first report claims I stated we lost nothing". However, I can "file an appeal if I write everything down with proof of loss". So in short...no help from fema. The first woman I spoke to when I called after the fire, I told her I could not hear her..that she was speaking too fast and not clear enough, and to please transfer me to someone else because the connection must be bad, etc. She had a major attitude and refused to transfer me, and continued to talk fast and low while chewing her gum (yes, I could hear that clearly) and chatting with whomever was in the room with her...so maybe she got angry with me and put down that we had no loss. I have no idea and I am tired of trying to speak to a robot on the other end because no human answers now. Just automative crap. Once we get in yuba, I might try again.
Meanwhile, the motel in yuba city will cost us another thousand so the money everyone donated is at least keeping us under a roof for now. We get our ss checks on the 3rd and that will go towards rent for our share of the duplex. Once we get in there, we might get some air mattresses because I want to hang on to these funds for as long as possible. The van is running very well now, has 4 new michelin tires on it, new starter, new battery. I hope the engine continues to purr but if not..that money I hoard will go towards another van. Lets just pray it doesn't come to that!

Anyway...nothing has changed since I was last here. We will probably not go to missiouri....it was mostly wishful thinking. Buying something at our age in our health condition is not making much sense. Renting seems like a better way to go IF we can get the low income rental unit at home. If not....then if we can find someone that has a small apt or granny cottage and doesnt mind two old folks renting with what we can afford until we die...then that is what we plan to do.

So.....I just wanted to pop in and do a quick hello with what little update I have and to tell ya'll we will keep in touch. I will get back online tomorrow once we get in yuba city.

Hugs and love

Gracie and MrG

PS...a friend of mine from Paradise called this morning. Siad she finally found her sister and nephew. Both burned up in their car in their driveway. :(
DNA tests were done and yep..it was both of them. And their two dogs, too. This is just so damn sad.
And..Animal Control in Chico called too. Chloe...Richards 17 year old cat, died in the fire. She was stuck inside the mobile home and there is nothing left of it. Just a bit of metal frame and nothing else. Bad news all around.

I am still looking for ittybit. Animal Control s going to go look one more ti8me for her. Under the road in the pipe next to the house that ittybit liked to hunt in. It would have protected her IF she thought to run in there and hide. So they will go look again and then call me in a few days.

Thanks (again) for the updates Gracie. Good to hear about the van, at least.

And for whatever moron clicked a "funny" on your post I apologize on their behalf since they're probably incapable. Y'all keep your heads up. :smiliehug:

Hugs and love

Gracie and MrG

Thanks (again) for the updates Gracie. Good to hear about the van, at least.

And for whatever moron clicked a "funny" on your post I apologize on their behalf since they're probably incapable. Y'all keep your heads up. :smiliehug:

Thank you.

Forum List

Back