🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

If You Can Help

Grass Valley....1bd 1ba $345. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_re...-120.598297,37.966937,-123.059235_rect/8_zm/?

And there's really no reason to wait until spring. If you're worried about weather with snow & ice then go south to I-40 and go east. It can take you as far as the east coast if you wanted. You should miss most inclement weather except maybe a few patches if it goes thru mountains. When you stop for breaks ask any of the locals about cheap places to rent or look for a local newspaper.

We've all given you plenty of ideas and options, but there's only so much any of us can do for you. Now it's up to you to make some decisions and follow thru on it, before that money is gone and you're back in the van. :smiliehug:

We are now in Yuba City. Busy little town. I am so glad to be out of that nasty motel 6. Some crazy guy was riding his bike along the top floor balcondy screaming at himself. Staff finally told him to get gone but by the time they did, everyone was awakened. Same group of people who stay drunk always gather just under our room, whooping and hollering. Such a noisy place.

The Travel Lodge is much better...but more expensive. We are paid up until the 5th. I hope it doesn't go beyond that because this is way too much money although a much quieter motel...and it has a BATHTUB!!! Guess what I am going to do tonight? SOAK!!!!

Justanothernut....thank you for looking but I have a place to go. The duplex. Just not until the 10th although I am hoping sooner. Anne used to own it but sold it to her sister. The lady that lived there gave notice and Anne's sister said we 3 can rent it for as long as we like. So..the plan now is for Anne to have one room, MrG and I the other room, share the apartment for a few mnonths. Anne is still deciding on whether to rebuild in Paradise or buy another home in Marysville or within its location since her sister is nearby and she wants to be closer to her family. She is still musing on it, and she cant do anything until her insurance pays her. She said we can stay with her until home calls..which is another year at least. Whether this will stay in affect is anyones guess. Things change all the time.

The homes I was showing y'all were mostly dreaming of what I wish could be. Nothing more. Just dreams. And yes..I was freaking out often, mainly because I guess I am still in shock. I have my up moments and my down moments. Y'all are just going to have to bear with me like MrG does, lol.

Anyway...we are about 10 minutes from our new soon to be home. Redding was nice but Yuba City "feels" good. Don't know why. At least, for now it feels right. :)

We are now in Yuba City. Busy little town. I am so glad to be out of that nasty motel 6. Some crazy guy was riding his bike along the top floor balcondy screaming at himself. Staff finally told him to get gone but by the time they did, everyone was awakened. Same group of people who stay drunk always gather just under our room, whooping and hollering. Such a noisy place.

The Travel Lodge is much better...but more expensive. We are paid up until the 5th. I hope it doesn't go beyond that because this is way too much money although a much quieter motel...and it has a BATHTUB!!! Guess what I am going to do tonight? SOAK!!!!

Justanothernut....thank you for looking but I have a place to go. The duplex. Just not until the 10th although I am hoping sooner. Anne used to own it but sold it to her sister. The lady that lived there gave notice and Anne's sister said we 3 can rent it for as long as we like. So..the plan now is for Anne to have one room, MrG and I the other room, share the apartment for a few mnonths. Anne is still deciding on whether to rebuild in Paradise or buy another home in Marysville or within its location since her sister is nearby and she wants to be closer to her family. She is still musing on it, and she cant do anything until her insurance pays her. She said we can stay with her until home calls..which is another year at least. Whether this will stay in affect is anyones guess. Things change all the time.

The homes I was showing y'all were mostly dreaming of what I wish could be. Nothing more. Just dreams. And yes..I was freaking out often, mainly because I guess I am still in shock. I have my up moments and my down moments. Y'all are just going to have to bear with me like MrG does, lo

Anyway...we are about 10 minutes from our new soon to be home. Redding was nice but Yuba City "feels" good. Don't know why. At least, for now it feels right. :)

It starts with a Y, that's why. ;)

Not many people get to live in a town that starts with a Y. Ask anyone in Ypsilanti.

Oh.....and the internet? Zips along! Even the laptop lkes this motel better, lol.

Its got 62K people here. Paradise was just under 27K. But, I will familiarize myself with it as fast as I can. :)

Anne is coming by the motel in a few iwth her sister. She went to Chico to check the chickens they found that were hers and to take a quick look for IttyBit too, in case she has been found the past day. I look online every day, but it never hurts to look as often as possible. Tomorrow, we all go to the duplex so MrG and I can see it. Then we will go hit the social services office and get on another medical plan for us since we are no longer in Butte County. Find doctors, etc. Anyway you look at it, here we will stay for a least a few months and probably more. Once Anne gets her eyes corrected, a drivers licence, a car..then things may change. But for now....we are connected to her, and she to us. For now. As I said...things change too often to suit me, but its something I am constantly aware of. Never take anything for granted any more.

The homes I was showing y'all were mostly dreaming of what I wish could be. Nothing more. Just dreams. And yes..I was freaking out often, mainly because I guess I am still in shock. I have my up moments and my down moments. Y'all are just going to have to bear with me like MrG does, lol.

I just hope this duplex works out for you guys.

I know it would drive me nuts not to have a place of my own, or the control of the situation...…..but had to rely on someone else's decisions of where, how long and how much

Its got 62K people here. Paradise was just under 27K. But, I will familiarize myself with it as fast as I can. :)

Anne is coming by the motel in a few iwth her sister. She went to Chico to check the chickens they found that were hers and to take a quick look for IttyBit too, in case she has been found the past day. I look online every day, but it never hurts to look as often as possible. Tomorrow, we all go to the duplex so MrG and I can see it. Then we will go hit the social services office and get on another medical plan for us since we are no longer in Butte County. Find doctors, etc. Anyway you look at it, here we will stay for a least a few months and probably more. Once Anne gets her eyes corrected, a drivers licence, a car..then things may change. But for now....we are connected to her, and she to us. For now. As I said...things change too often to suit me, but its something I am constantly aware of. Never take anything for granted any more.

Gracie.....I've been seeing on our local news about animal services (or whoever it is) bring pets from the wildfires here (and other states as well) for adoption. I was really surprised that they had been doing this so soon after the fires (within days) & how did they know who's pet went with what owner, etc to verify the pet was no longer wanted. Make sense??? I am wondering if some of the pets like Itty Bit, got caught up in that by mistake?????

The homes I was showing y'all were mostly dreaming of what I wish could be. Nothing more. Just dreams. And yes..I was freaking out often, mainly because I guess I am still in shock. I have my up moments and my down moments. Y'all are just going to have to bear with me like MrG does, lo

Not many people get to live in a town that starts with a Y. Ask anyone in Ypsilanti.

Are jou sure about that?

Are jou sure about that?

YYYYYYYYYYYYYup.

Yanno I bet if it doesn't pan out Gracie would be just as happy in Yorba Linda. Never been there but I can tell it's pretty.

Facebook had a post today that said anyone with proof that they lived in Paradise can get just about anything a Goodwill has to offer. Vehicle registration, driver's license, maybe a state medical coverage card?

I just wanted to come back long enough to explain why I am so up and down. Escaping that fire is the scariest thing I ever had to do. It affected me in ways I am not sure how to handle. Yes, we are alive and should be thankful. Anne is alive. So are 3 animals, not counting the 2 chickens someone else found for her. All my new friends are scattered to the four winds. One had her sister and nephew burn up in their car trying to escape which could have been us and came close to being us. We lost everything all over again. We are old, sick, have medical issues and it doesn't help that MrG is now having panic attacks. Everything is falling on me to deal with. Me. I guess I am strong enough to deal with it, but my brain and heart is having a helluva time.

I really really really do not like accepting money from folks. It was the way I was raised. If I can't do it myself, why the heck should someone else do it for me? But sometimes....it has to be accepted. And its very very VERY appreciated but it still bugs me. So I have these issues and this board and the people in it are my online family. I pour things out to you I don't share with friends in Paradise I lost..or MrG, or even my real family which amounts to my sister in law and brother in law. I tell Drifter. Or Kat. Or you. I pour it out here. Because here, I can. In real life..I'm the one that does the driving, the mapping of where things are, the hauling people around, the assisting others lost in limbo that went thru the same things we did. Me. And I will do it as long as I can but dammit...sometimes I just need to be weak.

I cannot rent just any apartment anywhere. Remember, I am an ex property manager. I know how things work. If I rented from anyone anywhere, most apts that are cheap enough for us to afford do NOT do 1 year leases. They don't even do 6 months leases. They are all month to month. So that apt that looks mighty fine to those that are not currently in my burned shoes think I am not doing enough. Yes, I am. I have to have Low Income Housing. It is federally funded. The rent CANNOT be raised. I can live there for 20 years at the same rate with no jacking up of that rent at the whim of the scumlord renting it out willy nilly. So those places for 325 per month, I wouldn't put my dog in if I had a dog. And I will not put my husband in one either. And yes...its up to me, because all this HAS been on me. When we first had to move from our home of 30 years, it was up to me, too. I found Paradise. I found RJ. I found Anne. I did it all. And I am still doing it. And I am tired. I will be honest and spill even more to you than what MrG or anyone else has no clue about...and that is I still sit in my car while he is asleep, Anne is safe with her sisiter, and I sit there smoking smoking smoking and staring at my 38. Would I do it? Oh hell no. But sometimes I wish I could. These are the down times I speak of. Tomorrow will be an up day. Up. Down. Up. Down. But this is what happens when one goes thru what I just went thru. Flames. Fire. Death. Loss. Uncertainty. It does a number on someones mind. So don't go getting any wild ideas that I am going to off myself. I just THINK about it. Who hasn't at some time in their life when things were at their lowest? I am no different. And...to unburden myself from these thoughts..I tell you. Nobody else within arms length in real life. Its my private thoughts.

So again...I cannot express enough just how much I appreciate your help. We will survive this. We have enough money now to at least get safer than we are now and my van is purring like a kitten and happy with her 4 new shoes (tires). And on the 10th..MAYBE the 7th if things go smoothly, we will be in an apt for awhile. After that, who knows. IF we wind back up in the van..then maybe that is what we are supposed to do. God has plans I have no clue about and I am doing the best I can with what He gives me or sends me to do. IF we don't stay with Anne due to whatever reason (it has to be HER decision, not ours)...then we will go to Arizona to be with MrGs brother for awhile. That will be an awful experience, but as I said..beggars can't be choosers.

For anyone thinking I am relying on you to do my work for me...no. That is not correct. I am doing what I think best for our circumstances and nobody really knows what its like to be in Gracie or MrGs shoes. And I hope you never do experience this. Ever.

Bless you all..and good night. Tomorrow is a busy day. Finding new docs. Getitng new health coverage since we are in a different county now, learning the city in what is safe to go to and what is not safe, etc. Busy day. I like busy days. Keeps me UP. Not down. And knowing ya'll are here and hearing me...being the shoulders I need to lean on now and then, but wishing I didn't have to.

Hugs

Facebook had a post today that said anyone with proof that they lived in Paradise can get just about anything a Goodwill has to offer. Vehicle registration, driver's license, maybe a state medical coverage card?
Already did it, hon. Did it in Redding the second day we were there. We got 50 bucks each. We got clothes we desperately needed. Oh, and a collar and leash for Casey.:)

I just wanted to come back long enough to explain why I am so up and down. Escaping that fire is the scariest thing I ever had to do. It affected me in ways I am not sure how to handle. Yes, we are alive and should be thankful. Anne is alive. So are 3 animals, not counting the 2 chickens someone else found for her. All my new friends are scattered to the four winds. One had her sister and nephew burn up in their car trying to escape which could have been us and came close to being us. We lost everything all over again. We are old, sick, have medical issues and it doesn't help that MrG is now having panic attacks. Everything is falling on me to deal with. Me. I guess I am strong enough to deal with it, but my brain and heart is having a helluva time.

I really really really do not like accepting money from folks. It was the way I was raised. If I can't do it myself, why the heck should someone else do it for me? But sometimes....it has to be accepted. And its very very VERY appreciated but it still bugs me. So I have these issues and this board and the people in it are my online family. I pour things out to you I don't share with friends in Paradise I lost..or MrG, or even my real family which amounts to my sister in law and brother in law. I tell Drifter. Or Kat. Or you. I pour it out here. Because here, I can. In real life..I'm the one that does the driving, the mapping of where things are, the hauling people around, the assisting others lost in limbo that went thru the same things we did. Me. And I will do it as long as I can but dammit...sometimes I just need to be weak.

I cannot rent just any apartment anywhere. Remember, I am an ex property manager. I know how things work. If I rented from anyone anywhere, most apts that are cheap enough for us to afford do NOT do 1 year leases. They don't even do 6 months leases. They are all month to month. So that apt that looks mighty fine to those that are not currently in my burned shoes think I am not doing enough. Yes, I am. I have to have Low Income Housing. It is federally funded. The rent CANNOT be raised. I can live there for 20 years at the same rate with no jacking up of that rent at the whim of the scumlord renting it out willy nilly. So those places for 325 per month, I wouldn't put my dog in if I had a dog. And I will not put my husband in one either. And yes...its up to me, because all this HAS been on me. When we first had to move from our home of 30 years, it was up to me, too. I found Paradise. I found RJ. I found Anne. I did it all. And I am still doing it. And I am tired. I will be honest and spill even more to you than what MrG or anyone else has no clue about...and that is I still sit in my car while he is asleep, Anne is safe with her sisiter, and I sit there smoking smoking smoking and staring at my 38. Would I do it? Oh hell no. But sometimes I wish I could. These are the down times I speak of. Tomorrow will be an up day. Up. Down. Up. Down. But this is what happens when one goes thru what I just went thru. Flames. Fire. Death. Loss. Uncertainty. It does a number on someones mind. So don't go getting any wild ideas that I am going to off myself. I just THINK about it. Who hasn't at some time in their life when things were at their lowest? I am no different. And...to unburden myself from these thoughts..I tell you. Nobody else within arms length in real life. Its my private thoughts.

So again...I cannot express enough just how much I appreciate your help. We will survive this. We have enough money now to at least get safer than we are now and my van is purring like a kitten and happy with her 4 new shoes (tires). And on the 10th..MAYBE the 7th if things go smoothly, we will be in an apt for awhile. After that, who knows. IF we wind back up in the van..then maybe that is what we are supposed to do. God has plans I have no clue about and I am doing the best I can with what He gives me or sends me to do. IF we don't stay with Anne due to whatever reason (it has to be HER decision, not ours)...then we will go to Arizona to be with MrGs brother for awhile. That will be an awful experience, but as I said..beggars can't be choosers.

For anyone thinking I am relying on you to do my work for me...no. That is not correct. I am doing what I think best for our circumstances and nobody really knows what its like to be in Gracie or MrGs shoes. And I hope you never do experience this. Ever.

Bless you all..and good night. Tomorrow is a busy day. Finding new docs. Getitng new health coverage since we are in a different county now, learning the city in what is safe to go to and what is not safe, etc. Busy day. I like busy days. Keeps me UP. Not down. And knowing ya'll are here and hearing me...being the shoulders I need to lean on now and then, but wishing I didn't have to.

Hugs

Gracie. You do not have to explain a darn thing to any of us. We are helping because we WANT to help. Please do not let that bug you. Just continue to do what it is you need to do. We are here.

Already did it, hon. Did it in Redding the second day we were there. We got 50 bucks each. We got clothes we desperately needed. Oh, and a collar and leash for Casey.:)

Hi Gracie, I'm new here and don't know anyone but have been reading your story and your posts. Just want to say that I hope that things improve for you. Cannot even begin to imagine what a horrible experience you and yours have been through. Pls don't feel bad about the $ we've donated; you know that when the time comes you'll be helping someone else out to "pay it back," just like we all have been helped out ourselves when life turned to shit. About the .38 -- yep, been there, thought that too. All I can say is what got me through the dark times. In the immortal words of Scarlett O'Hara: "I'll think about it tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day, fiddle-dee-dee."

Good morning!
Better internet here!!! Its so fast and steady, I can watch netflix!!! Frasier is really good for the soul in times like these. That show makes me laugh :D

Anyway...had coffee and a small continental breakfast downstairs in the little room this place provides for such things....TWO cups of coffee, too. We are out of here for some hours today...first to pick up Anne at the duplex (still being worked on but we are allowed to go see it), then to the apt mgment office to fill out the applications and pay the deposit with Anne, then take her back to duplex so she c an ride back home to her sisters in Lincoln, then MrG and I will be off to explore Marysville and Yuba City. Oh, then we need to find the social services office and re apply for docs, dentists, etc. New county, new everything, lol.

Sorry about my post last night. I half ass regret posting it, half ass am glad I did because I let loose stuff that needed to be lanced. I have to do that now and then otherwise I will erupt.

Oh, and welcome to USMB Aurora Woman! Sorry to have had to meet you this way, but still glad to meet you! :)

Good morning!
Better internet here!!! Its so fast and steady, I can watch netflix!!! Frasier is really good for the soul in times like these. That show makes me laugh :D

Anyway...had coffee and a small continental breakfast downstairs in the little room this place provides for such things....TWO cups of coffee, too. We are out of here for some hours today...first to pick up Anne at the duplex (still being worked on but we are allowed to go see it), then to the apt mgment office to fill out the applications and pay the deposit with Anne, then take her back to duplex so she c an ride back home to her sisters in Lincoln, then MrG and I will be off to explore Marysville and Yuba City. Oh, then we need to find the social services office and re apply for docs, dentists, etc. New county, new everything, lol.

Sorry about my post last night. I half ass regret posting it, half ass am glad I did because I let loose stuff that needed to be lanced. I have to do that now and then otherwise I will erupt.

Oh, and welcome to USMB Aurora Woman! Sorry to have had to meet you this way, but still glad to meet you! :)

For me and I think most of the rest, we WANT to help. There is absolutely no strings attached to it at all. If anything, I wish I could do much more, but distance, time and money limit me. Last year I was on unemployment for 13 weeks. It was a bridge to a new job. Glad to have it, glad to get off it.

You have done enough, SL. So has everyone. We thank you so much!! You have literally been a lifeline!

Saw the duplex today. Very small...but cute. Nice private separated back yard with TWO trees for me to sit under and hang hummer feeders. Quiet area. Not a bad neighborhood. Drove around a bit, got a feel for the place. It sorta reminds me of my childhood home town. It "felt" good. Not a rich neighborhood..not a poor one. Kind of in between. Anne and us went to lunch and chatted and she spoke with her insurance while we waited for our food. We also signed the paperwork at the mgment office, who tried to recruit me and MrG, lol, as property managers. I said we were retired and when we can't do our jobs any more then we also have to move..to which they nodded and said they understood. But it was nice to have someone a complete stranger renting us a place Annes sister owns and want us on their team, lol. I said we would be available if they have any questions....or need someone as an off site temp person to manage something IF they knock off the rent! They smiled and said they would definetly keep that in mind. :)

Meanwhile..I adore the small back yard. I look forward to getting birds to visit me, with some small flowiering plants and a chair and small table to hang out there since I loathe being cooped up indoors. Overall...I am excited to get in there and be able to COOK our own meals!!

You have done enough, SL. So has everyone. We thank you so much!! You have literally been a lifeline!

Saw the duplex today. Very small...but cute. Nice private separated back yard with TWO trees for me to sit under and hang hummer feeders. Quiet area. Not a bad neighborhood. Drove around a bit, got a feel for the place. It sorta reminds me of my childhood home town. It "felt" good. Not a rich neighborhood..not a poor one. Kind of in between. Anne and us went to lunch and chatted and she spoke with her insurance while we waited for our food. We also signed the paperwork at the mgment office, who tried to recruit me and MrG, lol, as property managers. I said we were retired and when we can't do our jobs any more then we also have to move..to which they nodded and said they understood. But it was nice to have someone a complete stranger renting us a place Annes sister owns and want us on their team, lol. I said we would be available if they have any questions....or need someone as an off site temp person to manage something IF they knock off the rent! They smiled and said they would definetly keep that in mind. :)

Meanwhile..I adore the small back yard. I look forward to getting birds to visit me, with some small flowiering plants and a chair and small table to hang out there since I loathe being cooped up indoors. Overall...I am excited to get in there and be able to COOK our own meals!!

Let us know when supper's ready. I'm hungry!

268x0w.jpg

Forum List

Back