If you find a bag of Money and Keep it are you a "Thief"?

If it's a small amount of cash ( < $100 ) and there's absolutely no way to find the owner, then I don't see where the harm is in keeping it.
Anything larger than that is probably worth hanging on to for a while, but keeping your eyes open for anyone looking for it.
If there's a way of positively identifying the rightful owner, no matter the amount, giving it back is the moral thing to do.

This topic reminds me of a movie I think it was called a simple plan where three guys come across a plane that crashed in the woods and find a shitload of money on it which was likely do to drugs or something else illegal. They decide to take the money keep quiet and split it between them suffice it to say that didn't work out very well so give to the police or walk away.

What a great fucking movie that was
Did I have the title right?

Yeah, but I think it was about a guy robbing his dad who owned a jewelry store. I could be wrong but either way that movie was awesome

We're not talking about cars...keep up

Feel free to point out the legal or moral distinctions between property that is cash and property that is a car when it comes to theft versus 'finders keepers'?

Ok, Can you drive a small amount of car? Can you find a small amount of money?

Now if you need an explanation further than that then my answer is No Bitch

So you can't find any legal or moral distinctions?

Taking a bag of money because it is sitting on the ground unattended is no different- morally or legally- than taking a car left unattended with the keys in it.

Sure it is. A car's owner is registered.

That just means that there is a record of ownership for the car- so authorities can track down the legal owner more easily than an unregistered bag of money.

It doesn't change the legal or moral implications just because you don't know whose money it is.

That's what we call. "The difference"

http://7online.com/news/atm-employe...-lawn;-police-seek-person-who-took-it/886443/

MAHWAH POLICE SEEK THIEF WHO STOLE $150,000 CASH AFTER ATM EMPLOYEES LEFT MONEY UNATTENDED

So, the ATM pickup guy leaves a bag of money on the side of the road. Some other guys pick up the bag and it looks like they didnt know what was in it to begin with.

Does that technically make you a thief? Even the news guy asked the police "Was a crime committed?"
Nope...It must be returned to the rightful owner.
To keep the money is theft.

Yes you see if it is not yours you do not have the right to take it.

Have you ever found money? Did you return it everytime?
I knew this was coming.
It is not an all encompassing issue.
The money was clearly not "lost"...The money was in a bag specific to safeguarding and carrying cash. Obviously, the bag and its contents is no small matter. As would be a ten or twenty dollar bill. Very big difference.

This topic reminds me of a movie I think it was called a simple plan where three guys come across a plane that crashed in the woods and find a shitload of money on it which was likely do to drugs or something else illegal. They decide to take the money keep quiet and split it between them suffice it to say that didn't work out very well so give to the police or walk away.

Yeah, but I think it was about a guy robbing his dad who owned a jewelry store. I could be wrong but either way that movie was awesome
I just did a google search it was the guys finding the plane stiil very good movie. Two of the main characters were played by Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton.

I would assume that a large amount of cash belongs to a drug dealer and I wouldn't even touch it, I'd leave it where it was.

I just did a google search it was the guys finding the plane stiil very good movie. Two of the main characters were played by Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton.

I just did the same....1998 tho? I didn't think it was that old. That shit went from bad to worse as the story went on

I look at this from a couple different perspectives.
In the bag, especially one with identifying marks, the money goes back.
If I find it scattered about on the street or where ever, I think its "found" money.
Or if I'm digging a hole in my yard and uncover a box. I dig up the box and it's full of cash. It's mine to keep.

Yes.

I am rather saddened by the fact you could not anticipate similar responses. The world is not quite as bad as you think it is.

You're saddened? You need to get out more. Of course I thought some would say yes and some would say no...because oh sad one, those are the only 2 choices. Run along and dont play with the razors today.
Face it. You are a dishonest individual. Shame on you.

http://7online.com/news/atm-employe...-lawn;-police-seek-person-who-took-it/886443/

MAHWAH POLICE SEEK THIEF WHO STOLE $150,000 CASH AFTER ATM EMPLOYEES LEFT MONEY UNATTENDED

So, the ATM pickup guy leaves a bag of money on the side of the road. Some other guys pick up the bag and it looks like they didnt know what was in it to begin with.

Does that technically make you a thief? Even the news guy asked the police "Was a crime committed?"

If you find a car open with the car keys in it- and drive off with it- does that technically make you a car thief?
Yes...What do you think?

Finders keepers; besides the money is FDIC insured.
Only Deposits in banks are insured by the FDIC. And only up to $125,000 per individual account.
In this case since the cash was not inside a bank, the money is subject to a claim to be filed by the carrier. Presumably....
And suppose the money is insured. So what? It's still theft. Better still, if the money is insured, the thief can be charged with insurance fraud. That is a federal crime. Much longer and harsher sentence. Please!!!!

Brother was teaching school and some kids found a wallet on the way home from school and turned it in....the next week on the school's announcements, the Principal called the kids up and congratulated them and stated he was sure any other student would do the same. My brother said that he could hear the laughter throughout the campus and one of his own students was laughing the loudest and calling the boys fools for turning the wallet in.

Two weeks later, that same kid lost his wallet during recess and was appalled and complained that no one turned it in.

Karma.
Gotta love the karma there!

Yes.

I am rather saddened by the fact you could not anticipate similar responses. The world is not quite as bad as you think it is.

You're saddened? You need to get out more. Of course I thought some would say yes and some would say no...because oh sad one, those are the only 2 choices. Run along and dont play with the razors today.

Yes an open ended question is as dishonest as it gets. Hopefully your sadness is increased.

Only Deposits in banks are insured by the FDIC. And only up to $125,000 per individual account.
In this case since the cash was not inside a bank, the money is subject to a claim to be filed by the carrier. Presumably....
And suppose the money is insured. So what? It's still theft. Better still, if the money is insured, the thief can be charged with insurance fraud. That is a federal crime. Much longer and harsher sentence. Please!!!!

If a bank makes a mistake with a depositors account and refuses to rectify it's error, blaming the depositor instead for it's error...is that theft?

If you find money, and you tell people that you found it, you are a fool.

That said if I found money and there was a way to know who's it was, I would not keep it. Like a wallet or a bank sack.
Rule number one regarding a financial windfall.....KEEP IT QUIET..
Don't spend any of it. Don't change lifestyle. Don't show off.
First thing is take the proceeds and find an investment or set up a revocable trust. because sooner or later someone is going to want that money and then haul you into court to get it.

Yes.

Yes an open ended question is as dishonest as it gets. Hopefully your sadness is increased.
Oh please. Don't play games. You'd keep the money and not feel anything bad about it.

If a bank makes a mistake with a depositors account and refuses to rectify it's error, blaming the depositor instead for it's error...is that theft?
"Refuses" to rectify the error? Please elaborate.

Forum List

Back