If you go back a few years ago, i had warned everyone that EV Batteries dont work well under extreme conditions. I told ya so.

Mikeoxenormous

Diamond Member
May 6, 2015
Floor E Da
MSN
X user Mark Boharichuk took to the platform to claim drivers of EVs, like the new Chevrolet EV, were struggling to charge their cars in the cold. He wrote: "Took my wife into work today for safety's sake. It's -45 this morning.
"The fellow said his trip to Saskatoon from Kelowna takes about 3 times longer for charging time (sitting time). His charges today were about $100 and two hours of sitting with heaters on and the battery was only 2/3 charged.
"He said he liked his EV, but only in summer. But he said only if it's not too hot, AC drains batteries very fast
And what if it is raining out and dark. Must use up energy for wipers and lights so your trip just got even shorter. But hey, you can keep the world from "BURNING UP"(bwaaaaaahhhhaaaaa) with your clean energy vehicle. Of course you must find some CO2 using energy source to slowly charge up your EV's in that cold weather, or else if the power is out, you are out of luck.

1705354369009.png

MSN And what if it is raining out and dark. Must use up energy for wipers and lights so your trip just got even shorter. But hey, you can keep the world from "BURNING UP"(bwaaaaaahhhhaaaaa) with your clean energy vehicle. Of course you must find some CO2 using energy source to slowly charge up your EV's in that cold weather, or else if the power is out, you are out of luck.

View attachment 888375
Yeah...after it hits 15 degrees outside the battery pack shuts down level 3 charging and will only allow level 1 and 2. Nissan engineering explained to me that this is done to prevent the temperature Delta factor in the battery pack from causing warpage in the casement and possibly shorting and leakage. This could lead to a fire. Fun stuff eh?

1965 Chevy Chevelles have that same problem ... in Iowa ... if your battery is getting old, then you won't be starting on -35ºF mornings ... from personal experience, why? ...

Forum List

Back